08 Impreza WRX

This is a discussion on 08 Impreza WRX within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Absolutely new to owning anything foreign so ya I will need lots of help. I have a good deal going ...

08 Impreza WRX

Absolutely new to owning anything foreign so ya I will need lots of help. I have a good deal going with the parts dep where I purchased the car and have a Magnaflow exhaust on its way. They are installing it for me. Exhaust plus install is going to be 440. They are checking on a cold air intake for me. What should I do next??? I have no clue about the programming so where do I go for that.

By the way I love the car. For as low as the stock HP is it sure does get moving.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Welcome,

Gotta do some pretty heavy reading:

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=533787

Is your first stop in my book. Check stickies around here too. You really have to read with these cars. Darn snail complicates everything it seems.

I'd scratch the cold air intake. Stock intake is good for 300+hp. Also could cause the engine to run rough if you are unlucky and/or don't get a tune.

Exhaust... You mean cat back or turbo back? If it is turbo back, you will need a tune to get your performance benefits from the downpipe. Also might run rough until you do. I know uppipe REQUIRES a tune. I think downpipe you are okay, but won't see any performance increase. Cat back is mostly just for sound preference, very little hp gains. Downpipe will open your car up.

Tuning... Access port from cobb or tactrix seems to be the way to go unless you go to a shop for a pro tune. Even then some shops will require you have one of the two so they can tune it. Tactrix is open source. It's cheaper, but you have to know what you are doing to use it. The tune can be downloaded as a 'base map' and then tweaked to your car with some patience and reading. The access port is a plug and play tuning solution. The tunes are "off the shelf" and are not tweaked to your car. You use base maps depending on what mods you have installed. This is an easy alternative, but you are looking at $400+ for a used one. Also, the tune is not car specific. Read over the engine management stickies.

Good luck, enjoy your ride, and post some pictures up
    Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex
    He was throwing balloons filled with sulfuric acid and shrapnel at the swat team. They finally had to take him down with rubber bullets.
    2011 STi Build Log
    -Part 1 - Reading, Data Logging, and Analyzing Data
    -Part 2 - Turbocharger 101 & Basic Boost Control
    -Part 3 - EcuFlash, Experimental Defintions, and a Drive By Wire Intro

I am wanting to do within Warenty whatever will fix the car falling on its face at around 5000 rpm. From what I had read on reviews about the car that was to be expected. I am trying to get things together so I can just order Tue parts I need. I am not looking to race it or make ridiculous power (YET) like I said I need to stay within Warenty. For the next week or two I don't have time to do much heavy reading so any inputs would he greatly appreciated.
    Thanks Les