Just a few general questions - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on Just a few general questions within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by brfatal Nope, the mostly refer to TXS maps, because they were the 1st to successfully market stages ...

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by brfatal View Post
    Nope, the mostly refer to TXS maps, because they were the 1st to successfully market stages for WRXs.
    Thanks brfatal. I figured somebody who knew in more detail would pitch in.

Regardless, I would just use the stage 1/2/3 as a loose term unless you refer to a specific manufacturer. It's just a ballpark sort of thing anymore.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex
    He was throwing balloons filled with sulfuric acid and shrapnel at the swat team. They finally had to take him down with rubber bullets.
    2011 STi Build Log
    -Part 1 - Reading, Data Logging, and Analyzing Data
    -Part 2 - Turbocharger 101 & Basic Boost Control
    -Part 3 - EcuFlash, Experimental Defintions, and a Drive By Wire Intro

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Banned
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Tattooed11Bravo View Post
    I'm not an idiot by any means.
    You're in the Army...and you're an 11B. So by generalization I'm going to assume this statement is false.

However, you guys are leaving out sway bars and end links. Those are some of the best bang for your buck performance mod out there.

Registered User Tattooed11Bravo's Avatar

Thumbs up

Just wanted to say thanks to all the posts that gave me good information and not some smart ass bull**** remark from a ****ing POG<----- The comments have been taken into thought and I have started the upgrades. I'll keep y'all updated on the progress. Thanks again.

Banned
    I Support ClubWRX
    Eloquent.

Your vacabulary needs a little work. When you can't use anything but curses to convey your message it gives off the impression that you aren't too smart. But then again, it's probably a reason you're in the Army and not another service

I think that by suggesting one of the best handling modifications for your buck would be very helful.

On top of that some of the things you mentioned you want to do are pretty pointless to put on a stock WRX. The stock airbox on the WRX/STI isn't that restrictive. Basically, unless you building an engine with forged internals and doing a HUGE turbo upgrade you don't really need one. A BOV isn't necessary at all. A front mount isn't going to give you any significant gain until you get into the bigger turbo realm. You would still see a few HP out of your stock turbo, but FMICs are expensive and to pay 800+ for 2 or 3hp really isn't worth it IMO. Just whatever upgrades you do put on, like exhaust, you will need engine management. It's been mentioned before but there are several OTS maps for specific upgrades from a few different companies out there. Personally, I'd find someone in your area who is good with RomRaider and get an open source tune. It's cheaper and more customized to your vehicle. If you don't get a tune with your upgrades then you're wrong.

If I had a stock car to work with this is what I would do:

STi TMIC
    Silence delete mod
    Turbo Back Exhaust plus tune.

After that I would start on suspension/handling/feel of car upgrades:

1. Wheels and Tires
    2. Springs (mainly to get rid of wheel gap)
    3. Struts (depending on mileage on stock ones)
    4. Sway Bars( I only did rear and I love it but some prefer to do both)
    5. Bushing upgrades

That's just me! Not necessarily in that order either...except for the Power add ons that I started with.

WHen I first got my car I just started buying stuff. I bought turbo back exhaust, intake and blow off valve and I wondered why my CEL came on. My search brought me to this site where I learned a lot. Got rid of blow off valve, got a tune and kept reading and learning! If you have time to read some stuff those two links in my signature will turn you into a subie expert....maybe!
    <-------- Taylor Swift.
    2006 WRX 330whp. 300wtq. Slow.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #137
    First Mods...what to do.
    Subaru Guide

Wait a minute. Aren't you in the army bro???

And if u would of read my post. It's not things that I'm doing to the car it was more of a general question to get peoples oppinion. Maybe you should go back and read my first post. But thanks for the short amount of good iformation u did give. I'll take whatever tips I can get. Thanks.

Thanks for the info. That's about what I'm doing. I'm working with a buddy of mine now who use to build wrx's and he's kind of walking me through stuff. But once again thanks for the tips I'll take whatever I can get.

Banned
    I Support ClubWRX
    Wait a minute. Aren't you in the army bro???

And if u would of read my post. It's not things that I'm doing to the car it was more of a general question to get peoples oppinion. Maybe you should go back and read my first post. But thanks for the short amount of good iformation u did give. I'll take whatever tips I can get. Thanks.
    No I'm not.

And I gave you general information. What you need to do is ask yourself what you're looking for in your WRX. Do you want it to be a street monster or just a daily driver with a bit of extra punch? Or you could put it somewhere in the middle.

I read your original post, the problem is you're asking about several different parts but you didn't post what you're driving, or going to be driving, or what your power goals are. This makes it difficult to give you a realistic opinion about what is going to be the best set up for your dollar and still get you the numbers you're looking for.

What are the best in your opinion. In price, performance, power.

1) Exhaust I have TXS TBE, I bought it brand new so it was expensive but I love the sound and once I got tuned power gain was great. My stage 2 tune was 228whp and 285 wtq

2) Short shifters I have the kartboy SS package, it's excellent!

3) Intake I have the TXS SRI and it was on when I got my stage 2 tune as well.

4) Blow off valves I started with TXS Hybrid but hated it so I went to Perrin Recirc valve and I love it. Haven't had it tested for boost leak though...

5) Chips I am a big fan of any kind of Terra Chips, they are really good!

6) Front or top mount I have a used STi TMIC and it seems to be doing well for me!

I do have my car tuned as well. I have a cobb ap and it was custom tuned for my current setup. I like it! You can also just get a protune, don't really need a cobb ap.

So thanks again for your input and suggestions.
    <-------- Taylor Swift.
    2006 WRX 330whp. 300wtq. Slow.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #137
    First Mods...what to do.
    Subaru Guide

Drews : My bad I thought I had read a post of your where you were talking about being in Afgahn. It must of been someone else. As far as your smart ass remarks, let's go without. I don't make fun of your mom. So whatever stereo types you have about Infantry keep them to yourself. Yeah there are some retarded ones out there but that's no different than in the real world. Or the Navy, Air force, Marines, Coast guard, Weekend warriors. Maybe we aren't the smartest because we choose to go face to face with the enemy. But some people get their thrills from different things. So if you keep your comments to yourself we won't have any problems. I won't be a smart ass when you make post. But if you can't then I ask nicely for you to stay off my posts and keep to your self.

But in regards to you wanting to know what I drive. If you would of read though my original post you would find pics of an 03 G35. That is what I am currently driving. I am in the process of buying a 05 WRX. That's why I'm trying to get info on what is good to do to the cars. I pulled those questions from seeing what some of the people I know have done to there cars. I'm more of a hot rod,rat rod kind of guys but I've always loved the WRX's and such. I'm not looking to have a full blow drag car but something that's put a smile on my face when I wanna go fast.
    But once again. Thanks for you thoughts.

Banned
    I Support ClubWRX
    I am in Afghan. And stereo types do exist for a reason. I'd say its quite the opposite of how you've put it. There are a FEW smart ones. The majority of them are just plain stupid. I've worked with a few different Army units and their grunts are less than intelligent. They are also usually the people that screw up the MWR facilities for the rest of the people on the camp. I have a great respect for the people who willingly put themselves on the front line. It's not something I'd do but most of the people who are grunts are grunts because they don't posses the ability or intellect to do anything else. This also goes along with the fact that the Army will take just about anyone into their ranks. No GED, no high school diploma? COME ON DOWN! They think it's funny to clog the urinals with paper towels and throw their trash on the ground among other things that are just a blatant disregard for everyone else and making the camp that I've been forced to call home worse than it needs to be. I'm not saying that every grunt is an idiot, but it sure seems to be the norm.

For example...the infantry guys that I used to fill radios for would come in EVERY DAY because they had zeroized their radios. Even AFTER I gave them a 6 hour class on how to use their equipment properly. Not to mention the COUNTLESS broken pieces of equipment from them just being utterly retarded. They eventually stopped getting issued equipment. In my experience they are incosiderate, ignorant, and have a blatant disregard for anyone but themselves.

Your original post said NOTHING about what you drive. I'm kind of confused at what you're getting at with this post. I'm going to assume you want to get big power out of the WRX you're looking at yeah? If you're getting a WRX as opposed to an STI you're going to need to look into a lot more than just the upgrades you're looking at. The 5 speed that comes in the WRX is more or less a glass box. The 02-03s are the worst but they aren't really designed for big power. If I were you I'd be looking for an STI for a platform to start with unless you want to either do the STI transmission swap or do a PPG upgrade. If you're going to baby the 5 speed you can get away with it as long as you're gentle, but by your previous post I'm going to assume that you would like to toss the car around a little bit. Like I said, if you put out a goal for the power level you want to reach it would help us give you an opinion on what you would benefit the most from. There are a lot of things you left off your list that would give you pretty significant gains or just make your power band more solid.

WOW Sorry to hear that those guys are such dirt bags. I personally have never worked with guys like that. When I first got in I went to scouts and then Ranger and sniper school. After that I went to a Ranger BAT. So yes the guys I have worked with are all smart and professional about how they conduct themselves. But I will say I have seen other people through all 5 of my deployments act like that. And there is nothing more I would like to do than to kick there ass.

But back to the car. I would like to get about 350 HP out of the car. But I just wanna take baby step right now. Get my hands dirty and learn more about the car while installing a few simple things. But within the next 6 months I would like to have everything done tuned and good to go.

I just have 1 question for the members in the service overseas, I'm assuming that some of you guys have your vechiles with you there. So how does it work when you get ready to go home? Do they ship your car back to you?
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #801
    The Impreza "this was repaired/replaced at what mileage" database (Please Contribute)
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/showth...57#post2688257

Are you talking about having personal cars while deployed to Afgahn or iraq???? I know on my end I have never heard of anyone bringing a personal car to a deployment. Now if your talking overseas like Hawaii or Korea or something like that then it's a different story.

Are you talking about having personal cars while deployed to Afgahn or iraq???? I know on my end I have never heard of anyone bringing a personal car to a deployment. Now if your talking overseas like Hawaii or Korea or something like that then it's a different story.
    Ohh I saw a picture of you G somewhere and I remember you were in afganistan so I thought it was with you... my bad... that makes sense cause if it were me I wouldn't even bother with buying a car till I got back unless you allready had 1 at home cause your not gonna be able to drive it for months or even over a year... plus being in the service you have little to no free time to enjoy and drive your personal car... my cousin is in the marines and he has only been home for maybee a couple of months in the last 4 years so its pretty much pointless to even own 1 IMO...
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #801
    The Impreza "this was repaired/replaced at what mileage" database (Please Contribute)
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/showth...57#post2688257

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.