If i wanted fuel economy i'd buy a pushbike

This is a discussion on If i wanted fuel economy i'd buy a pushbike within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; From the first time you ever took a WRX for a test drive would you really buy one for its ...

If i wanted fuel economy i'd buy a pushbike

From the first time you ever took a WRX for a test drive would you really buy one for its fuel economy or because it is one of the most exciting cars you have ever driven. Be it in a straight line or the twistiest hilly roads, tarmac, gravel, dirt, a WRX can do it all.
    They are addictive and like any addiction you need more.

Or is it just me ?

My name is not Lance Armstrong but you my friends can call me Richard Legweak "can't you push that gas pedal any harder"
    Don't be soft Richard, harder, faster, more revs 4000rpm drop the clutch 5500 into 2nd 6000 into 3rd 6500 into 4th 7000 into 5th 180 kph bloody speed limiter Damn that Shelby Cobra was fast, i'll take you next time Muzzy.
    Hey
    ( it's just my opinion, besides my WRX it's all i have )

Disclaimer
    I cannot guarantee the accuracy nor intelligence of my opinion. But promise to express it free of charge.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Hello! It's not just you, but it's also not right IMO. It's been said before but frankly I disagree.

Why would one tolerate poor efficiency in the 21st century? Isn't poor fuel economy an anachronism? Since materials and management systems have come so far, why would anyone not expect high efficiency no matter what the output of the motor?

A car that just wastes fuel doesn't, by definition, "do it all" no matter how fast or interesting it might be otherwise.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I would like to dissagree with your dissagreement

Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    Hello! It's not just you, but it's also not right IMO. It's been said before but frankly I disagree.
    Why would one tolerate poor efficiency in the 21st century? Isn't poor fuel economy an anachronism? Since materials and management systems have come so far, why would anyone not expect high efficiency no matter what the output of the motor?
    A car that just wastes fuel doesn't, by definition, "do it all" no matter how fast or interesting it might be otherwise.
    My car doesn't just waste fuel but a lot of time as well.

Your new fuel efficient car or any subsequent newer fuel efficient car you may purchase could never be as fuel efficient as my classic WRX/gas guzzler/daily driver/weekend racecar,dragcar,rallycar/open road tourer if you take into account the fuel or energy used to produce your new fuel efficient car or any subsequent newer more fuel efficient cars you may purchase.
    I think 350 to 550 ks to a tank of fuel is good economy for the variety of uses my car serves and if i was to drive at 75kph without having to stop start and never boost the turbo i bet could get over 650ks.
    But i think i would prefer to get one of them new fangled fuel efficient pushbikes.
    In the 21st century would you recycle or is that not the American way, should we produce more, use more, throw away more.
    Please don't consider my classic WRX/gas guzzler/daily driver/weekend racecar,dragcar,rallycar/open road tourer as a 20th century dinosaur producing giant greenhouse gas turds but as a recycled work of art and enjoy it's beauty and function if not it's hydrogen, hybrid or electric car beating fuel efficiency.
    Hey

Disclaimer
    I cannot guarantee the accuracy nor intelligence of my opinion. But promise to express it free of charge.

I Support ClubWRX
    It's probably true that efficiency is better served by a car that already exists rather than a car that has to be built, even if the latter car is more fuel efficient and pollutes less.

I'm not familiar with the American way.

Still, I think our use should be reduced as much as possible and I know we have the technology to do so. For example, I was disappointed to see Subaru go to a 2.5L motor. To most that meant "more power, more torque" but to me it was an admission of defeat -- to me it meant "we can't make a smaller motor more powerful but more efficient at the same time." I'd have been happier to see a 2.0L with higher output and less fuel use, or even better a smaller, say 1.8L, with the same output as the 2.0 but again less fuel use.
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Evolution

Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    I'm not familiar with the American way.
    So that's why you have a japanese car and not a hummer or pickup truck with a loaded gun and a 6pack of bud within reach.

