Itching to Mod

This is a discussion on Itching to Mod within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I got my 2010 WRX hatch back in march along with an extended warranty. So far, I've only tinted my ...

Itching to Mod

I got my 2010 WRX hatch back in march along with an extended warranty. So far, I've only tinted my windows, changed speakers, new headunit, shiftknob, tail light overlay. So its all cosmetics, now I'm itching to modify it for speed.

I will have to cancel my extended warranty, which is about $1400 back in my pockets hopefully after pro-rated. I want to pick up a Invidia V4 Catted DP, Invidia Q300, and AP ($1500). I checked the price for opensource at a tuner, its about $450. So if I just use the AP pre-loaded maps for Stage 2 is that comparable? I am not mechanically inclined or want to try to buy a tantrix cable to run the opensource map myself.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

the AP builtin maps are okay, but they certainly aren't going to be as good as a protune. You can get a protune with an AP, in fact many tuning houses prefer them. It's really your choice; if you like the looks of the opensource tools and can use your laptop in your car, I'd say go for it - you won't get those "stage 2" maps (well, unless you ask some of the people who make free maps), but you'll get a lot more insight with the datalogging, easier tuning if you want to do it yourself (it's really tough, but at least you have access to the maps - for better or worse), and a well-respected medium for tuning by the experts.

If you want easy, go cobb. If you want cheap and extensive, go opensource.
    My big thread: The Used WRX Buying Checklist - Please Contribute!

My current car: 2002 WRB WRX Wagon.
    Mods: GM BCS, Carberry SD rom, uppipe, AEM UEGO, Klunk Killer, F+R shifter bushings, head unit

Captain James of the SS Impreza has gone down with the ship Drews's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    I wouldn't mod until your warranty runs out. If you were itching to mod then you should have gone with an older car.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #Eleventy,000,000,000|N.E.R.D. Member 20,000
    Stable: 2014 Hyundai Veloster Turbo (Matte Grey), 06 LGT, 03 WRX, 98 RS, 00 OBS

Resident Clubdub Debbie Downer. I'd love your ideas if you kept them to yourself. Subarus suck, get a new wife.

Never argue with idiots. They'll drag you to their level and beat you with experience.