Hey hey just bought my self a WRX 02 my favorite bug eye! - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on Hey hey just bought my self a WRX 02 my favorite bug eye! within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I just bought my first WRX today!!!! 2002 BugEye, w/ 74k. I love it, I'm looking for some info into ...

Wrx noob

I just bought my first WRX today!!!! 2002 BugEye, w/ 74k. I love it, I'm looking for some info into them. It has a few things done already, perf radiator, short throw, cat back. What is recommended for budget upgrades, dont wanna throw too much in it yet. Know where I can find rear seat belts? Any advice, directions would be much appreciated!!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Today

Last edited by CS-BIGK; 07-26-2010 at 09:04 PM. Reason: wrong link

Holly bat balls batman!!! I had no idea about the cat thing grenading the turbo Im scared to drive my car now Im taking care of this asap like tomorrow. Thank you so much man! You probably saved me lots of money in the future Im sure!!

BIGK nice clean bugeye I like it man!

Very pretty car OP. They look so good n clean stock... I wish mine looked that clean but my original hood and trunk had hail damage so I started modding the exterior. Nice car though, Ive always had a soft spot for bugeyes too.
    Chris
    02 Camaro z28 T-Tops, m6 49k miles
    Bolt ons and tuned - 349rwhp/362rwtq
    02 Ws6 T-Top,m6 80k miles
    Bolt ons/Cam/tune - 436rwhp/424rwtq

Welcome to the club! Beautiful pics, great looking bugeye. I've owned my '02 since fall of '05. Yep, it's hard to believe I've had it almost five years. I still think the bugeye look is the best WRX design around, and you'll find more than a few of us who feel the same way.

Don't worry TOO much about the cat grenading your turbo. It's somewhat of an urban legend - yes, it can happen, and yes it's important to take care of ASAP, but don't let that prevent you from having some (safe) fun in the meantime. I had my stock UP for about 95k miles, no problem. As long as you do that before anything else, you're good.

It sounds like you're pretty knowledgeable already, but check out the stickies in the "Engine Modifications" and "Suspension Modifications" forums for some ideas of what to do, and perhaps more importantly what not to do. My last bit of advice... don't launch that car, don't clutch drop... rev-match as best you can, and that transmission won't be anywhere near as fragile as some people make it out to be.

Enjoy!
    Last edited by devik; 07-26-2010 at 10:50 PM.
    2002 Silver Bugeye WRX - Bugeye Mafia #327
    "Stage 2" + STI TMIC

What type oil is the best to use in my wrx? Its the turbo model so should I use a special oil for turbo engines or just stick with 5w30? The only reason Im asking is because I know they do make special oil for turbo cars but didnt know if it could be used for my car

Registered User GarrettKoonsman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mar1183 View Post
    What type oil is the best to use in my wrx? Its the turbo model so should I use a special oil for turbo engines or just stick with 5w30? The only reason Im asking is because I know they do make special oil for turbo cars but didnt know if it could be used for my car
    use a synthetic... There are tons of threads with this question being discussed, do a search. Personally i use full synthetic Mobil 1 5W-30
    2003 Midnight Black Pearl WRX Sedan
    200.7 AWHP Protuned Stage 2 at 5400ft above sea level
    Bugeye Mafia Member #225
    Mods
    Pics

Hey thanks after doing a lot of research I decided to use full syn from mobil 1 did a lot of research and called mobil one and what they were telling me about living on the east coast and based on the year make model and engine type they suggested full syn 10w30 because of viscosity during start up and engine running temp

Quote Originally Posted by GarrettKoonsman View Post
    use a synthetic... There are tons of threads with this question being discussed, do a search. Personally i use full synthetic Mobil 1 5W-30
    ^^^ Same. I've put M1 full synth 5W-30 in my car since the day I bought it (55k miles ago). Aside from being too poor to be able to change the oil -- or even pay for insurance or drive it -- for 6 months, it's had regular changes every 3-5k.

I try to change it every 3,000 miles, but if you live somewhere with lower particulate count, you might get away with more. Synthetic oil typically is pretty forgiving in that regard, but it's not an envelope you want to push regularly.
    2002 Silver Bugeye WRX - Bugeye Mafia #327
    "Stage 2" + STI TMIC

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    There are a lot of professional oil analyses performed showing how mobil1 has very poor film strength and overall protection than most competitors. I would suggest a second look.
    2015 CWP WRX STi on order ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax' Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    The REAL 'WTF Tuning?!' Progenitor
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero | Blobeye Synd. #Tree-Fiddy
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

I took out the stock uppipe cat with around 120k on the clock.

A note to consider also,

I'd go with jacking up the engine. Just use a block of wood underneath of course.

Oh yeah, and take off that damn manifold.

Good luck it's worth it. But hey, check this out, if you're going to tune the car or have plans to, don't perform this just yet if everything seems to be running right and you don't mash the hell out of it. you're gunna be messing with the exhaust and prolly am going to upgrade the downpipe/axleback anyway so might as well wait for that to do it all. Because the procedure does indeed suck for the average wrencher me being the first to admit it
    Northern Lights Customs

'Helpin' the hood, one can of spraypaint at a time

Bugeye mafia #321!
    XPT Stage II

Quote Originally Posted by Tenament View Post
    I took out the stock uppipe cat with around 120k on the clock.

A note to consider also,

I'd go with jacking up the engine. Just use a block of wood underneath of course.

Oh yeah, and take off that damn manifold.

Good luck it's worth it. But hey, check this out, if you're going to tune the car or have plans to, don't perform this just yet if everything seems to be running right and you don't mash the hell out of it. you're gunna be messing with the exhaust and prolly am going to upgrade the downpipe/axleback anyway so might as well wait for that to do it all. Because the procedure does indeed suck for the average wrencher me being the first to admit it
    What are you talking about when you say take off that manifold ? Sorry if that sounds stupid

sorry! exhaust manifold. It's part of the best damn up pipe install thread procedure

just take your time and prepare to swear when you need deep sockets and the lot to make your life a wholeeeee lot easier.
    Northern Lights Customs

'Helpin' the hood, one can of spraypaint at a time

Bugeye mafia #321!
    XPT Stage II

Quote Originally Posted by zax View Post
    There are a lot of professional oil analyses performed showing how mobil1 has very poor film strength and overall protection than most competitors. I would suggest a second look.
    If you dont loose oil pressure film strength means very little. Only time you'll notice that is on start up. No oil is going to coat like molasses when its hot. (like right when you get home and the oil runs back into the pan) ..

ultimately you want a oil with a high zinc content.. it helps best when there IS only a film of oil on a component.. especially on metal/metal contact parts.

If I'm not mistaken though, doesn't subaru spec Mob 1 for the sti's ? Personally I prefer castrol syntec.. once my warranty runs out and I start servicing the car myself thats what its getting. Currently, the dealer uses mob 1 at my request for synthetic oil.
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    My name is Shawn, I'm a Devout Practicalist and I'm addicted to flat4's
    This page has had 1,666 visits
    SUCH IS MANGO!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast