Considering a 2010 WRX hatch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Considering a 2010 WRX hatch within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hey folks! Been a WRX admirer for years. Went shopping and arranged a deal on a 2010 WRX wagon, blue, ...

Considering a 2010 WRX hatch

Hey folks!

Been a WRX admirer for years.
    Went shopping and arranged a deal on a 2010 WRX wagon, blue, with STI shift knob (meh), Short shifter (Yeah!), boost guage (yeah!) for 24999. Love the color and the looks of the hatch.
    Getting a fair trade on my 2004 Focus SVT.
    I wanted a premium, but very hard to find with the 11's due in. (mainly for just the steering wheel controls and better stereo)

Comments on price?
    Don't laugh but I am looking for versatility for this car.

This will be my DD 90% of the time, 72 mile RT commute, light traffic and few lights, 45-55 speed limit.
    I am currently getting 30 mpg on the FSVT for this trip with a little spirited driving. I get 28 mpg highway on cruise at 77, drops 1 mpg at 80. The FSVT uses premium also.
    I am in South Florida, so 93 octane and good gas is readily available.
    I need the hatch for versatility. When I go cave diving I load up with about 400-500 lbs of gear and it's usually a 800 mile total trip for a long weekend. It does involve some light off-road stuff.

What are your opinions as a DD?
    What can you get 'normal' driving for MPG?
    What can you get on long highway cruises at 80?
    How is it for light off road?

I am a bit of an enthusiast...
    My other two vehicles are a 5.4l F250 4wd (for towing the boat and home depot runs)
    ...and a 500 rwhp turbo charged 03 Mercury Marauder (self installed) (low 12's with crappy 60', not bad for a 4400 lb luxury sedan)
    and an 04 RK custom ---slightly modified
    Last edited by merc; 06-17-2010 at 11:55 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by merc
    The WRX/STI is a fine DD, and a fun weekend car. It's not as refined as other cars in this price range, but if you're looking for refinement, you shouldn't be looking at an entry-level sedan on steroids.

YRMV, but I'm content with my 18-20mpg. I go on "fun runs" a few times per week, so there isn't a tank of gas I haven't been pushing the car pretty hard.

What can you get on long highway cruises at 80?
    Speed limit's 65 here - I don't drive 80

I've gotten up to 23MPG on a trip to FL last year, though.

I drive ~1,000 miles/year on dirt or seasonal roads without an issue. You need to use common sense, though.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post

Speed limit's 65 here - I don't drive 80
    It's 70 here. Long stretches of the turnpike, some with 30 + miles between exits.
    Even at 80 you are going to get pushed and passed like you are standing still most of the time.

Aren't you folks proud of your rexes?

Please give me some feedback!!!!!!

(18-20 around town and 23 highway is depressing me! Surely you don't all get that)

I Support ClubWRX
    They aren't known for their mileage to be honest.

Did you test drive one? That is when most people seal the deal =).
    Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex
    He was throwing balloons filled with sulfuric acid and shrapnel at the swat team. They finally had to take him down with rubber bullets.
    2011 STi Build Log
    -Part 1 - Reading, Data Logging, and Analyzing Data
    -Part 2 - Turbocharger 101 & Basic Boost Control
    -Part 3 - EcuFlash, Experimental Defintions, and a Drive By Wire Intro

Yes I did. Quicker then my FSVT, much slower then the Marauder, but I shouldn't really compare it to the insanely fast luxury sedan.
    Gearbox is much slushier then the FSVT 6 speed Getrag (even with the sts) . Handling is less then the FSVT (I have the Ford Spec Racing suspension) but ride, comfort, road noise and amenities are much better.

All my questions have nothing to do with a test drive and everything to do with owner experience.

On all the other forums I am on the enthusiasts are more forthcoming with information, especially if someone is looking to join the fold.

Quote Originally Posted by Heide264 View Post
    They aren't known for their mileage to be honest.

Did you test drive one? That is when most people seal the deal =).

I Support ClubWRX
    Well, keep in mind it is a slightly smaller forum than many. Not quite as many people, but good ones.

I personally don't own one =(. I drive a beat up old van. Have another semester of school to go first. Can't help ya with first hand experience.

