Newb looking for some insight

This is a discussion on Newb looking for some insight within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hi everyone, I don't own a WRX, but, was hoping to join the site and learn some stuff about them ...

Well Hello.

Hi everyone,

I don't own a WRX, but, was hoping to join the site and learn some stuff about them before I make a purchase.

I've been into cars since I was a wee little one, mostly American Muscle and am still that way...however, turbocharged 4 bangers have quite an appeal making big power and still good on gas...haha.

But, I have always loved the WRXs, because, IMO, they are like the muscle cars of Japan. Beefy, good looking, and no more frills than needed...haha. When and if I get one, it'll be the 04-05 body as thats my favorite...but, really, I don't think any of them are bad looking at all...so...04-05 isn't necessity. But...I just have a few questions...

If I get one, it would remain mostly stock for awhile till I finish school (one more year of HS then college), then I'll start modding it. But, in stock trim, how do these cars run/last. And, are they a real pain to work on? If I were to get one with around 50-75000 miles, can I expect a lot of life left.

As I said, I've always been into V8s and older 4 cylinders, and, everything I've had has been pop the hood and everything is easy to get to...haha.

But, just recently I've had an 87 Conquest TSI that I sold, and currently have a 1985 Dodge Omni GLH (Supercharged 2.2L) and a 1985 Dodge Shelby Charger (2.2L Turbo) that I'm planning on offloading for a hefty down payment on a scooby.

So...whats everyone's insight for me? Are these good cars for DD that I can do most of the work myself?

I'm also hoping to find a dealer with one local that way I can test drive one to make sure I like it...I know I will...but, you know...haha.

And, sorry for the huge post.
    Last edited by strang3majik; 07-05-2010 at 10:07 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Sammich Makin' Pwincess wrxtreme06's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    at 50,000+ miles or so you have NOTHING to worry about as long as the car has been properly maintained. that's the key. we have a thread here.. the "high mileage club" and there are many many members with beyond 100k miles running strong.

as far as daily driving- it's a great car. i unfortunately didnt get to experience the stock form of my car for very long. i only had it a few days before i started modding. definitely take one for a test drive and see how you like it.

& last but not least- as a whole they are very easy to work on. every maintenance & modification has been done in my own garage with basic tools. if you have any general mechanic/car knowledge, you'll be fine.

the ONLY thing that you need to do is research research research if you plan on modding. this isnt your typical tuner car [honda, srt, etc] you cant just throw stuff on & expect it to run properly.

here are some links for you:
    http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=533787

First Modifications - what to do and not to do
    Last edited by wrxtreme06; 07-06-2010 at 03:34 AM.

desiree
    your friendly, neighborhood subaru girl
    abbigale : 06 impreza wrx tr: cobb stage II
    hawkeye alliance #11:11//
    wingl3ss @ll!ance #17 // lvl 80 N.E.R.D.

Quote Originally Posted by wrxtreme06 View Post
    at 50,000+ miles or so you have NOTHING to worry about as long as the car has been properly maintained. that's the key. we have a thread here.. the "high mileage club" and there are many many members with beyond 100k miles running strong.

as far as daily driving- it's a great car. i unfortunately didnt get to experience the stock form of my car for very long. i only had it a few days before i started modding. definitely take one for a test drive and see how you like it.

& last but not least- as a whole they are very easy to work on. every maintenance & modification has been done in my own garage with basic tools. if you have any general mechanic/car knowledge, you'll be fine.

the ONLY thing that you need to do is research research research if you plan on modding. this isnt your typical tuner car [honda, srt, etc] you cant just throw stuff on & expect it to run properly.

here are some links for you:
    http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=533787

First Modifications - what to do and not to do
    ^This

Welcome to the Club

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    welcome!

I have to disagree with Dez below... the WRX is not as easy to work on as an I4 per se... the H4 architecture provides a little challenge even when performing an easy task such as changing your spark plugs... but all-in-all, most mods are not overly difficult to install. It is definitely true that the WRX does not respond to mods as -ahem- gracefully as, say, a Honda Civic. There's no assurance that you can bolt on an intake and your car will run like a champ. Not without a tune, in the very least.

I will venture to say, however, that these cars are fantastic daily drivers. Ample power for those of us who don't spend hours at the drag strip, and with a few accessories (even just stiffer swaybars), you will be able to tackle the twisties in a way that will leave the contents of your stomach on your lap . Looking forward to having you on board
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

Amazing cars...

I myself came from all 5.0 mustangs and still have a fox for that matter but there is no match for the quality and finish of a WRX. I would suggest taking it for a test drive and looking into insurance costs as well. Find out exactly which one that you want depending on how much you will demand from it i.e. STI or WRX. If you plan on going with big power all the way and no holds barred then go STI you will not regret it... I myself and getting back into a WRX shortly as well and will most likely get the new 2011 WRX in hatch form, once Cobb releases Stage 2 I will put it on and done. My 2005 WRX ran stage 2 all day long with no problem. Just don't launch it and ram through the gears like you can with RWD... it is a totally different and better feeling car IMO. As others said the car is very finicky in terms of modding so I would recommend having a local tuner do adjustments on the tune every time you upgrade so you will be getting the most of the car reliably... It is not a hemi that you can just throw every bolt on in and drive off smiling... these cars need special attention but you will be highly rewarded for the attention to detail... good luck in your endeavors...

Thanks everyone for the welcomes and advice.

And believe me, I owned a Chrysler Conquest TSI (ie...Mitsubishi Starion)...I know about finicky motors...lol

The 2.6L IC Turbo I4 with throttle body, yes, throttle body injection...lol Great cars and they sure do run for what they are...but...80s computer technology...ick...lol

But, as I said, I'd be keeping it mostly stock at first. Being in the 13-14 sec is enough for a DD
    Also, any owner's near englewood, FL? Or even Hanover, PA since thats where I'm at for the summer to give me a ride in there's? haha.

Also, I would love to test drive one...problem is though, I know once I do, then that'll be all she wrote and I may not return to the dealer. haha.

And, I'm glad to hear that most stuff can be done myself. I consider myself pretty well mechanically inclined, but, I know when its not worth me hating my car to do something...
    For example, the Z28 my dad had, the engine actually had to be dropped down from under the car to change the spark plugs...

So...stuff like that is what I'm trying to avoid.

But, thanks again everyone for the welcomes. I'll be lurking here reading up and learning everything I need know (as I have the Mitsu 2.6s) so that I can make an educated purchase. Glad to be a part of the site, and am happy to see people are as nice here as I have heard.
    Yes, the news is all over the web you guys are nice people
    Last edited by strang3majik; 07-06-2010 at 06:17 PM.