I think my reply was a contradiction because if my car had never developed and been improved upon from its predecessor then purchased new buy its 1st owner i would not have brought it 2nd hand and started recycling it, plus i guess the parts and process of recycling also consume energy.
    Also i would not have known the pleasure it has given me and the new people and new forms of motorsports it has introduced me to.
    Perhaps performance isn't as important as safety, handling and fuel efficiency with buyers of new WRX's.
    As humans we are still evolving and every thing we produce is evolving, it is a continual process, perhaps i could evolve a little faster, i'll put that on my to do list.
    Many great cars have grown larger on their success as a small car.
    Think more, say less is my new motto.
    Hey

Disclaimer

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by R Hole View Post
    So that's why you have a japanese car and not a hummer or pickup truck with a loaded gun and a 6pack of bud within reach.
    Not entirely. I can borrow a pickup truck when I need one so I don't have reason to buy one. I do own firearms and have had a Bud (light; I'm not supposed to drink alcohol at all but made an exception) within the last 24 hours.

plus i guess the parts and process of recycling also consume energy.
    They certainly do, so it's probably a good idea to think about all the energy costs vs. all the future benefits when deciding what's best for cars etc. I suppose.

Perhaps performance isn't as important as safety, handling and fuel efficiency with buyers of new WRX's.
    I'd just like to see the car and all cars develop so that none of these exclude any of the others. I'd like to have it all. I'd like the next WRX to make 300 HP from a 1.5L motor, emit less, and use less fuel in doing so than my 2.0L motor that only makes 227 HP.

As humans we are still evolving and every thing we produce is evolving, it is a continual process, perhaps i could evolve a little faster, i'll put that on my to do list.
    I like that thinking, I'll look into it too.

I love my WRX and I'd like to think it can do it all. It takes me from point A to point B with groceries in the trunk and people in the back. It makes my commutes better and more exciting. At the same time with fuel economy I've tried being more fuel efficient with my right foot. So far my in-dash mpg meter tells me i'm getting 31.2 mpgs. The highest I've calculated was 29.27. If i wanted fuel economy I'd still buy a WRX

I got the car because it was fun to drive on any surface. While it did what I needed the most which was fit at least 4 other people comfortably, do everyday chores that involves driving, and be fun and semi gas saving. I love it and I will prob never choose another car. In 3-5 years I will prob trade my 08 in for a newer wrx or sti.

I'll toss out a big fat does of American attitude.. (I've served my country, I've earned it)

I got the car because Ilove it.. end of story, no further explanation required.

anyone who doesn't like it..can {}

fyi, bud sucks.. I'd rather drink my own piss.

and they can take my guns out of my cold dead hands.. that I promise you.
    Last edited by SD_GR; 07-10-2010 at 10:24 PM. Reason: I served my country too but let's not swear in this forum.
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    My name is Shawn, I'm a Devout Practicalist and I'm addicted to flat4's
    This page has had 1,666 visits
    SUCH IS MANGO!

I Support ClubWRX
    This discussion has covered everything from recycling to mass produced beers. Let's keep enjoying it without swearing -- some is tolerated in Off Topic but generally nowhere else. Anyway, I'm off to sleep...

lol.. c'mon man I thought thats what the swear filter was for

I was actually having fun with the topic of the thread.. but, if I offend anyone I'll apologize now.
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    My name is Shawn, I'm a Devout Practicalist and I'm addicted to flat4's
    This page has had 1,666 visits
    SUCH IS MANGO!

I bought my vette largely because of the fuel economy, if I was buying a four banger you can rest assured that I'd be purchasing because of it. . .

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by mangostick View Post
    lol.. c'mon man I thought thats what the swear filter was for

I was actually having fun with the topic of the thread.. but, if I offend anyone I'll apologize now.
    No worries.

Quote Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
    I bought my vette largely because of the fuel economy, if I was buying a four banger you can rest assured that I'd be purchasing because of it. . .
    I think it was Peugeot had an ad in Car that read If you want something sensible, buy an anorak. I thought that was very clever of them.