New, But a few questions

This is a discussion on New, But a few questions within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; So as you can see I am new to the forums, but I have a few questions to kinda get ...

Question New, But a few questions

So as you can see I am new to the forums, but I have a few questions to kinda get my mind straight. The two models im looking at are the 2011 Subaru WRX and the STI, the big decision is which to go with. I know the new WRX is 265bhp, and the STI is 305 which power band wise isnt a huge difference between eachother.

One big decisive factor for me is that I plan on juicing out the warranty untill it goes out, and don't plan on voiding it; essentially going for Certified Dealer Parts. Which is kind of the reason im leaning more for the STI.

Now I have test driven both of the 2010, one being the hatch the other being the sedan, and I enjoyed both. Nice quiet rides across the board, but the one thing that caught me is the ride height, which then again leans me into the STI yet again.

Now what I do plan on doing is modding it after the 36 months bumper to bumper starts to die and the only thing thats left is the powertrain. Now I do see alot of bolt on options, intake, manifold, etc. One thing I have looked at the the stock turbo can take 14.7 psi on the VF48, which im pondering if its the same turbo theres using on the 2010 versions. As well stage kits are where the powerband increase and was just curious if the Dealer has a stage kit aswell? or they are all aftermarketed with either HPtuners or any other PCM tuning device

And I know from alot that ive typed it may seems like ive picked the STI, but I generally like the opinions of others who may of picked the wrx just for the fact of suspension differences, looks, etc.

Looking forward to some replys and insight that will lean me in the right direction!

Thanks, Matt

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Welcome...
    If you have the money for the STI get that it is ALOT better platform out of the box... The dealers don't offer stage kits, but have a few performance upgrades ie suspension, cat-back exhaust, air intakes, and I think a performance flash...
    read the stickys up in the forum area for first mods what to do and what not to do, this will give you alot of ideas on what your car is capable of... and remember the search button is a newb's best friend!!!
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #801
    The Impreza "this was repaired/replaced at what mileage" database (Please Contribute)
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/showth...57#post2688257

Thanks, the car im replacing is a 2007 saturn ion redline twincharge, and without motorswapping or stroking out the motor its met its cap. Now one big thing ive been stuck on is LBs for injectors, getting used to CC is gonna take me a bit to catch up on, but ya ive been leaning alot more into the sti vs the standard wrx

If your eye is performance (and this is NOT just in a straight line), go sti - the difference in parts is worth over five times the difference in cost... engine, suspension, brakes, but especially the driveline - the differentials are probably worth it by themselves
    My big thread: The Used WRX Buying Checklist - Please Contribute!

My current car: 2002 WRB WRX Wagon.
    Mods: GM BCS, Carberry SD rom, uppipe, AEM UEGO, Klunk Killer, F+R shifter bushings, head unit

Quote Originally Posted by poly_poly-man View Post
    If your eye is performance (and this is NOT just in a straight line), go sti - the difference in parts is worth over five times the difference in cost... engine, suspension, brakes, but especially the driveline - the differentials are probably worth it by themselves
    which is almost the reason why ive been leaning to the STI more, which in fact I dont have to worry about upgrades for small things since the majority of them would be done.

Quote Originally Posted by Fizbandantalus View Post
    Thanks, the car im replacing is a 2007 saturn ion redline twincharge, and without motorswapping or stroking out the motor its met its cap. Now one big thing ive been stuck on is LBs for injectors, getting used to CC is gonna take me a bit to catch up on, but ya ive been leaning alot more into the sti vs the standard wrx
    thats cool... I actually like the Ion Redline's ALOT better looking then the SS's IMO... The Subaru community is awesome especially here, most people here are very friendly and VERY helpful. NASIOC.com has a lot of good info but, people there are stuck up their asses, they like to rip people a new one for no apparent reason so avoid the noid...
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #801
    The Impreza "this was repaired/replaced at what mileage" database (Please Contribute)

Thanks for the heads up, ive already had to deal with a company like that, ZZP, which is why I still have 3 of their PCMs till they were going to fix mine, but that was 6 months ago and they still never fixed it...

And ya I am the only redline here in Clarksville, TN. Just dont like seeing 900000 people have the same car as I do, like the mustangs here for example are spreading like the plague

Quote Originally Posted by Fizbandantalus View Post
    Thanks for the heads up, ive already had to deal with a company like that, ZZP, which is why I still have 3 of their PCMs till they were going to fix mine, but that was 6 months ago and they still never fixed it...

And ya I am the only redline here in Clarksville, TN. Just dont like seeing 900000 people have the same car as I do, like the mustangs here for example are spreading like the plague
    That sucks... I live in SL,UT and the big thing here is neon srt4's, DSM's, Subaru's, and V dubs... Do you have any pictures of your ION?
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #801

I have a engine bay pic, dont think i have one of the car in a full shot though, lemme see if i can find one.

Edit: have an old video of it but ill see if i can photobucket it

Not the correct image but its the same kit, ive already sold the manifold, FMIC, turbo, etc to another redline. But its pretty much a parts fest atm so the money can go toward the STI.

Ill link the video of the idle so u can see it.

http://s649.photobucket.com/albums/u...t=IMG_0027.mp4
    Last edited by Fizbandantalus; 07-03-2010 at 09:36 PM.