New Member, Evo owner, Darkside Lurker
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on New Member, Evo owner, Darkside Lurker within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hello everybody. I decided to check out the darkside because I don't know to much about Subaru. Well anyways let ...

New Member, Evo owner, Darkside Lurker

Hello everybody. I decided to check out the darkside because I don't know to much about Subaru. Well anyways let me introduce you to my Evo.

I've owned my evolution 8 for about 2 years. I bought it modified in Alaska with HKS 280 cams, HKS ignition DLI, HKS GT3076 turbokit, AEM EMS, and Tein springs.

I've since then switched to an AMS HTA35r setup, got my transmission rebuilt, new tune, and some other minor things like bushings, Motor mounts, roll center adj kit, etc.

My car was tuned at AMS performance making 465hp, 363Tq

Now I have a few questions about the STI's. I heard certain model years spin bearings quite soon. Ive also herd the engine leaks because the engine is a horizontal based engine and gravity stresses the seals. Are these just rumors?

Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Good news, everyone! xxxxxxxAnub1s's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Welcome to the dork side, I mean dark side.

I'm not a huge fan of Evos, in fact, I will never ever own one just based on my own principles, but I do respect them when the owners are genuine car people, which you seem to be, and those are some very nice numbers you're putting down. Little low on the torque side of things, but that's to be expected with a 2.0L inline motor, still nothing to turn your nose up at though.

Anyways, some STI and WRX motors are prone to ringland failure, this is mainly due to a verified horrible factory tune, but there is also an issue with the parts themselves, which have since been changed out and are no longer an issue. Subaru was very good about replacing motors due to these issues, though like any car company they can be rather stringent about it. The only real bearing issues that Subaru's have a problem with are wheel bearings at about 80k miles or so. Spun bearings can happen on any motor pushed past where it was originally intended to go, or if oil delivery becomes a problem or the owner is neglectful, which is no fault of Subaru.

As for the leaking, that's a fallacy. I've not had one single "leak" from either of my WRX's and I've now had both of them past 90k miles, the only time I had a leak was when I didn't replace the oil drain plug gasket, but that will happen on any vehicle.

Ask away any questions you may have, the community is great and open and we will do our best to answer whatever questions you may have.
    Cody
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #727 N.E.R.D #255.255.255.0

Your nighttime volunteer of near-useless information.
    Good news, everyone!

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.