New/1st 2010 WRX - Fayetteville, AR - Hello
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on New/1st 2010 WRX - Fayetteville, AR - Hello within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hey guys, I just turned 30 monday the 28th and for my Bday just got my first subaru. Went first ...

Banned

New/1st 2010 WRX - Fayetteville, AR - Hello

Hey guys, I just turned 30 monday the 28th and for my Bday just got my first subaru. Went first for the 08 used on the local lot but ended up not being able to finance the amount I needed rolling my old loan into it. But they called me back offered me a new one since my credit was over 800, I got a 1.9% rate vs a 6.5% rate and an extra 1 year of payments so I just left last week with a silver '10' 4 door.

941 Miles so far and loving it. Tell me anything I may need to know or do first

Thanks guys, im damn happy to be here, this has been the best car ive ever driven to date.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Nice! congrats on the new ride and happy birthday!

we could tell ya till blue in the face, but what do YOU want out of the car? Handling, looks.. .. need to know whatcha want before we can help lol

my mods are in my sig.. so far, I've been absolutely impressed with the results for how little I spent and how easily the parts were installed.
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    My name is Shawn, I'm a Devout Practicalist and I'm addicted to flat4's
    This page has had 1,666 visits
    SUCH IS MANGO!

Great b-day present. Congrats on the new car.

Sounds like the best Birthday Present EVER!!

As was stated earlier, a lot of it depends on what you want

Daily driver, track car, a mix, kid mobile, bendies etc etc

Happy Bday

Quote Originally Posted by trueX View Post
    Hey guys, I just turned 30 monday the 28th and for my Bday just got my first subaru. 941 Miles so far and loving it.
    Tell me anything I may need to know or do first

Thanks guys, im damn happy to be here, this has been the best car ive ever driven to date.
    The first thing to do is enjoy it
    Step 2 when it becomes comfortable modify then enjoy some more
    repeat step 2 until your addiction is cured
    Hey
    ( it's just my opinion, besides my WRX it's all i have )

Disclaimer
    I cannot guarantee the accuracy nor intelligence of my opinion. But promise to express it free of charge.

Banned
    Thanks for all the feedback guys!!

Well overall it will be a daily driver. I work about 1 block from my house, so to work and back I drive maybe .5 miles round trip. I really dont want to hardcore tune too much as im looking to keep the full warranty just to be safe. No track time, mostly driving around the city on the weekends and shorter road trips.

#1 & #2 Priorities [Power & Looks]

Power - I would really like to get this car up to 305 hp just as a future benchmark. I was thinking of upgrading to an aftermarket Up-pipe first, then a Down-pipe but 100% want to keep the power train warranty. That being said, is SPT the only brand im allowed to use for these 2 parts, and still keep the power train warranty?

I think I have made up my mind on NOT getting a BOV as much as I wanted one for a few reasons. 1. It just says "I have a turbo", 2. Does not have any type of proven short or long term gains, 3. Just drawns un needed attention to my car and says "pull me over please"

I have also decided to not get a Cat-back exhaust and just go with the Up and Down pipes. Reason for this is, I just came from a v8 truck with flow-masters and honest, having the car run and not being able to hear it really impresses me, and when im on the interstate, the engine sound when getting up to speed it too sweet to drown out.

Will be switching to a K&N or equal brand air intake filter, just a drop in aftermarket replacement. This with the Up and Down pipes should be good for 20 hp at the wheels so im reading when combined (not exactly as much as you gain individually, but with both and not doing engine retuning, you dont get the full gains)

Banned
    Looks - I really want to turn some heads as there are NOT a lot of scooby's around here. 20% tint goes on next week. Was possibly going to get the WRX front Marque plate for it to eliminate the bare look w the 2 default holes.

Momo short shift knob & SPT boost gauge for the inside. SPT turbo heat shield, SPT oil cap and battery hold downs all in to dress up the engine bay some and maybe the carbon fiber rear piece to replace the current chrome one that is below the subaru emblem and above the license plate.

Handling - This is my third and final priority and my only small thoughts on this were to get a front strut bar to stiffen up body roll a small bit, and get the STI perf springs from subaru. They let the car ride 10mm lower and would further reduce body roll and hopefully a small bit of handling.

Thoughts??

TYIA

I don't think subaru has any sti springs available for the 09+ cars yet. I know they have them for 08's.. but those are pretty much the spring rates we (09+ owners) already have.

would be nice to use a set of oem-esque springs and settle the car down a little though.

As for performance, any tune will wipe your drivetrain warranty IF you get caught. Now, that in mind.. the cobb ap allows you to "unmarry" from the ecu and reflash back to a "pre-married" state. From what I'm told, its basically a snapshot of what it was before the ap is "married" to the ecu. So each time it goes in for service, just un-marry it. The AP will also allow you the flexibility to tune for any changes you might make physically, data log if its showing a issue.. etc.

fyi, a aftermarket exhaust pieces ahead of the cat WILL give your dealer the willies about warranty claims and they may deny them. They have to prove your mod did the damage.. but still it will be a hassle. There aren't any upgrades spt wise for the up pipe or down pipe.. and honestly, you dont need to change those to gain from a tune unless you want to go stage II.

question, are we talkin 305hp at wheels or at the crank?
    factory numbers are at the crank.. there's a big difference between the two. Just so you know.

