Just a few general questions
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on Just a few general questions within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Ok I know some people are going to read this and say " why don't you search the internet *******" ...

Registered User Tattooed11Bravo's Avatar

Just a few general questions

Ok I know some people are going to read this and say " why don't you search the internet *******" or "read the threads" YEAH ROGER. I got that. But as I posted in my welcome post I am fairly new to the WRX scene. I'm not an idiot by any means. There is a **** ton of links posts and web pages to search. Which trust me I have done. But I wanted to get the opinion of fellow WRX/STI enthusists. So here I go.

What are the best in your opinion. In price, performance, power.

1) Exhaust
    2) Short shifters
    3) Intake
    4) Blow off valves
    5) Chips
    6) Front or top mount

So thanks again for your input and suggestions.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Your best performance per dollar mod is always going to be a down pipe and open scource tune via laptop and tactrix cable... the cable is around 150ish and you can get free maps and software from places like romraider, and you can get down pipes from 100-700 just look around in the for sale areas...

Numbers 3,4, and 5 are a waste of time on these cars so just do the stage 2 upgrade then work on suspention ie sway bars and end links...

I hope this helps...
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #801
    The Impreza "this was repaired/replaced at what mileage" database (Please Contribute)
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/showth...57#post2688257

Thanks for the tips. I'll keep all that in mind when I get the car.

Quote Originally Posted by Tattooed11Bravo View Post
    Ok I know some people are going to read this and say " why don't you search the internet *******" or "read the threads" YEAH ROGER. I got that. But as I posted in my welcome post I am fairly new to the WRX scene. I'm not an idiot by any means. There is a **** ton of links posts and web pages to search. Which trust me I have done. But I wanted to get the opinion of fellow WRX/STI enthusists. So here I go.

1) Exhaust
    2) Short shifters
    3) Intake
    4) Blow off valves
    5) Chips
    6) Front or top mount

So thanks again for your input and suggestions.
    +1 on 06scoobyrex

so im also pretty new to the subie scene but heres my thoughts

exhaust..hks sounds really nice, id say catless is the way to go, but its pretty loud , short shifters are nice kartboy seems to be popular, bov pretty much useless, intake id say is good with a nice setup and tune (im vf39+supporting mods and tune) the intake makes a similar bov noise, chips uhhh what 06scoobyrex said or accessport, and the intercooler can depend on ur turbo

Yeah no problem... I have an 06 and I figure that after I go stage 2 ill have around 50 more WHP then stock form... so the down pipe investment is well worth it...IMO
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #801
    The Impreza "this was repaired/replaced at what mileage" database (Please Contribute)

Yeah I have been told the BOV's are pointless. But I have to say I love the sound. HAHAHAH We build a 89 5.0 stage 3 that ran low 9's and the BOV on that things would scare the S*** out of people. I have always liked the sound.

Banned
    I Support ClubWRX
    Yeah I have been told the BOV's are pointless. But I have to say I love the sound. HAHAHAH We build a 89 5.0 stage 3 that ran low 9's and the BOV on that things would scare the S*** out of people. I have always liked the sound.
    Keep in mind that most real (meaning drawing from the non-ricer population) tend to frown upon loud BoVs. Your stock one works better than most aftermarket valves and is maintenance free. There is no reason not to keep it unless you're running high boost levels.

Yeah you do make a good point. I'm learning more and more that a lot of things that come stock on the WRX don't have to be changed unless your running big HP. Which is nice cause I'm def not made out of money.

That's cool... BOV sound nice, but at the same time are kinda obnoxious and draw more attention then id like to my car...
    My neighbor has a 97 supra and its all modded out, everytime he drives by it shakes my windows then I hear a loud ass pssssshhhhh... its awesome, I can't help but wonder what his numbers are...
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #801

Quote Originally Posted by 06scoobyrex View Post
    Your best performance per dollar mod is always going to be a down pipe and open scource tune via laptop and tactrix cable... the cable is around 150ish and you can get free maps and software from places like romraider, and you can get down pipes from 100-700 just look around in the for sale areas...

Numbers 3,4, and 5 are a waste of time on these cars so just do the stage 2 upgrade then work on suspention ie sway bars and end links...

I hope this helps...
    Couldn't have said it better myself. The best intake, up to and maybeslightly exceeding 300whp, is stock. Same applies for the stock BPV. If you want to hear the intake and BPV, remove the intake silencer and put in an elbow.
    Bugeye Mafia #130

'03 SRP WRX sedan. Engine mods - SPT intake, Perrin sport tone catback, stage 1 tune. Suspension mods - lots, excluding only the springs, struts, and tophats. Plans - dont screw this one up.

