New to Club WRX. Fayetteville, NC
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on New to Club WRX. Fayetteville, NC within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hi guys, On my second subie, first one was an '87 Brighton. Best 0 ever LOL. Anyway, I'm also on ...

New to Club WRX. Fayetteville, NC

Hi guys,
    On my second subie, first one was an '87 Brighton. Best $500 ever LOL. Anyway, I'm also on IWSTI, NABISCO, RKC, RS25, etc with the same username. I may repost my journal from IWSTI on here if you guys are into that. Here's a pic:

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Admin - Scooby Hooligan

I Support ClubWRX
    welcome nice looking hatch
    ScoobyDMC #000,HawkEyeAlliance#000,Blobeye Syndicate #000, SQC-NY #009, "Dragon Slayer"
    "All We'll Drive"

I <3 boobies: rallyarmor/keepabreast/mud flaps limited edition

Thanks! I'm loving it.

Awesome!

For those curious, here's where I'm heading with mods

http://www.iwsti.com/forums/gr-membe...purchased.html

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by weasel 555 View Post
    welcome Nice looking hatch
    +1
    -The J
    New Members, CLICK & BOOKMARK these links:

"Driving most supercars is like trying to manhandle a cow up a back staircase. . . This is like smearing honey into Keira Knightly" -JC

I Support ClubWRX
    Read through your build log. I really like your plans. To me, seems similar to what I'd want to do with mine.

I'm very interested in your carputer experience. You said you don't plan on installing gauges in it with OBDII support... I was under the impression that OBDII only offers limited readouts. What would be awesome is if the carputer had extra I/Os similar to a controller for different gauge sensors such as WO2 and actual measurements instead of OBD calculations. I'd imagine with a lot of gauges going electronic instead of analog, this wouldn't be an impossible task.

Might have just found a good senior project for myself
    Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex
    He was throwing balloons filled with sulfuric acid and shrapnel at the swat team. They finally had to take him down with rubber bullets.
    2011 STi Build Log
    -Part 1 - Reading, Data Logging, and Analyzing Data
    -Part 2 - Turbocharger 101 & Basic Boost Control
    -Part 3 - EcuFlash, Experimental Defintions, and a Drive By Wire Intro

Quote Originally Posted by Heide264 View Post
    Read through your build log. I really like your plans. To me, seems similar to what I'd want to do with mine.

I'm very interested in your carputer experience. You said you don't plan on installing gauges in it with OBDII support... I was under the impression that OBDII only offers limited readouts. What would be awesome is if the carputer had extra I/Os similar to a controller for different gauge sensors such as WO2 and actual measurements instead of OBD calculations. I'd imagine with a lot of gauges going electronic instead of analog, this wouldn't be an impossible task.

Might have just found a good senior project for myself
    Zero carputer experience, but quite a bit of computer experience, 6 years in IT support, 2 years in building platforms, and a year and a half managing a network team (all overlapping of course). I thought about installing a computer in the car before I realized that it had been done and there is a huge community of people who have done it. Been doing a TON of research, and I'm thinking about outsourcing the build to a shop in Charleston, SC as the guy at the shop has done quite a few builds. Not sure if I'm going to do that because I have a friend that has built about 20 home computers, 3-4 home servers and is thrilled about the idea. Labor is never cheap and I'm looking to upgrade some raw performance parts.

As you said, with most gauges taking an electronic signal, the computer can pick them up. I've already found a nice gyro card with 3d motion sensing, and the OS I'll be using already has quite a bit of gauge support. It also helps that it has all the GPS maps integrated into it and that it has customizable apps and opensource code. It's called Centrafuze. Great part about it is not having to boot a huge OS to get radio, nav or gauge functions. Splash screens, etc are also fully customizable. Back to your comment about OBDII, I know the Cobb AP gets all its data from the OBDII port so any data that it can log I should be able to. The great part about combining a data logging system with a nav will be logging your lap time and seeing performance at each section. It'll be nice to analyze my driving and performance from a graphical interface and not just thebuff dyno. The OS already has a App that works with preprogrammed track data and will log lap times. Having played with some racing simulators with the performance data displayed IE forza 2, it'll be nice to go back after a day at the track and do a self eval. I think it's the reason why there are the full plug in data systems for race cars.

I'm far from figuring this carputer situation out completely, but it seems like there is no finished product that caters toward the performance enthusiast desiring a clean OEM like interior at a reasonable price. I got sick of having a GPS on the dashboard, plugging my iphone into the jack and forgetting it as I locked the car, and I didnt want to mount gauges anywhere. I should be able to have an entirely touchscreen driven interface that looks nearly like the stock NAV. Right now the major parts alone for the build look to cost around $1500. At only $500 more than a quality DVD nav unit, I really feel it'll be worth the effort. I may be trimming down some processing power because it wont be worth it. Also, I want the entire unit to only occupy the doubledin, which will be too easy with the size of current components.

*** I just realized what you were saying. Yes, I will be hooking up to OBDII with the computer. All I need is a dongle to connect the motherboard to the OBDII. Two ways to get it done, 1. OBDII->serial port 2. Get a serial-> USB adapter if you dont have serial port.
    Last edited by fujiwara; 06-16-2010 at 02:38 PM. Reason: Clarity

I Support ClubWRX
    Sounds good. I agree, when I looked into it, there did not seem a clean performance driven aspect of it.

Few other ideas to consider. Don't know if your iphone is jailbroken. I rooted my droid so it has wireless tethering. I have an app set so as soon as my droid hits the car cradle it turns on bluetooth/gps and wifi off (normally have them flipped for battery reasons). I could easily enable wifi tethering, allowing the carputer to have 3g internet. Something to consider at least. That is one thing I'd like to achieve with a 'carputer', seemless useful phone integration.

