I guess I can't talk like a man. So this is the repost
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on I guess I can't talk like a man. So this is the repost within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I finally got my 05 WRX. I feel like I might have been SCREWED over. Long story short. I traded ...

Registered User Tattooed11Bravo's Avatar

I guess I can't talk like a man. So this is the repost

I finally got my 05 WRX. I feel like I might have been SCREWED over. Long story short. I traded my VERY clean 03 G35 in for this 05 WRX. There's a few small thing I need to fix and that's no big deal I expected this. But when I got in my car this morning there was a Good size puff of white smoke that came from the exhaust. I have checked my oil, looks/smells good. Checked the radiator fluid looks good. Oh yeah. I forgot to tell you that all the fluids were changed 3 days ago. It was also inspected by the mechanic and he signed off saying it was good. I have a horrible feeling that I'm going to have to replace the gasket.

What do you think???

P.S
    There is no oil leaking from under the car, so I don't beleive the block is cracked.

Thanks for reading

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    If you consider taking it in the ass talking like a man, I'd hate to here girl talk.

Was it a one time thing only?

If not... my spidey senses tell me it's your head gasket.

I just said that cause I got an e-mail saying I can't use that kind of talk cause people of all ages red these treads and it offensive. So i figured I'd be a smart ass with the title

GRTSCOTT

I just got the car last night. So this is the first morning that I had the change to start it. When I went to the dealer and he started it for the first time that day i didn't notice that it smoke. I'm hoping maybe they just put to much oil in or some ****. But I checked the stick and it looked fine. I'm sure it's the head gasket. I found some for $60 shipped. It's just getting to those things is what's going to be a pain

I Support ClubWRX
    Is the car stock?

How many miles?

Before tearing into anything I'd at least test both the cooling system and the cylinders. There may be nothing wrong with your car.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

The car is mostly stock from what I can tell. The guy who owned it before me put a HKS BOV and a boost control that sits in the engine compartment ( I can take pic of the engine if you'd like) It has 70k. What's the easiest way to check that stuff, just take it to someone?

I Support ClubWRX
    You can check the cooling system by renting a tester; it's a rad cap with a hose attached and a manual bellows that allows you to pressurize the system when the motor is off. You measure pressure loss with an attached manometer.

Do you only get this smoke at cold startup?

You could start on the motor with a compression test but would then look into some sort of leakdown test depending on your results.

This is all still a shot though since even if you do have water loss into the cylinders it does not have to be the head gasket(s).

Is the CEL on?
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

No the CEL isn't on. The cars running great. It's just the white smoke on cold start.

I Support ClubWRX
    Keep an eye on oil and water levels over the next few weeks.

You could consider an oil analysis (see Blackstone Labs) as that'd tell you if there is water in the oil definitively.

If the car is not running stock boost and is not mapped for whatever parts are on it, either return it to stock or get it tuned locally.

Ok i will keep an eye on that stuff and find someone to tune it. Thanks for the input. I just hope it doesnt get worse over time

I Support ClubWRX
    We don't know what, if anything, it is yet. The car has been modded though so a thorough looking-over would be good. Since you did take it to a mechanic before buying you've done something to stack the cards in your favour.

Look around the links in my signature for more info, and check out the maintenance and other fora too.

Congrats and good luck.

SD

I am by no means an engine or a subaru expert, but I am thinking MAYBE the previous owner used some SeaFoam cleaner on it before it was sold? Just to clean out the internals. Could just be some residue left over. But good luck and let us know if anything is found.
    Stink-Eye Member #83
    2010 WRX Hatch Limited, Obsidian Black Pearl with Sports Grille
    Tinted windows/tails, TurboXS CBE

So to day was a much better day. Yesterday after triple checking all the fluids and having them turn out fine I had noticed something. The guys who changed the oil from the dealer had forgotten to put 2 quarts of oil in the car. So i bought a quart of that high speed engine oil (sorry I'm having a brain fart on what it's called) followed by a quart of oil.AND......... when I started the car up this morning. NO SMOKE. So I hope it stays this way. Thanks to all for the help. Take care all.

Banned
    I Support ClubWRX
    Car is incorrectly modded and that can lead to problems. Though there could be nothing really wrong.

~5 yrs ago my WRX would leave a spy hunter smoke screen upon start up until it warmed up. After 5 or so months, it stopped and totally went away. No missing coolant, no missing oil.

[edit] You updated while I was typing. High speed engine oil + regular oil?
    Last edited by brfatal; 06-25-2010 at 02:27 PM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.