Repaint or Replace?
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Repaint or Replace? within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I have a 2002 WRX wagon, Subaru Blue color. The paint on the hood on what I think is called ...

Repaint or Replace?

I have a 2002 WRX wagon, Subaru Blue color. The paint on the hood on what I think is called the air intake (the part in the middle of the hood that rises above the rest) is bubbling and chipping off. I went to a body shop and they were going to charge $300 to repaint it to match the rest of the hood. A friend suggested that I just replace this with a used air intake and said that it shouldn't be that hard.

How much would it cost to buy a replacement? How hard is it to replace (I'm a girl with not much car experience but somewhat mechanically minded Where should I buy it?

Thanks for any input and suggestions.
    SusieWRX

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Call around your local wrecking yards. Many cars are owned by elite, highly skilled drivers and as a result get driven into trees, so spares should not be hard to find. See if you can find a replacement in better shape than what you've got.

Also, shop around body shops because prices vary dramatically.

Incidentally, I doubt the nose of the car is in great shape, right? If the hood scoop is hurting the nose must be chipped too. You may want to ask around friends/relatives/etc. for a good place and if you are going to keep the car, see what it needs as far as paint -- it's cheaper to do it all at once rather than piecemeal. It's not inexpensive, mind you, but it's less.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    Many cars are owned by elite, highly skilled drivers and as a result get driven into trees, so spares should not be hard to find.
    STINK-EYE MOB #15 ||

Quote Originally Posted by SusieWRX View Post
    I have a 2002 WRX wagon, Subaru Blue color. The paint on the hood on what I think is called the air intake (the part in the middle of the hood that rises above the rest) is bubbling and chipping off. I went to a body shop and they were going to charge $300 to repaint it to match the rest of the hood. A friend suggested that I just replace this with a used air intake and said that it shouldn't be that hard.

How much would it cost to buy a replacement? How hard is it to replace (I'm a girl with not much car experience but somewhat mechanically minded Where should I buy it?

Thanks for any input and suggestions.
    SusieWRX
    Welcome!

The color is officially called World Rally Blue (WRB for short). The air intake is actually a thing inside the engine compartment, near the front and on the passenger side - to what you're referring is the hood scoop - takes in air and pushes it through the intercooler.

You have a couple of options regarding your hood scoop.

#1: paint it yourself. You can buy the official paint online, and it's just a simple, three-part spray paint job - the hardest part is taking off the old paint, which should be free (but not necessarily easy - ask someone who knows bodywork).

#2: buy an unpainted scoop, paint it yourself or get the guy to paint it - will be easier, and probably cheaper because it requires no paint removal.

#3: buy a painted scoop. Harder to find and more expensive, but nice, easy solution.

Looks like you'll probably find a solution with some searching for around $250 (painting yourself - a LOT cheaper. Ask around to see if you want to try it - again, not a bodywork expert )

Plus, solutions 2 and 3 give you the chance to get more airflow and a better look with the jdm sti scoop - a bit more aggressive looking.

Anyway, good luck fixing this - those little things can be the most annoying!
    My big thread: The Used WRX Buying Checklist - Please Contribute!

My current car: 2002 WRB WRX Wagon.
    Mods: GM BCS, Carberry SD rom, uppipe, AEM UEGO, Klunk Killer, F+R shifter bushings, head unit

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.