Insurance Help?! - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on Insurance Help?! within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; If you are a waiter at a decent place you could pull 15k/yr if you are good in high school ...

I Support ClubWRX
    If you are a waiter at a decent place you could pull 15k/yr if you are good in high school working a lot. I was a life guard whenever I wasn't in school or swimming and got $8/hr and it worked out to about 8k/yr. Waiters make a lot more than that around me normally, its a pretty stressful job comparatively though. On the other hand there is no way I could have saved 2/3 of that - my parents just kept forking over more crap for me to pay. Sucked at the time, but oh well.

Everyones' situation is different, if he has the money to spend, I'm jealous.

On the insurance note, my family always arranged it so our newest driver was on the cheapest car to insure. Maybe talk to him and see if he would be willing to switch primary cars with you insurance wise, and you could pay the more expensive of the two. Never know.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex
    He was throwing balloons filled with sulfuric acid and shrapnel at the swat team. They finally had to take him down with rubber bullets.
    2011 STi Build Log
    -Part 1 - Reading, Data Logging, and Analyzing Data
    -Part 2 - Turbocharger 101 & Basic Boost Control
    -Part 3 - EcuFlash, Experimental Defintions, and a Drive By Wire Intro

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

OP: Nobody here can give you any meaningful advice when it comes to insurance as there are so many different variables when it comes to premium pricing, e.g. state laws, your demographics, insurance company, etc. It's even more complex when there are often multiple divisions of a company or even separate companies operating under the same name with completely different risk pricing strategies. The best thing to do is a lot of shopping around...or drive a beater car for a few years. I vote for the latter as you'll have way more fun with the extra cash at your age than a silly WRX.

Quote Originally Posted by Heide264 View Post
    If you are a waiter at a decent place you could pull 15k/yr if you are good in high school working a lot. I was a life guard whenever I wasn't in school or swimming and got $8/hr and it worked out to about 8k/yr. Waiters make a lot more than that around me normally, its a pretty stressful job comparatively though. On the other hand there is no way I could have saved 2/3 of that - my parents just kept forking over more crap for me to pay. Sucked at the time, but oh well.

Everyones' situation is different, if he has the money to spend, I'm jealous.

On the insurance note, my family always arranged it so our newest driver was on the cheapest car to insure. Maybe talk to him and see if he would be willing to switch primary cars with you insurance wise, and you could pay the more expensive of the two. Never know.
    This may be the way many people do it but it is wrong and borderline unethical. The person who drives the car most should be listed as the primary driver to ensure you maintain proper coverage. I actually know about this firsthand as my parents did the same for me when I was in hs. Saved money until I got in an accident at 3am in a car that my dad was listed as the primary driver. Insurance company argued that only a primary driver would drive a vehicle at that hour and attempted to deny the claim. They paid in the end but tripled my insurance premiums. I deserved that, I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by poly_poly-man View Post
    He could be a freelance programmer like I am...

...or he could be dealing drugs on the side

Funny story: the other day a kid asked me to buy him cigarettes - even though I'm two years from being old enough (I look older, and I drove there)... next time I'll take his money and leave..

just keep trolling for that
    Haha no, i just work about 40 hours a week and put it all away because i want this car so badly!

Got a little bit of good news, insurnace is not actually 481, its more like 330, which means i would be paying 230 and my parents paying 100.

I was putting together a rough estimate of what it would cost a year to drive this car, what should i plan on for maintenance, like what services and how much?

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by economatic View Post
    This may be the way many people do it but it is wrong and borderline unethical. The person who drives the car most should be listed as the primary driver to ensure you maintain proper coverage. I actually know about this firsthand as my parents did the same for me when I was in hs. Saved money until I got in an accident at 3am in a car that my dad was listed as the primary driver. Insurance company argued that only a primary driver would drive a vehicle at that hour and attempted to deny the claim. They paid in the end but tripled my insurance premiums. I deserved that, I guess.
    Good point. We actually worked out the details with our insurance company first hand and agreed on it. I believe the main reason behind it was that for the 3 years I was in high school I was always in by midnight, if not earlier. Also, my dad would travel with the car on business trips (it was a caddy) instead of his. So I guess it is very situational. Should have added to my comment.

EDIT: Econo, are you the member that actually works for an insurance company? I can't remember.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex
    He was throwing balloons filled with sulfuric acid and shrapnel at the swat team. They finally had to take him down with rubber bullets.
    2011 STi Build Log
    -Part 1 - Reading, Data Logging, and Analyzing Data
    -Part 2 - Turbocharger 101 & Basic Boost Control
    -Part 3 - EcuFlash, Experimental Defintions, and a Drive By Wire Intro

Quote Originally Posted by Heide264 View Post
    Good point. We actually worked out the details with our insurance company first hand and agreed on it. I believe the main reason behind it was that for the 3 years I was in high school I was always in by midnight, if not earlier. Also, my dad would travel with the car on business trips (it was a caddy) instead of his. So I guess it is very situational. Should have added to my comment.

EDIT: Econo, are you the member that actually works for an insurance company? I can't remember.
    Negative. I'm just the friendly neighborhood economist/statistician who studied actuarial science so I know a bit about how insurance companies set premiums.

Good clarification about working with the insurance directly to assess the appropriate coverage. Documenting exactly how the car is used is key, rather than just stating mileage. Insurance companies are in the business of pricing risk, which includes all driving activities.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12