I Support ClubWRX

1) Exhaust
    2) Short shifters
    3) Intake
    4) Blow off valves
    5) Chips
    6) Front or top mount
    Depends on what you want...
    - Exhaust and an accompanying tune will give you the most power. Need a tune to get power out of it as with most power upgrades on these cars

- Short shifters are pretty much standard it seems. Just one of those upgrades that makes life easier. Get it when you find a deal.

- Intake isn't needed for a very long time. You'd probably need to tune if you got one, depending on black magic effects. The stock one is more than sufficient until I think 350hp just to put it in perspective.

- Blow off valve... Look into the silencer delete mod. If you search around you can find info on it. Not quite a blow off valve, but will give ya a sound at least a lot of people like. It is free too. Else wise, the stock wastegate is pretty good for a while. If you put a lot of money into the car, you'll probably want to look into an external wastegate (EWG), but that is a ways off.

- Chips... I'm assuming you mean engine management? Necessary with these cars. Pick your poison. Couple different methods I posted in your other thread with a bit of an intro to each.

- Front mount (FMIC) / Top mount (TMIC)... Upgrade them as needed. I think picking up the STi TMIC is a pretty common upgrade. Keep in mind the larger the intercooler, the longer the turbo will take to spool up - this is mainly a concern with FMIC I think. Supporting mod.

Really due to all the supporting mods required to upgrade power past 'stage 2' in these cars, a lot of people after an exhaust and a tune go to suspension. Great tires, sway bars, end links, bushings, brakes, etc...

Nobody here will chew ya out too much about posts like this. Just watch out if you do on NASIOC.. They will cut you alive, haha. It helps to read around, but sometimes a general intro helps a lot. Post it, say no flames, and people that have time will post if they want. Otherwise people will just tell you to read around, not a big ordeal.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex
    He was throwing balloons filled with sulfuric acid and shrapnel at the swat team. They finally had to take him down with rubber bullets.
    2011 STi Build Log
    -Part 1 - Reading, Data Logging, and Analyzing Data
    -Part 2 - Turbocharger 101 & Basic Boost Control
    -Part 3 - EcuFlash, Experimental Defintions, and a Drive By Wire Intro

Quote Originally Posted by RossLH View Post
    Couldn't have said it better myself. The best intake, up to and maybeslightly exceeding 300whp, is stock. Same applies for the stock BPV. If you want to hear the intake and BPV, remove the intake silencer and put in an elbow.
    +1, replacing the intake doesn't make any more of a difference than removing the silencer, really. Pulling that big lump of plastic out of your fender will actually get you a nice intake sound, plus you'll be able to hear the turbo and BPV working, too. $5 mod > $150 mod, and no risk of popping your engine.
    2002 Silver Bugeye WRX - Bugeye Mafia #327
    "Stage 2" + STI TMIC

I am new to this with cars... done motorcycle but now wanna focus on my car..
    Kind of a noob question.. but what exactly is "stage 2" and "stage 3"?
    '88 Sub Justy *Rock in oil pan killed on freeway
    '87 Honda Civic *Bad pistons (to lazy to fix)
    '85 Nissan 200sx *Blown engine drifting
    '00 Sub Outback *Mother literally stole
    '92 Toyota Tercel *Hated it
    '02 WRX '07 kawasaki ninja. * current

I Support ClubWRX
    Just read around a bit. They aren't clear definitions. They mostly refer to standard "off the shelf" maps/tunes for access ports. They are kind of a grey area.

Stage 1 - stock/tuned
    Stage 2 - turbo back exhaust/tuned
    Stage 3 - turbo swap and supporting mods?/tuned

Not positive on stage 3... The definitions really aren't set in stone, just a loose sort of thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex
    He was throwing balloons filled with sulfuric acid and shrapnel at the swat team. They finally had to take him down with rubber bullets.
    2011 STi Build Log
    -Part 1 - Reading, Data Logging, and Analyzing Data
    -Part 2 - Turbocharger 101 & Basic Boost Control
    -Part 3 - EcuFlash, Experimental Defintions, and a Drive By Wire Intro

Banned
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Heide264 View Post
    Just read around a bit. They aren't clear definitions. They mostly refer to standard "off the shelf" maps/tunes for access ports. They are kind of a grey area.

Stage 1 - stock/tuned
    Stage 2 - turbo back exhaust/tuned
    Stage 3 - turbo swap and supporting mods?/tuned

Not positive on stage 3... The definitions really aren't set in stone, just a loose sort of thing.

Nope, the mostly refer to TXS maps, because they were the 1st to successfully market stages for WRXs.

S1 - EM
    S2 - EM + TBE
    S3 - EM + TBE + TMIC
    S4 - EM + TBE + TMIC + small turbo upgrade and supporting mods.

Cobb's stages have changed 3 times to my knowledge, but up to stage 2 they and TXS are the same. Anything above that, and it might be a better idea to just say what you have in the car vs what some company will say is a stage.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast