First WRX purchase -- help a nOOB out!
Results 1 to 12 of 12

This is a discussion on First WRX purchase -- help a nOOB out! within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I'm thinking of getting a used WRX. I'm comparing two, each for sale by local private sellers. They are both ...

  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    5

    First WRX purchase -- help a nOOB out!

    I'm thinking of getting a used WRX. I'm comparing two, each for sale by local private sellers. They are both basically the same price. Here are the options:

    1) A 2006, Factory SPT performance package, factory Recaro seats, factory Momo steering wheel, Momo shift, Boost gauge, Hybrid Garret GT35R compressor ball bearing turbo, Cobb Accessport with custom staged map. 4" to 3" turbo back exhaust.
    80K miles.

    2) A 2004, COBB Accessport tuner currently running stage 2, lowered with COBB springs and has 17' bronze Rota wheelsnew Yokohama S.drive tires.

    The 2004 also has some custom audio parts, and only 60K miles.

    So, I guess my real question is about the Garret Turbo on the 2006 model. Does that trump the new tires and lower mileage of the 2004? It seems kind of obvious to go with the '06.

    Anything I'm overlooking? Any reason the '04 has an advantage?

  2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Sammich Makin' Pwincess wrxtreme06's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    orlando flawduh
    Posts
    12,650
    I Support ClubWRX
    personally, i'd stay the heck away from the first one. heavily modded used subaru with that many miles = potential nightmare waiting to happen.

    the 04 has good mileage for the year & a stage 2 set up isnt too dramatic.

    if i had to choose between the two, i'd pick the 04.

    desiree
    your friendly, neighborhood subaru girl
    abbigale : 06 impreza wrx tr: cobb stage II
    hawkeye alliance #11:11//
    wingl3ss @ll!ance #17 // lvl 80 N.E.R.D.

  4. #3
    Registered User STi-Guy85's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Savannah GA
    Posts
    170
    I would also go with the 04. You have no idea whether or not the first one has been run with the proper supporting mods. Plus, face it, no one puts a G35R on their car, unless they are going to drive the crap out of it. Go with the 04, much safer choice.

  5. #4
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    5
    Interesting. That makes sense. I was looking at the aftermarket parts as "upgrades", without really considering that they could be a liability.

    The 04 also has: a Samco intercooler piping kit and aftermarket boost gauge. There are Kartboy front and rear shifter bushings

    Does the intercooler piping raise any red flags? Sorry for such noob questions. Anything that's not a 4x4 truck is foreign to me. I should also throw in that I'm not mechanically inclined at all, and how I buy it is very much how it will stay for the foreseeable future.

  6. #5
    Supporting Member mjboudreaux77's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Northern Vermont
    Posts
    843
    I Support ClubWRX
    You don't mention how much they are - so I am to assume they are somewhere around 15-16K? If so, I would stay away from both... Those "upgrades" are likely showing themselves as increased cost to you (I see it here all the time in Vermont).

    You could probably get a more reliable car, that you choose how to modify, for less money.
    If I don't die by Thursday, I'll be roarin Friday night - Jimmy Buffett

  7. #6
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    5
    Each is $12,500. But the 2004 has stated "negotiable". I do understand what you mean though. I've seen several WRX's that are modded to the point of being in the price range of an STi, or maybe even a well used Evo.

    I found another 2004, bone stock for $6,700, but it's got a rubuilt title. I want a daily commuter, not an autoX or "fun times only" car. So I'm concerned about a rebuild.

  8. #7
    Registered User STi-Guy85's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Savannah GA
    Posts
    170
    I think 12.5 is fairly reasonable. I don't think the intercooler piping kit raises nearly as many red flags as the turbo upgrade on the 06. Just remember not to rush into it, do plenty of research. These cars can only be modified in certain ways, and if done wrong, you could run into huge problems down the road. For example, this car with the 35r....Is the guy running a proper tune? This is a question I would certainly ask. In my opinion, the 04 is just a better choice....much less risky.

  9. #8
    Supporting Member mjboudreaux77's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Northern Vermont
    Posts
    843
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by STi-Guy85 View Post
    I think 12.5 is fairly reasonable. I don't think the intercooler piping kit raises nearly as many red flags as the turbo upgrade on the 06. Just remember not to rush into it, do plenty of research. These cars can only be modified in certain ways, and if done wrong, you could run into huge problems down the road. For example, this car with the 35r....Is the guy running a proper tune? This is a question I would certainly ask. In my opinion, the 04 is just a better choice....much less risky.
    Even if the car had a proper tune - chances are the turbo was upgraded and driven harder than one with a stock turbo. I read too many posts on this forum from people buying heavily modded cars - and being stuck with a laundry list of problems.
    If I don't die by Thursday, I'll be roarin Friday night - Jimmy Buffett

  10. #9
    Registered User STi-Guy85's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Savannah GA
    Posts
    170
    Quote Originally Posted by mjboudreaux77 View Post
    Even if the car had a proper tune - chances are the turbo was upgraded and driven harder than one with a stock turbo. I read too many posts on this forum from people buying heavily modded cars - and being stuck with a laundry list of problems.
    No, I completely agree with you...the point I was trying to make is that he has no idea to what extent the car has been abused.

  11. #10
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    5
    So these two are no longer options. The 2004 got sold before I could look at it. It was a 3hr drive away.

    But now I've found a bone stock 2004 (with exception of audio equipment). 76k miles, asking $10,5. Will hopefully look at it/drive it tomorrow.

  12. #11
    Supporting Member mjboudreaux77's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Northern Vermont
    Posts
    843
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by wintermute_85 View Post
    So these two are no longer options. The 2004 got sold before I could look at it. It was a 3hr drive away.

    But now I've found a bone stock 2004 (with exception of audio equipment). 76k miles, asking $10,5. Will hopefully look at it/drive it tomorrow.
    That seems high to me... Where I live, a stock 2006 Limited WRX is on craigslist for $14K.
    If I don't die by Thursday, I'll be roarin Friday night - Jimmy Buffett

  13. #12
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by mjboudreaux77 View Post
    That seems high to me... Where I live, a stock 2006 Limited WRX is on craigslist for $14K.
    Prices are all over the place in my area. The two I described above were 12k+, right now there's a 2002 on CList, also 12k (93k miles).

    This particular 2004 with 76k miles blue books for 11,6-good, 12,3-exec.
    Last edited by wintermute_85; 07-25-2010 at 06:46 PM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •