Hi, A couple questions on what year of WRX i should buy.

This is a discussion on Hi, A couple questions on what year of WRX i should buy. within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hello, im new to this forum and Subaru's. Sometime next spring im looking to buy a WRX, and with all ...

Post Hi, A couple questions on what year of WRX i should buy.

Hello, im new to this forum and Subaru's. Sometime next spring im looking to buy a WRX, and with all the time i have before next spring im researching and looking up all the different years of this car, and im wondering what the main difference between a 01-03 VS the 04? Just trying to figure out what one to buy. And also another question, Im going to be turning 18 in just a few months and im on my familys car insurance and i havnt called my insurance agent yet because im not 18 so they cant quote me for the price, but im wondering if anyone knows how much it will be monthly? (its liability insurance, not full coverage) Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Josiah621 View Post
    im wondering what the main difference between a 01-03 VS the 04?
    Revised mapping.
    Revised gears.
    Revised nose.
    Slight interior differences.
    Revised drivetrain arrangement and slight ratio differences in the output shafts etc.
    Revised emissions components and management.
    Different colour options available.
    Revised brakes, including ABS module.
    Revised cooling system, including radiator and turbo overflow reservoir.

And also another question, Im going to be turning 18 in just a few months and im on my familys car insurance and i havnt called my insurance agent yet because im not 18 so they cant quote me for the price, but im wondering if anyone knows how much it will be monthly?
    No.

The only person that would actually know is your insurance agent. If they don't, nobody does.

Any insurance cost numbers or experiences relayed here will not be useful.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Just btw, assuming you're stateside, there was no 01 wrx (there were wrxes in 01, but they were MY02).

It's mostly the face, but SD_GR got all of them. Basically, you'll see little difference performance wise (arguably a stronger transmission*), but I'd check a car more based on which looks better to you (and mileage, price, etc.) before considering physical changes in an 04 - well, except that STi parts can come locally instead of from japan, which is nice.

* IIRC, the transmission is a tad stronger, but not significantly at all. The biggest reason people stopped breaking their transmissions is that by 04, people who bought wrxes realized that they couldn't launch them like in an rwd car.
    My big thread: The Used WRX Buying Checklist - Please Contribute!

My current car: 2002 WRB WRX Wagon.
    Mods: GM BCS, Carberry SD rom, uppipe, AEM UEGO, Klunk Killer, F+R shifter bushings, head unit

Quote Originally Posted by poly_poly-man View Post
    Just btw, assuming you're stateside, there was no 01 wrx (there were wrxes in 01, but they were MY02).

It's mostly the face, but SD_GR got all of them. Basically, you'll see little difference performance wise (arguably a stronger transmission*), but I'd check a car more based on which looks better to you (and mileage, price, etc.) before considering physical changes in an 04 - well, except that STi parts can come locally instead of from japan, which is nice.

* IIRC, the transmission is a tad stronger, but not significantly at all. The biggest reason people stopped breaking their transmissions is that by 04, people who bought wrxes realized that they couldn't launch them like in an rwd car.
    Ok, cool thanks, i thought there was a 01 WRX, but i guess i was wrong :P As ive been researching im mostly sure im going to go with a 03' Going to try to get one with relatively low miles though so i can keep it for a long while.

if you get an 03 try n find one with a transmission code (which is located on the metal plaque on the drivers side strut tower) ending in BA instead of AA, this signifies its the updated stronger transmission

that was my only condition when buying my 03... i was lucky enough to find one with less than 60000miles too!

-Alex
    LIVE LOUD, ROCK HARD!!@

2003 WRX wagon 16g + 6 speed

Quote Originally Posted by mexicanzero View Post
    if you get an 03 try n find one with a transmission code (which is located on the metal plaque on the drivers side strut tower) ending in BA instead of AA, this signifies its the updated stronger transmission

that was my only condition when buying my 03... i was lucky enough to find one with less than 60000miles too!

-Alex
    I thought they threw the BA's in halfway through MY02, and that all MY03's had it?
    My big thread: The Used WRX Buying Checklist - Please Contribute!

My current car: 2002 WRB WRX Wagon.
    Mods: GM BCS, Carberry SD rom, uppipe, AEM UEGO, Klunk Killer, F+R shifter bushings, head unit

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by poly_poly-man View Post
    I thought they threw the BA's in halfway through MY02, and that all MY03's had it?
    My 2002 has the later gears.
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Ahh i thought it was in 03 my bad! in that case dont wory about it unless you get an 02
    LIVE LOUD, ROCK HARD!!@

Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    My 2002 has the later gears.
    This was my understanding too.

@poly_poly-man: Same story with the 2.5 WRX models... I remember a lot of users on here cursing Subaru for selling them "a time bomb" with the 2.5 engine and a WRX transmission. 100k miles on my '02, replaced the clutch at 60k, transmission's still solid.
    2002 Silver Bugeye WRX - Bugeye Mafia #327
    "Stage 2" + STI TMIC

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by devik View Post
    This was my understanding too.
    I remember wondering where the story came from that Subaru started changing the gears in 03 when in fact my 02 had the later gears, and that was around late 04 when the significance of the codes was becoming apparent to many end users.

Now it could be that Subaru simply used what gearboxes they had on hand during assembly depending on the intended market. I don't think the US turbo car ratios are different from the world market turbo car ratios (anybody?), for example, so maybe other cars got earlier gears even if they were assembled later for all I know.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by mexicanzero View Post
    Ahh i thought it was in 03 my bad! in that case dont wory about it unless you get an 02
    Ok LOL. Do i need to worry about the transmission if im not going to be launching it and using it on a track and things like that? because if not then i dont need to look for the stronger transmission :P

Ok LOL. Do i need to worry about the transmission if im not going to be launching it and using it on a track and things like that? because if not then i dont need to look for the stronger transmission :P
    Could save you money down the road. Im in the process of debating on which gears to get right now cause I have the weaker ones. I drive like I have some sense though and only really do 3rd gear pulls. Thats all I really need though lol.
    Chris
    02 Camaro z28 T-Tops, m6 49k miles
    Bolt ons and tuned - 349rwhp/362rwtq
    02 Ws6 T-Top,m6 80k miles
    Bolt ons/Cam/tune - 436rwhp/424rwtq

I Support ClubWRX
    You need to worry about the history of the car in general. The earlier cars are now getting to that age where they are inexpensive to buy but quite expensive to own. Who owned the car first and how they treated and maintained it will now cost you money -- how much depends on what did and didn't happen.

depends on you, i know I'm not an aggressive driver AT ALL on the street but i wanted the peace of mind knowing i was a little bit safer...
    the only difference is the gears are 1mm wider so its not like its twice as strong or anything... if you arent planning on doing too much in terms of power mods and if you're a fairly conservative driver on and off the track then theres no biggie

people still blow up the ever so tough 6 spds and people do get by for years with the weak 5 spds pulling 300-400hp+...

-Alex
    LIVE LOUD, ROCK HARD!!@