I'd advise to leave the exhaust parts alone and go with a stage I tune (either a stage I ots map from cobb or have a local shop familiar with the ap do a pro tune) You likely wont make the 305hp mark (@crank) with just a tune but it will be a sharp improvement from stock. If you want later you can always do the downpipe and re-flash for stage II or again have the car pro tuned by a shop familiar with the ap.

the k&n will only give you service life advantage, it doesn't free up any hp. I have one and get slightly improved fuel mileage but thats about it. I put one in so I didn't have to buy a new filter every time we get those pollen bursts the mid atlantic is known for.
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    SUCH IS MANGO!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by mangostick View Post
    I don't think subaru has any sti springs available for the 09+ cars yet. I know they have them for 08's.. but those are pretty much the spring rates we (09+ owners) already have.
    I have my pamplet that came with the car its a little fold up thing called "2010 Impreza WRX/STI Accessories and is from Subaru.

"STI Performance Springs"
    "STI Springs are stiffer than stock and lower the vehicle ride height by about 10mm. The lower center of gravity can reduce body roll and result in noticeable improved handling.

B2010FG200 (STI Front - 2 required)
    B2010FG300 (STI Rear - 2 required)

maybe we already have those, but I dunno was just reading what it said, would like clarification on if these are actually an upgrade, or if they are just listing them for maybe lower model regular Impreza's?

There aren't any upgrades spt wise for the up pipe or down pipe
    they also have listed an
    "SPT Performance Exhaust System"
    "Blah blah feature stainless steel construction , smooth mandrel bends for low restictions. Both systems incorporate optimized tubing diameters and exhaust tips that are polished and etched with the SPT logo.
    D441SFG000(WRX 5-Door)
    D441SFG100(WRX 4-Door)
    D441SFG200(WRX STI)

again, that maybe we can search a part # and find out exactly what that kid includes.

Banned
    I was looking for 300-305 at the crank

Here is what ive found so far

http://www.iagperformance.com/shoppi...SFG100&cat=718
    Last edited by trueX; 07-05-2010 at 04:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by trueX View Post
    I have my pamplet that came with the car its a little fold up thing called "2010 Impreza WRX/STI Accessories and is from Subaru.

"STI Performance Springs"
    "STI Springs are stiffer than stock and lower the vehicle ride height by about 10mm. The lower center of gravity can reduce body roll and result in noticeable improved handling.

B2010FG200 (STI Front - 2 required)
    B2010FG300 (STI Rear - 2 required)
    hmm.. maybe they have released a set. When I went into the dealer and asked last week during my oil change the parts guy said they hadn't released a set for the 09-10's yet. He very well could be wrong. I'll have to check on this too.

they also have listed an
    "SPT Performance Exhaust System"
    "Blah blah feature stainless steel construction , smooth mandrel bends for low restictions. Both systems incorporate optimized tubing diameters and exhaust tips that are polished and etched with the SPT logo.
    D441SFG000(WRX 5-Door)
    D441SFG100(WRX 4-Door)
    D441SFG200(WRX STI)

again, that maybe we can search a part # and find out exactly what that kid includes.
    Those are cbe's my friend "cat back exhaust" .. remember your down pipe houses a cat.. and subaru wont offer you anything that alters the emissions equipment. An up pipe is "pre-cat" so again, they wont offer one that will alter the cars factory spec emissions. Would be nice, but with todays gov't regulations and litigious ways.. its a huge liability for the company to offer that equipment. Even the aftermarket will label those parts as "for off road use only" to cover the ol behind.

cbe's on the other hand you can find all over the place. Good for sound, doesn't do a whole lot for performance. The tune is where the hp is.

aha, side note.. I know exactly where IAG is. Its right down the street from my buddies place. I've always wanted to wander in there and see what they have goin on. I'm hearing good things about them.
    Last edited by mangostick; 07-05-2010 at 05:47 PM.
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    SUCH IS MANGO!

Banned
    Those are cbe's my friend "cat back exhaust" .. remember your down pipe houses a cat.. and subaru wont offer you anything that alters the emissions equipment. An up pipe is "pre-cat" so again, they wont offer one that will alter the cars factory spec emissions. Would be nice, but with todays gov't regulations and litigious ways.. its a huge liability for the company to offer that equipment. Even the aftermarket will label those parts as "for off road use only" to cover the ol behind.

cbe's on the other hand you can find all over the place. Good for sound, doesn't do a whole lot for performance. The tune is where the hp is.
    So pardon my ignorance but its always better to ask then assume. So your telling me a CBE regardless if its from SPT or not should be ok, since its not altering emissions and inner workings of electrical parts on the car?

Just wondering bc most CBE's are pretty cheap compared to $900 +tax for the SPT one. Id rather spend less and get a better brand than SPT if possible. All that nice etching I doubt will get noticed lol

ty for the feedback so far.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.