new to manual transmission!!!!!!!! RELP

This is a discussion on new to manual transmission!!!!!!!! RELP within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; not quite new to this forum, been on here for a little while because I was in the market for ...

new to manual transmission!!!!!!!! RELP

not quite new to this forum, been on here for a little while because I was in the market for a bugeye. decided at 19 and still in school that the insurance and premium gas would end me so I went with an 05 honda accord v6 coupe with a 6mt. I love the bugeyes but its still a pretty nice car!

Im not driving a subie but alot of the people on this board have been very helpful to me and extremely knowledgeable and I could use some help. here's my only problem; Ive only driven manual twice before getting the car today. my sister picked it up at the dealership for me and dropped it off while I was at work. when I got home I said "F it" and took it out for a spin. no highways or going above 40mph just trying to get it down.

obviously I stalled about a thousand times. on the roads I didnt do too bad to my surprise but I eventually took it in a parking lot to get down getting into first gear and I kept stalling over and over and getting stressed out. got a few angry honks too....

should I be worried about my tranny? I know Im probably just freaking out, but that horrible gear grinding sound when you stall just makes me want to cry.

and please tell me it gets better! I was getting so frustrated by the end of the day. eventually I got my buddy who has a bugeye rex to ride with me and he gave me a lot of good tips.

I know Im a honda not a subie but lets face it, honda makes nice cars but the community sucks. thats why I like subies so much because alot of real drivers dig them and I could use a little guidance. any tips to a noob on stick would be appreciated too. thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

alot of people are intimidated with manual. like my wife but shes learning and doing pretty good with it now. anyway i applaude u for learning. i think everyone should learn it. just hang in there it does get easier the more u do it. i found that my wife gets in a hurry alot and thats when she stalls in first gear. i tell her to move the clutch slower and she does good for awhile as long as she doesnt get in a hurry. dont worry about people behind u even if they beep at u they will get over it. your still leanring. i have been driving manual for 17 yrs and i also drive big trucks for a living and once in awhile i stall to everyone does it. good luck
    HAWK-EYE ALLIANCE #7878
    2007 WRX TR
    My work in progress. http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/off-to...ld-thread.html

Try to just rev to little over 1k and let the clutch out slowly till it starts to catch. Its all about learning where its start to catch at, just takes practice.
    Last edited by cjm1991; 06-13-2010 at 07:28 AM.
    Chris
    02 Camaro z28 T-Tops, m6 49k miles
    Bolt ons and tuned - 349rwhp/362rwtq
    02 Ws6 T-Top,m6 80k miles
    Bolt ons/Cam/tune - 436rwhp/424rwtq