About to buy a 02 wrx

This is a discussion on About to buy a 02 wrx within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I'm brand new to the Subaru world, I've been driving BMW and Honda and this will be my first venture ...

About to buy a 02 wrx

I'm brand new to the Subaru world, I've been driving BMW and Honda and this will be my first venture in to Subaru...
    I've almost agreed to a deal here for a 2002 wrx
    It has 83000 miles 5 speed, minor dents on the trunk.
    Everything else seems fine.
    The timing belt has not been changed yet, and one of my questions is when do you guys recommend me to change the timing belt?
    Also, There is a roaring noise from the back, does anyone have any idea what that could be?

I have it for $6500, so I believe it's a good deal, but I'm just trying to check with all the subaru members here..
    Thank you so much

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Welcome to ClubWRX!
    Please read the stickies (FAQs) in the purchasing forum
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/car-purchasing-forum/

The timing belt should be done before 105k. However, you can always do it early.

As for the roaring noise out back, is it speed sensitive or rev sensitive? Are you sure it's coming from the back, and not below you?
    If it's speed sensitive I bet it needs a wheel bearing (most likely) or possibly the rear dif (less likely). If it's rev sensitive it may have a problem with the exhaust. If it's coming from below you, then the transmission may need work.

$6500 is very inexpensive. It's worth the money to have a trained mechanic inspect the car before purchase. Just to make sure the up coming repairs don't exceed the price difference between what you're paying and how much the car is worth.
    Last edited by SeattleJeremy; 06-09-2010 at 02:09 PM.