2011 WRX's?? - Page 48
+ Reply to Thread
Page 48 of 50 FirstFirst ... 38394041424344454647484950 LastLast

This is a discussion on 2011 WRX's?? within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by G_REX Coming from a fellow BMW.... I'm critical_gp on e46fanatics.com....btw Haha that's funny, I think that makes ...

Quote Originally Posted by G_REX View Post
    Coming from a fellow BMW....

I'm critical_gp on e46fanatics.com....btw
    Haha that's funny, I think that makes like 3 of us to my knowledge now.

Glad you joined the site man!

You should make a lil intro thread and throw some pics up for all of us to see! (I saw em on e46f and it's gorgeous, nice shots too)
    --Anthony 2011 DGM WRX stg2+sf intake WTFtuned \_(ツ)_/

Official Subie owner as of 01/10/11
    Stink Eye Mob #87

Bye bye Bimmer
    Hellooo '11 REX

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Got my baby this past weekend (12/18)! I'm lovin it! This break in period is kind of a tease though....now I can't wait to hit that 1000+ miles mark so I can really start moving!
    OBP 2011 WRX 5 door...6500 miles and counting

[QUOTE=melacon;2645592]Swap out the head unit? Be prepared to lose ALL the integrated peripherals. Unless you want to spend $100+ just for the steering wheel adapter. You might find a decent double din head unit that has a USB, and bluetooth, ipod, aux jack, for $1000 plus or minus. Oh, and don't forget the wasted Sirius, that you would need the ~$100 kit for as well. It all adds up. So I did some OEM integration recently, using the Rockford Fosgate 3sixty.2, and BLAM! sounds like an aftermarket head unit with even more custimization (via PC bluetooth).

Just picked up my '11 WRX sedan, satin white Premium package w/o nav, has short shifter and carbon SPT rear accent trim on trunk lid. Love it--completely different car from my '07 WRX wagon, both in terms of driving feel and power.

Looking to upgrade audio a little bit, though. Was just speaking to a shop about having front Polk components/rear Polk coaxials and a 50x4 Alpine amp installed in conjunction with the factory HU.

Saw you went a similar route, maintaining the OEM HU with a speaker upgrade and amp--how happy with are you with the end result? I've heard mixed reviews--that the factory HU really needs to be upgraded to truly improve the sound. I'm not looking to win any awards sound-wise but would really like to sharpen up the the overall quality of the system while keeping the looks and functionality of the stock HU in place. You enjoying yours? Would the addition of a different HU make a drastic change in your opinion?
    Last edited by tnot; 01-08-2011 at 03:50 PM.

The head unit in these Subarus are severely lacking. Not only is the quality of the sound poor, I think the functionality is bad as well. If you have the satellite radio, you can only see one line of text. The top line is showing you what input you are using. Do I really need a permanant display of what is I'm on? How about Artists and songs?

Also, the USB Media hub was not worth the money I paid. I find it impossible to use it for anything other than a random shuffler of the music stored on it. It will take you the entire car ride to skip through each album folder to find what you want to hear. You can't skip around alphabetically, by sub folder, nothing. Only by folder which contains music, which is likely an album. I have a 32gb thumb drive, so it would take forever. So, instead, I just sync a large playlist and put it to shuffle. Also, if you have too much music, it will take an extreme amount of time (3-4 minutes plus) for the shuffle to complete reading your data and begin.

My situation was that I had spent money on the integrated parts, and did not want to lose them. Steering wheel controls aren't end all be all, but I use them every drive. I am very pleased with my current set up, as far as sound quality goes, with 4 amp'd speakers and a 10" sub. But the key to my current set up is that Rockford unit. I was blown away by the difference. I bet there are other line level converters that will clean up your sound a bit, but not like that. The unit will analyze the sound coming into it, whether is pre-outs or line level, and adjust each individual speaker's EQ to 'flat'. Then, you go in and set the crossovers, gains, and EQ curves you like. All of this by bluetooth to your laptop.

To answer your question, yes, I am happy with it. But I probably have $1200-$1500 total in there. But if I had replaced the head unit, I don't think my cost would have changed. I wouldn't have gotten the Rockford 3sixy, but I would have bought a fairly expensive double din HU, likely touch screen at least.

Look around for a different brand line level converter. You will probably have the functionality from you head unit and amps to keep you sound fairly balanced, but boy does that thing clean the sound up!
    USB Media Hub, Sirius tuner, Short shift kit
    V-LED Fog lights, DRL/Hi Beam, Low Beams, Red LED map lights, White LED dome light
    V-LED Front turn signals, License plate illumination
    Autolumination.com Rear turn signal, brake/tail lights, reverse LEDs, red Trunk light
    Rockford Fosgate 3sixty.2 Sound Processor, Sony Sony XM-ZR704 4 channel amp, 4x Infinity Reference 6032cf 6.5" speakers, Sony XM-ZZR3301 Mono Amp, Pioneer Premier TS-W2502D2 10" Sub

Interesting about the line level converter--that's excellent advice. So looking back, what would you do--keep the factory speakers and install a new HU, or replace the speakers and add a line level converter and amp to the factory HU?