We used to love our '96 sooby outback, haha. People here seem to really like their cars though. Subarus tend to end up like a cult car (*cough saab cough*). Once you get used to it, many people swear by them. Just my observations.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex
    He was throwing balloons filled with sulfuric acid and shrapnel at the swat team. They finally had to take him down with rubber bullets.
    2011 STi Build Log
    -Part 1 - Reading, Data Logging, and Analyzing Data
    -Part 2 - Turbocharger 101 & Basic Boost Control
    -Part 3 - EcuFlash, Experimental Defintions, and a Drive By Wire Intro

I do like 'em. My first was an 83? hatchback when I was living in upstate NY. Got me through the long winters!!!!

If practicality as a DD was a non-issue I would buy one, but I am too cheap to have 3 gas guzzler's in the stable!!!!

I like the idea of taking one to Sebring, I have about 100 laps on the Marauder there and the idea of running a WRX through there is pretty tempting!
    Last edited by merc; 06-17-2010 at 12:23 PM.

Having owned an 03 SVTF and now an 09 WRX, I can say the Focus is a MUCH better commuter than a WRX. The Focus is docile, has better handling and gets much better fuel economy. If you have the EAP on your SVT, then its that much cooler too. If your looking for speed and modability, the WRX is the better platform.
    2011 Honda CR-Z EX
    Milano Red / Navigation / 6MT

2009 WRX hatch premium SEM #52 Traded 7/28/11
    Kartboy STS & bushings // RedlineGoods Shifter & E-brake boots // Muffler delete pipe // Window tint //

Thanks, especially from someone with FSVT experience!!!!

Yeah, I had not planned on the FSVT being my commuter, but I went from 10 minutes and 7 miles one way to 50 minutes and 37 miles one way! I love the handling of the racing suspension but that and the low profile Cooper sneakers are too much road noise.
    I tend to get mod crazy and have already been looking at what to do to a rex. Lot's of great stuff out there!

Quote Originally Posted by Willard View Post
    Having owned an 03 SVTF and now an 09 WRX, I can say the Focus is a MUCH better commuter than a WRX. The Focus is docile, has better handling and gets much better fuel economy. If you have the EAP on your SVT, then its that much cooler too. If your looking for speed and modability, the WRX is the better platform.

What I like abou the wrx is the versatility. With Turbos you can get pretty good mileage out of it by just staying out of the higher rpms, but you always have that power to play with when you like.

Plus subarus can be modded to go either way. I had the AP fuel economy tune on my 08 and could get 28 mpg average easy. My normal average driving in Houston is about 24.5

Having a AWD makes a big difference for dirt, which you won't find on most mid size sedans or hatches.

This will be the first car of four I've owned in which I do not plan on trading in.

Quote Originally Posted by ScorpionWins View Post

This will be the first car of four I've owned in which I do not plan on trading in.
    LOL I've had like 17 cars and said that about 10 of them.
    2011 Honda CR-Z EX
    Milano Red / Navigation / 6MT

2009 WRX hatch premium SEM #52 Traded 7/28/11
    Kartboy STS & bushings // RedlineGoods Shifter & E-brake boots // Muffler delete pipe // Window tint //

Quote Originally Posted by merc View Post
    Hey folks!

Been a WRX admirer for years.
    makes two of us
    Went shopping and arranged a deal on a 2010 WRX wagon, blue, with STI shift knob (meh), Short shifter (Yeah!), boost guage (yeah!) for 24999. Love the color and the looks of the hatch.
    Good deal! I wanted a blue one bad.. but no promis on when one could have been available.
    I wanted a premium, but very hard to find with the 11's due in. (mainly for just the steering wheel controls and better stereo)
    meh, the premium stereo isn't any better than the standard one sound wise.. so without nav you're not missing much. factory steering wheel controls can always be added, the parts are available at the dealer and there is a lot of good info between the forums on how to do it. Its a bolt in, just a few catches to it.
    Don't laugh but I am looking for versatility for this car.
    Thats why I got the hatch.. so far I've stuffed a boat load of crap into the back of my 2010. Assembled entertainment center, 42" tv (in box), gas grill (still in box) .. here's a pic with a bunch of stuff for work in it