I was more concerned with a wide band o2 gauge and an actual boost gauge. The ones you'd monitor through OBDII would if I am correct be what the ECU is thinking it is. I'm not positive on this. I am sure people around here will be able to help you out. Given that most have electronic versions, however, it would not be difficult to write software that displays it based off the signal from the sensor. Might take some strange interfacing and creativity though.

I like the accelerometer concept. It seems just plain cool in the worst case scenario.

...Mostly just throwing some ideas out there. Keep us up to date, looks like a nice build. Take some pictures along the process if you don't mind, I'll probably doing a lot of similar stuff six months down the road.
    He was throwing balloons filled with sulfuric acid and shrapnel at the swat team. They finally had to take him down with rubber bullets.
    2011 STi Build Log

Sounds good. I agree, when I looked into it, there did not seem a clean performance driven aspect of it.

Few other ideas to consider. Don't know if your iphone is jailbroken. I rooted my droid so it has wireless tethering. I have an app set so as soon as my droid hits the car cradle it turns on bluetooth/gps and wifi off (normally have them flipped for battery reasons). I could easily enable wifi tethering, allowing the carputer to have 3g internet. Something to consider at least. That is one thing I'd like to achieve with a 'carputer', seemless useful phone integration.

I was more concerned with a wide band o2 gauge and an actual boost gauge. The ones you'd monitor through OBDII would if I am correct be what the ECU is thinking it is. I'm not positive on this. I am sure people around here will be able to help you out. Given that most have electronic versions, however, it would not be difficult to write software that displays it based off the signal from the sensor. Might take some strange interfacing and creativity though.

I like the accelerometer concept. It seems just plain cool in the worst case scenario.

...Mostly just throwing some ideas out there. Keep us up to date, looks like a nice build. Take some pictures along the process if you don't mind, I'll probably doing a lot of similar stuff six months down the road.
    Yeah, there's going to have to be some serious creativity, so I've started just listing the basics on parts so I can move forward to more creative solutions. As long as the part meets my computing and power requirements and isnt priced outside of standard deviation of prices, I'm just trying to lump my orders in with large vendors. I have a feeling it is going to get expensive once I get the base system in place and start tweaking it. I've added a parts listing to the computer stuff on post #2 of my journal. I'll be taking tons of pictures, and I'll make sure to keep you guys here on clubwrx.net updated with the installs as they happen.

On another note, there are so many little things to do to the car that I'm learning about... pitch stop mounts, angel eyes, etc that I hadnt thought about or seen in more than 4 months of research. It seems like no one can ever know all the small options for these cars. sure, a full set of bluebatmobile overlays is only $81 shipped, but start adding on all the other little parts and this stuff gets expensive even for small mods quickly.

Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Welcome to the club!

There is a LOT of good data to get off the OBD (knock, IAM, boost, etc.). A/F you would need an aftermarket wideband - my LC-1 has a serial output so it can be logged easily (with a laptop at least). The openport/tactrix style cables are OBD -> USB. There is more to the interface than just a wire as it has a processor and is recognized as a device by a PC before the ECU is even turned on.

http://www.tactrix.com/
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by mycologist View Post
    Welcome to the club!

There is a LOT of good data to get off the OBD (knock, IAM, boost, etc.). A/F you would need an aftermarket wideband - my LC-1 has a serial output so it can be logged easily (with a laptop at least). The openport/tactrix style cables are OBD -> USB. There is more to the interface than just a wire as it has a processor and is recognized as a device by a PC before the ECU is even turned on.

http://www.tactrix.com/
    I meant wires outside of the tactrix ones. For most general purposes, would you need any outside of WB02, A/F and maybe an actual boost gauge? I'm not sure on what measurements are actual and which are calculated with tactrix and romraider stuff. Does romraider log the A/F gauge well? If most gauges are coming with inteface stuff now, that makes life very easy and it becomes a software issue if any.
    2011 STi Build Log

I Support ClubWRX
    I meant wires outside of the tactrix ones. For most general purposes, would you need any outside of WB02, A/F and maybe an actual boost gauge? I'm not sure on what measurements are actual and which are calculated with tactrix and romraider stuff. Does romraider log the A/F gauge well? If most gauges are coming with inteface stuff now, that makes life very easy and it becomes a software issue if any.
    Yeah, the problem isn't with accuracy in the logger or the quality of what the ECU reports. The only caveat is if you are logging a bunch of stuff the lag between data points can be an issue (especially with 16 bit ECUs). The old style OEM O2 sensor was worthless at WOT and the new one isn't worthwhile either I don't think. There also isn't any good EGT sensor. For boost most people consider what the ECU reports to be the best source.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by mycologist View Post
    Yeah, the problem isn't with accuracy in the logger or the quality of what the ECU reports. The only caveat is if you are logging a bunch of stuff the lag between data points can be an issue (especially with 16 bit ECUs). The old style OEM O2 sensor was worthless at WOT and the new one isn't worthwhile either I don't think. There also isn't any good EGT sensor. For boost most people consider what the ECU reports to be the best source.
    Roger. So it seems if you can log data from external sensors accurately, do it. And then log the important stuff from the ECU to keep the resolution high.

[/hijack]

Sorry fuji
    2011 STi Build Log

I Support ClubWRX
    Roger. So it seems if you can log data from external sensors accurately, do it. And then log the important stuff from the ECU to keep the resolution high.

[/hijack]

Sorry fuji
    I don't think we are hijacking since it is all pertinent to the OP's setup plans.

The problem with external sensors and logging is that you really want them to be synchronized with the rest of what you are looking at for tuning purposes. Romraider logger will integrate a couple of types of widebands as external sensors but that is all.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.