U.S. Combat Veteran (3ID) Stu_Gotti's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Hey man, I see you're in the Park... I'm actually in the Park as well.
    My Build | Facebook | I may appear calm, but in my head I've killed you three times

Quote Originally Posted by Stu_Gotti View Post
    Hey man, I see you're in the Park... I'm actually in the Park as well.
    Sorry, Stu--not sure what the Park is. Details?

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by tnot View Post
    Sorry, Stu--not sure what the Park is. Details?
    Sorry about that, tnot - I was referring to melacon's location. Bit of a threadjack.
    My Build | Facebook | I may appear calm, but in my head I've killed you three times

Yep, I actually am, for 2 more weeks. My gf and I are building a house up in Mechanicsville, should be closing on the 20th. Have you seen either of our cars around? I have the only black 2010 WRX sedan around. I put slightly purplish tinted HIDs in there, windows tinted, and my blinkers blink really fast because of the LED bulbs I put in there. People say I should put the resister in there to 'fix' that, but I don't personally see it as a problem. I kinda like it. The other half drives an '06 Impreza 2.5i, same exact tinted HIDs. It's black and has the spoiler, nothing else different. We also just got our Subaru badges, woot!
    V-LED Fog lights, DRL/Hi Beam, Low Beams, Red LED map lights, White LED dome light
    Autolumination.com Rear turn signal, brake/tail lights, reverse LEDs, red Trunk light
    Rockford Fosgate 3sixty.2 Sound Processor, Sony Sony XM-ZR704 4 channel amp, 4x Infinity Reference 6032cf 6.5" speakers, Sony XM-ZZR3301 Mono Amp, Pioneer Premier TS-W2502D2 10" Sub

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by melacon View Post
    Yep, I actually am, for 2 more weeks. My gf and I are building a house up in Mechanicsville, should be closing on the 20th. Have you seen either of our cars around? I have the only black 2010 WRX sedan around. I put slightly purplish tinted HIDs in there, windows tinted, and my blinkers blink really fast because of the LED bulbs I put in there. People say I should put the resister in there to 'fix' that, but I don't personally see it as a problem. I kinda like it. The other half drives an '06 Impreza 2.5i, same exact tinted HIDs. It's black and has the spoiler, nothing else different. We also just got our Subaru badges, woot!
    I do see you once in a while. I currently drive a tC, which at one point had blacked out headlights... I have my 11' ordered, just playing the waiting game now.

Quote Originally Posted by tnot View Post
    Interesting about the line level converter--that's excellent advice. So looking back, what would you do--keep the factory speakers and install a new HU, or replace the speakers and add a line level converter and amp to the factory HU?
    Since Subaru doesn't use any decent type of speakers, or a system amp, I'd say I'm partial to my set up now. I do WISH I had the coolness tech factor of a 7" touch LCD like I put in my gfs 2.5i, but I like all the bells and whistles I have now. Until you see the 10" in the trunk, it's a complete "sleeper" audio system. Basically, you can modify the output of the head unit to sound much better, but you can't make a speaker play notes it physically can't reproduce.

Quote Originally Posted by penukoko View Post
    First day of Utah powder, awesome session!

The road was only open to 4x4 and chains, the snow tires handled it no prob. Awesome handling even in deep snow... So stoked on this car
    PS The new '11 fenders look absolutely sick on a front profile view. Makes me want an '11 over my '10 so bad! Plus, I LOVE the new STi wing. I wanna poach one...

I'm still confused why people complain about the radio... Did you buy the car for the radio?? I hope not..

To me the sound in my 2011 is worse than my previous 03 and 06 wrx's, and the worst factory sterio I've ever heard. That said, I love the steeting mounted controls, ipod, bta, and aux imputs. Never had those before though. I did not buy the car for the sterio, and knowing how bad it is id still buy it again. Just wish all cars in this price point came with decent sound. Utimately if I have to pick luxuries or performance, performance wins every time. I think that is why people complain, but its really my opinion.

Thanks for your opinion. I was just confused. I have an '07 WRX Limited and the sound is pretty damn good IMO. I mean it's not like a Bose or whatever other top brands are out there but it's still decent.

I've never test drove ANY other cars at a dealership since I bought my WRX in May '07... lol

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.