This will be my DD 90% of the time, 72 mile RT commute, light traffic and few lights, 45-55 speed limit.
    I am currently getting 30 mpg on the FSVT for this trip with a little spirited driving. I get 28 mpg highway on cruise at 77, drops 1 mpg at 80. The FSVT uses premium also.
    I am in South Florida, so 93 octane and good gas is readily available.
    hmm.. yeah about that .. well rolling at 80 with windows up and ac blasting, best I've gotten with the wrx on the highway was 26 n change. Mixed highway/city I get around 23 n change. As said previously, its not really a fuel mileage oriented car.. this is more and more evident when you stab the throttle at 80 and it just gets up and scoots.
    I need the hatch for versatility. When I go cave diving I load up with about 400-500 lbs of gear and it's usually a 800 mile total trip for a long weekend. It does involve some light off-road stuff.
    see pics above.. you can stuff a enormous amount of crap into this little rocket. This is why I love hatches
    you wont ever get bored with it, and for a car you spend alot of time in.. that aspect is very important. I bought mine last october and have 20k mi n change on it now. Still get a smile every time I drive it.
    ehh.. its not great, but for the performance its certainly not shabby
    has a kinda low approach angle .. but really.. how much off roading are you going to be doing? if its gravel roads or sandy stuff you'll be fine. For a sporty car it does have a decent amount of ground clearance.

you mentioned the shifter feel of the focus being tighter.. yeah the factory shifter (sts or not) is like a wet noodle. Change out the bushings and OMG what a difference. I got a very slight increase in nvh in first and second gear but other than that the benefit is well worth it. Combine the bushings with a sts and you'll have a nice super tight shift feel and much more positive gear engagement.
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    My name is Shawn, I'm a Devout Practicalist and I'm addicted to flat4's
    This page has had 1,666 visits
    SUCH IS MANGO!

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by mangostick
    you mentioned the shifter feel of the focus being tighter.. yeah the factory shifter (sts or not) is like a wet noodle. Change out the bushings and OMG what a difference. I got a very slight increase in nvh in first and second gear but other than that the benefit is well worth it. Combine the bushings with a sts and you'll have a nice super tight shift feel and much more positive gear engagement.
    Ding ding!

The factory short-throw is really a garbage option IMHO, due to cost and the fact that it still has a lackluster feel to it. For what you spend for it, you could purchase a Kartboy lever (the most popular/common one, which also offers a reduced throw length to OEM STS), and all associated bushings (front/rear shifter stay, pivot, and shift linkage bushings) and still have money left over. Everyone who has run through the gears on my car has had the desire to purchase the remaining bushings they didn't have.

If you have a desire for the OEM STS, purchase it after you've taken delivery; if not, you're financing that part, and will spend a lot more money in the long-term.
    Last edited by EJ257; 06-17-2010 at 03:54 PM.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

First of all. I have also owned a SVT Focus 2002. Here's a pic for reference. I loved this car.

Anyway, if you plan on modifying your WRX you will most likely get an AccessPort, which you can program an economy mode which gets about 29, 30 MPG. I've done it along with a lot of other people. You can do on-the-fly map changes to your WRX.

On the handling note. You can make the WRX run circles around the SVT. Yes the WRX is heavier and you can feel it, but once you start getting used to All-wheeel drive you will never look back. After the SVT I owned a '05 STi and now an '08 WRX. I will never go back to a FWD car again. I know it's hard to let go of the SVT, but you won't regret it. Trust me.

EDIT: BTW, are you saying the stock '09 WRX is slower than a stock Mercury Marauder? If so, you need to lay off the drugs. lol
    Last edited by kpSTi; 06-17-2010 at 04:03 PM.
    '08 WRX SSM
    Mods:
    Engine- COBB AP, stage 2 Perrin map and intake, SPT CB exhaust and Invidia catted DP.
    Suspension- SSR Type-F 18x8 +45 offset, Rallitek F/R swaybars and HD endlinks, H&R springs, camber bolts and Cusco front strut tower bar.
    Exterior/Interior- '09 WRX grill, Factory Front lip, Fog lights, STi 5 speed shift knob, Armrest extension, painted rear chrome strip and debadged trunk.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast