Make it happen...
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on Make it happen... within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Ok guys, I've been saving up for an STI and I've figured it is going to cost me about ,800 ...

Make it happen...

Ok guys, I've been saving up for an STI and I've figured it is going to cost me about $4,800 a year for Gas, Insurance, and maintenance on the car, its a **** load of money. But i can definitely pay it, my parents are just are planting doubt in my head, "Thats majority of the money you make in a year, are you sure you want to do that?", I'm sure you get the picture. I know that i want this car, its my dream car, but i just need some reassurance, i know the choice is ultimately mine, but tell me what you guys love about owning your Wrx's and Sti's!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I only have a wrx... not an sti
    Things i love though... i live in the northwest and i'm an avid snowboarder... AWD is amazing for the snow basicly no matter what...

Since gran turismo 3 came out, the only car i wanted was a wrx... and i am extrememly happy about it.. i've only had it for about 8 months now (since september) and i havent even touched mod'ing it until now.

Its amazing to drive! it handles beautifully no matter what road conditions i am in. my car is basicly bone stock yet i'm still beating most of the "ricers" around here. For example, two hondas were trying to race in front of me the other day. i got behind the one i thought was faster. It took off and i stayed right behind it then after it over took the other honda, i dropped a gear and blew past him.. There was no better feeling to see the guy's girlfriend's jaw drop as i blew past them... =)

Now that i feel that i want to upgrade it a little bit, its going to make me feel like an all new car again =)
    '88 Sub Justy *Rock in oil pan killed on freeway
    '87 Honda Civic *Bad pistons (to lazy to fix)
    '85 Nissan 200sx *Blown engine drifting
    '00 Sub Outback *Mother literally stole
    '92 Toyota Tercel *Hated it
    '02 WRX '07 kawasaki ninja. * current

Quote Originally Posted by d_Ziggy_2000 View Post
    I only have a wrx... not an sti
    Things i love though... i live in the northwest and i'm an avid snowboarder... AWD is amazing for the snow basicly no matter what...

Since gran turismo 3 came out, the only car i wanted was a wrx... and i am extrememly happy about it.. i've only had it for about 8 months now (since september) and i havent even touched mod'ing it until now.

Its amazing to drive! it handles beautifully no matter what road conditions i am in. my car is basicly bone stock yet i'm still beating most of the "ricers" around here. For example, two hondas were trying to race in front of me the other day. i got behind the one i thought was faster. It took off and i stayed right behind it then after it over took the other honda, i dropped a gear and blew past him.. There was no better feeling to see the guy's girlfriend's jaw drop as i blew past them... =)

Now that i feel that i want to upgrade it a little bit, its going to make me feel like an all new car again =)
    Thats exactly what i needed to hear!
    Keep em coming...

To me owning a WRX is more than just owning a car. It gives me pride when i drive on the road knowing I am a part of the "Club", and that I have a nice reliable, good looking, sporty car. Makes me happy everytime I wave to fellow SUBY owner and he smiles and waves back. Sounds like for your situation owning a WRX is more practical. I used to have my mind set on owning a STI but then I realized the money I saved on insurance and purchisng the car I could make a WRX look good and make it faster and still have money left over to enjoy my self. But do what ever you think will make YOU happy in the long run.

Or how about that rumble of the boxer engine?
    I'm bout to get new catback exhaust and opening it up a little bit. I have a catless up pipe and now going with the exhaust.. thats it and i'm going to be out putting what... 240hp? i bought my 02 wrx for $6800... what other cars can do that with that much money? well i should say AWD cars.. haha

There is a hwy up where i live.. hwy 2 if you know wa state at all... well the speed limit is 55-60mph... yet at one of the curvy areas i was hitting 90.. and the more i go the better my car hugs the road and seems to want to be unleashed... i dont know about you but thats the most amazing feeling

(believe it or not.. no speeding tickets in it yet)

Or how about that rumble of the boxer engine?
    I'm bout to get new catback exhaust and opening it up a little bit. I have a catless up pipe and now going with the exhaust.. thats it and i'm going to be out putting what... 240hp? i bought my 02 wrx for $6800... what other cars can do that with that much money? well i should say AWD cars.. haha

There is a hwy up where i live.. hwy 2 if you know wa state at all... well the speed limit is 55-60mph... yet at one of the curvy areas i was hitting 90.. and the more i go the better my car hugs the road and seems to want to be unleashed... i dont know about you but thats the most amazing feeling

(believe it or not.. no speeding tickets in it yet)
    Man, your killing me i want my car now!
    yeah i know highway 2, i actually live in washington state too.

Alright.. so you know hwy 2... well you know from stevens pass down to ellensburg... the windy road... well i avereaged about 80 going the entire way... i made it from south everett area to stevens pass in 45 min then the rest of the way to wenatchee in just under hour and a half for the entire trip... the higher altitude i get... the smoother it seems to run =)

Even how I drive it (which could be more efficent) I get about 20mpg city and 26mpg on hwy...

i get pushed back in my seat even up to 4th gear when the turbo kicks in at about 3500rpm.. it is so amazing that my girlfriend STILL gets giggly because of it...

shall i stop making you jealous? haha

Alright.. so you know hwy 2... well you know from stevens pass down to ellensburg... the windy road... well i avereaged about 80 going the entire way... i made it from south everett area to stevens pass in 45 min then the rest of the way to wenatchee in just under hour and a half for the entire trip... the higher altitude i get... the smoother it seems to run =)

Even how I drive it (which could be more efficent) I get about 20mpg city and 26mpg on hwy...

i get pushed back in my seat even up to 4th gear when the turbo kicks in at about 3500rpm.. it is so amazing that my girlfriend STILL gets giggly because of it...

shall i stop making you jealous? haha
    hahaha i can listen to more...

Haha well since you live in WA as well.. how bout i show you how amazing it is to feel that power?

Quote Originally Posted by Mc Suby driver View Post
    To me owning a WRX is more than just owning a car. It gives me pride when i drive on the road knowing I am a part of the "Club", and that I have a nice reliable, good looking, sporty car. Makes me happy everytime I wave to fellow SUBY owner and he smiles and waves back.
    I've had my WRX for about 3 weeks now, and every WRX I see on the road, the driver waves at me. It really is like a club. We're part of the small percentage of the population that really understands the amazing power::money ratio that Subaru has offered. You really can't beat it. It makes me proud to drive something you can go an entire day without seeing another of.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by NewKid5
    Ok guys, I've been saving up for an STI and I've figured it is going to cost me about $4,800 a year for Gas, Insurance, and maintenance on the car, its a **** load of money. But i can definitely pay it, my parents are just are planting doubt in my head, "Thats majority of the money you make in a year, are you sure you want to do that?", I'm sure you get the picture. I know that i want this car, its my dream car, but i just need some reassurance, i know the choice is ultimately mine, but tell me what you guys love about owning your Wrx's and Sti's!
    I understand where you're coming from, but I agree with what your parents are saying.

The fact that they're still giving you advice means that you're in the younger demographic. Having a real nice car that consumes all your money will get old quick. The WRX/STi isn't going anywhere - take the opportunity to stash money away before real life kicks in and it becomes more difficult.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Mc Suby driver View Post
    Sounds like for your situation owning a WRX is more practical. I used to have my mind set on owning a STI but then I realized the money I saved on insurance and purchisng the car I could make a WRX look good and make it faster and still have money left over to enjoy my self.
    +1

..Get a WRX for now. You are not in the situation to stress yourself and go upside down on a car. If you have extra money leftover you can throw a few mods on. Better than not having enough for the car itself. You can always fix what you don't like about the WRX later on.

Insurance cut will be HUGE for you. Also keep in mind, if you buy either of them, keep your driving record straight. My caddy when I was 17 had too much power for my own good, luckily I never got pulled over. It makes a huge difference in insurance.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex
    He was throwing balloons filled with sulfuric acid and shrapnel at the swat team. They finally had to take him down with rubber bullets.
    2011 STi Build Log
    -Part 1 - Reading, Data Logging, and Analyzing Data
    -Part 2 - Turbocharger 101 & Basic Boost Control
    -Part 3 - EcuFlash, Experimental Defintions, and a Drive By Wire Intro

if i were you, i would go with a wrx. i got mine when i was 16 and i dont think i could love it anymore if it was an sti. considering you can get a bugeye in good condition for about
    8k, you should have enough money left over to give it some personal touches. i live in redneck central, KY. im sure this will apply to just about any area but from my personal expirence, being 16 or 17 and having park bench on the back of your car is like begging to get pulled over for no reason.(i dont know how old you are but im assuming you are younger) just thought i would add that last bit since noone else has. basicly, if you can afford them, sti's are great. i dont know if you have gotten insurance quotes yet but im pretty sure if you do, you will be supprised. another thing you prob. havent thought of is what happens if you blow a turbo or throw a bearing. i know it isnt likley to happen if you take good care of whatever you get, but if you are spending all your money on insurance, i doubt you will have enough to get said sti running again.

anyway, thats just my $0.02. take what you want from it
    Last edited by Price is right; 06-18-2010 at 06:23 AM.
    bugeye mafia #232
    World Rally Blue 2002 WRX Stage 2 290 awhp
    my mods

Up here in WA.. the insurance for mine isnt that bad... and i have quite a few tickets from other cars on my record.. i'm only 21 and i can still afford it... =)
    I was debating the same thing.. wrx or sti... hmm...
    well how i saw it.. is it is cheaper getting just a wrx then adding stuff here and there... i dont know about you guys but i get kind of tired quick on the car i have.. so if you add something to it here and there... it makes it feel all new and exciting... plus if you buy a car thats already expensive and cant put money into it, then you cant really customize it to what YOU want.. the sound YOU want... thats how i felt when i got mine

I finally took the plunge about two weeks ago on a 2010 WRX and I have absolutely no regrets. I'm only 18, but the WRX has been my dream car for years and I've been working on the farm and saved up enough to get one. I was very hesitant to actually buy the car when I realized I had the money and a good deal, but I'm soooo glad I did. You can make the money back, plus you'll be proud of your car.

And also, all the women love my subaru

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast