New guy from RI/PA 02 wrx

This is a discussion on New guy from RI/PA 02 wrx within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; just joined, got a stock 02 wrx. Wondering if anyone had any ideas of where to start engine wise and ...

New guy from RI/PA 02 wrx

just joined, got a stock 02 wrx. Wondering if anyone had any ideas of where to start engine wise and exterior wise. Right now alls im working to put in it are HIDs

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Welcome to the club man. As far as starting engine mods, just remember to take it slow, and do lots of research. There is a ton of info and knowledge here to help you along the way. Good luck!

Thanks man, i wanted to look into exhaust sets, and either a intercooler or short ram intake...got to also look into getting tunes though. dont know much about my area an garages

Thumbs up

got my bug eye last year
    love it!!!!!!!!
    favorite year
    i started light
    perrin up and down pipes
    spt exhaust
    k&n intake
    sti intercooler
    and still need to get tuned
    heard actual tune is better than maps
    ???

stage 2 clutch with stronger gears
    ppg

stronger bushings
    motor mounts exhaust mounts etc...

for the body i got pink i badge
    05 thailights
    tinted fogs yellow
    threw on 06 wrx wheels
    painted em black
    i like the small stock wing
    looks like spec c
    8)
    sti hood scoop

need to post pics

everything was done really cheap
    like guy said below
    be patient and always look in local classifieds!!!
    gl and great choice

oOH!!!

the tranny work wasnt cheap lol
    that **** cost alot!!!!
    clutch went
    and then when i upgraded clutch my 1st gear got ate up
    replace with racin gears
    8)
    5th gear still stock

Sammich Makin' Pwincess wrxtreme06's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    First Modifications - what to do and not to do

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=533787

also- you cant just throw HID's bulbs on your bugeye. i believe a proper HID set up is close to $1000, someone correct me if i'm wrong though.

http://www.danielsternlighting.com/t...nversions.html

desiree
    your friendly, neighborhood subaru girl
    abbigale : 06 impreza wrx tr: cobb stage II
    hawkeye alliance #11:11//
    wingl3ss @ll!ance #17 // lvl 80 N.E.R.D.

thanks for the links, it gave me a little bit of an idea of where i want to start. And i found out you acn put hids, but it scatters the light an can be sort of "illegal" so im also looking at housings.

But thanks for all the help

Banned
    I Support ClubWRX
    You're looking at $300 if you can fabricate them yourself or $700-1,000 to buy HID headlights or have them retrofitted.

what would i do to fabricate them myself.

Get an uppipe as your first mod - about $150 - $200 new (less used), and depending on your skill with cars, between an hour or two and a day to get it in by yourself (or an hour or two and a few pizzas and beers with some subie owners in your area).

The uppipe that your car has now has a catalytic converter which is known to have, on several occasions, fallen out and killed the turbo. Get an uppipe without a cat, and you don't need one with an egt bung - if it has a bung, you will cover it with a bolt anyway. Read some info about that in unabomber's manifesto, some threads here, etc.

Beyond that: without an upgraded turbo or other "serious" mods like that, an intake definitely won't help much, and an intercooler will only help marginally. The stock intake is actually very good - I would, however, suggest that you change out the turbo inlet, and if you'd like, there are some things you can do with the resonator to get a bit more flow. A bigger TMIC wouldn't be a horrible idea, but definitely don't go FMIC unless you upgrade the turbo - it simply introduces far more lag than it's worth in hp.

If you want a known-good amount of power, stage 2 is probably a very good idea for you. That's where you replace the TBE (about $1000), and get a tune (varies widely). I think it's generally agreed that this can pull you up very close to 300hp, which really is quite fast. Too much more and you seriously have to consider new driveline components.

Other mods I would suggest looking into would be suspension and other handling - wheels and tires can make a big fashion statement, but also make the biggest difference in handling.

As far as your lights, just remember to be careful about how you do the HID's - we don't appreciate people who blind people here. I quite like the idea of getting the foreign headlights for bugeye and modifying from there, but you can see what works best for you.

And remember - if you do everything as I just described, you'll actually have my car, not your car... so do what you want . Just don't hurt it too much and we won't mess much with you (if you put a BOV on we will shun you forever.)
    My big thread: The Used WRX Buying Checklist - Please Contribute!

My current car: 2002 WRB WRX Wagon.
    Mods: GM BCS, Carberry SD rom, uppipe, AEM UEGO, Klunk Killer, F+R shifter bushings, head unit

The only question i have about the uppipe is that when i take the cat out, wont i have to start paying for inspection sticker? because it wont pass inspection without a cat right?

Quote Originally Posted by Funkboi View Post
    The only question i have about the uppipe is that when i take the cat out, wont i have to start paying for inspection sticker? because it wont pass inspection without a cat right?
    as long as they don't go for a visual inspection (this is very rare), you'll be fine. It will pass an emissions sniffer without the precat, but if you get any part of the turboback without at least a high flow cat, you'll hit issues. If you do the resistor CEL fix, you'll pass OBD emissions as well (and your CEL will go off).

As long as you're not in california, these mods are fairly fine - even NY makes it not-too-bad.
    My big thread: The Used WRX Buying Checklist - Please Contribute!

My current car: 2002 WRB WRX Wagon.
    Mods: GM BCS, Carberry SD rom, uppipe, AEM UEGO, Klunk Killer, F+R shifter bushings, head unit

I get inspected in pa, but living in rhode island for school.

Banned
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Funkboi View Post
    what would i do to fabricate them myself.
    Somehow you're gonna have to install different optics in your headlights.