Subaru WRX Forum banner

Help me reach my 250whp goal

9K views 39 replies 13 participants last post by  EJ257 
#1 · (Edited)
I have a 02 wrx bone stock I just bought it so I'm new to this.
I want to reach 250-300 whp can someone help me with a good setup without spending a lot of money. Thanks

#2 ·
With out spending a lot of money is a tough one. Depends on your idea of "a lot" is. I would suggest looking on Craigslist in your area and poking around the for sale forums here. There is a lot of guys selling there stuff for cheap.

But a good way to start would be up/down pipe. Catless of course and your exhaust. I know a lot of people like doing the turbo back.

Do the easy free mods like your snorkus delete, makes your turbo sound awesome and in my opinion frees up a lot of space in your engine compartment.

If you have a local tuner after you get some of your mods done take it to them or buy a COBB access port.

Doing all your pipes you should be able to get the stage 2 map and be around 280ish.

There are a lot more guys that know more than I do on here but that is my 2 cents. Hope it helped some.

GOOD LUCK

#11 ·
+1

If it were a 2.5l 280 isnt gunna happen easily, but you could get 280wtq. Stage 2 bugeyes are around 220whp on Cobbs map, protune 250 could happen. Get a 16g and your goal will be met. 18g if you aiming for 300. Numbers are just that tho, if you feel the cars fast enough, who cares what it puts down.

#5 ·
Welcome :)

Wrx364 said:
I want to reach 250-300 whp can someone help me with a good setup without spending a lot of money. Thanks
If you have a # goal in mind, contact the person doing the tuning and ask them what modifications they would need to hit that goal on their dyno.

Tattooed11Bravo said:
I dont think 280 is high at all there is 5 wrx's on the island with a badass tune and those mods and the dyno says between 275 and 286
Which is exactly why dyno numbers are pretty worthless; they would probably barely be over 200whp on a dyno around here.

#6 ·
280whp is def waaaaayy too high for a stage 2. You'll need to get rid of the td04 and get a VF-xx turbo or 16g, injectors,tbe and up pipe and bigger intercooler and custom tune.

#9 ·
aside of what the more experienced folks have said.. remember this it applies to all things internal combustion

cheap, reliable, fast

pick two. If you want to play, you have to pay.. especially if you want it to hold together.

if you dont want to spend alot of money, leave the car alone or forgo the high expectations. Not trying to be an ass, but reality sucks man.

#12 ·
Id say look into a used vf39 w/ sauporting mods and a deicent tune... I'm not sure if you'll have to upgrade your injectors and fuel pump on a 2.0 for this... (at least you don't have to most of the time for the 2.5) but that might land you around 275ish whp and about 320 to the crank... you can do this for the $1200 range if you price and shop it right... and IMO if you can gain around 100chp for under $1200 I think its a pretty good deal... try that with a N/A...

#18 ·
Theres been 4 years of wrx with a 2.5L, couldnt tell what you were talking about. Still tho, you show no proof of a 280whp stage 2. Only car I see doing this is a new Sti or 09 wrx. Your sti makes 250 whp from what I read in another thread, maybe you should definately find a better tuner.

#20 · (Edited)
Yea I should have been more specific about which car I was talking about. Unfortunately you have read another thread wrong. My car put down 304WHP at stage 2, tuned by Scott Seigel of Topspeed Atlanta.

Obviously I realize that different dynos and different locations and elevations produce different numbers. These numbers were on a Dyno Jet dyno.

303.8WHP/338.4WTQ
Invidia TBE
APS 65mm CAI
Opensource Tune

#21 ·
Your right, I read it wrong. I thought you said you had 250hp and 303tq, my bad. Its very different though depending on so many things, and the STi already is rockin the vf39 or a better turbo or the 2.5 so big difference from the older wrxs. I still say numbers are just that, numbers. A car can dyno different numbers on different days and different elevations. So, I say if the OP thinks his cars fast enough, dont matter what it puts down.

#24 ·
06scoobyrex said:
280whp would be very easy to get out of a sti, you could probally get very close with just a stage 1 map...
Considering I have more modifications than a simple StageII setup and I haven't broken the 260whp mark, I must need a new tuner :rolleyes:

#32 ·
This is gonna go on forever....

to the op... build your car depending on what you use it for.

If it's daily driven, stage 1 or 2 will work for you depending on wether you want to keep your cats in or not.

If not, set your goal on on acheiving a ceirtain time on a drag strip...

Dyno numbers are there to be used as a constant for tuners to see deviations in power and nothing else.

Sort of like how k = 1/2Mv^2 ...

So you see, this whole argument about horsepower readings on the dyno is quite pointless :rolleyes:

#36 ·
I'm sorry for starting this whole conversation. We can sit here all day saying "his stage 2 got this...." The point is, there are so many factors out there that effect these numbers, that there is a huge range of results with the same exact mods. And for the guy who said they have more mods than stage 2 and still haven't reached 260, what kind of dyno are you on?

Just out of curiosity.

#37 ·
Dynos are unreliable anyway and its hard to get the same number twice... all I was stating was that there have been dyno readings of them hitting all over the board... that link below states that there has a dyno on a stock sti putting down 264whp... its a stupid arguement but I'm just going off what I have researched that is all... people can call bs all they want I'm not the only 1 that has claimed this...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.