Repaint or Replace?

This is a discussion on Repaint or Replace? within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I have a 2002 WRX wagon, Subaru Blue color. The paint on the hood on what I think is called ...

Repaint or Replace?

I have a 2002 WRX wagon, Subaru Blue color. The paint on the hood on what I think is called the air intake (the part in the middle of the hood that rises above the rest) is bubbling and chipping off. I went to a body shop and they were going to charge $300 to repaint it to match the rest of the hood. A friend suggested that I just replace this with a used air intake and said that it shouldn't be that hard.

How much would it cost to buy a replacement? How hard is it to replace (I'm a girl with not much car experience but somewhat mechanically minded Where should I buy it?

Thanks for any input and suggestions.
    SusieWRX

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Call around your local wrecking yards. Many cars are owned by elite, highly skilled drivers and as a result get driven into trees, so spares should not be hard to find. See if you can find a replacement in better shape than what you've got.

Also, shop around body shops because prices vary dramatically.

Incidentally, I doubt the nose of the car is in great shape, right? If the hood scoop is hurting the nose must be chipped too. You may want to ask around friends/relatives/etc. for a good place and if you are going to keep the car, see what it needs as far as paint -- it's cheaper to do it all at once rather than piecemeal. It's not inexpensive, mind you, but it's less.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    Many cars are owned by elite, highly skilled drivers and as a result get driven into trees, so spares should not be hard to find.
    STINK-EYE MOB #15 ||

Quote Originally Posted by SusieWRX View Post
    I have a 2002 WRX wagon, Subaru Blue color. The paint on the hood on what I think is called the air intake (the part in the middle of the hood that rises above the rest) is bubbling and chipping off. I went to a body shop and they were going to charge $300 to repaint it to match the rest of the hood. A friend suggested that I just replace this with a used air intake and said that it shouldn't be that hard.

How much would it cost to buy a replacement? How hard is it to replace (I'm a girl with not much car experience but somewhat mechanically minded Where should I buy it?

Thanks for any input and suggestions.
    SusieWRX
    Welcome!

The color is officially called World Rally Blue (WRB for short). The air intake is actually a thing inside the engine compartment, near the front and on the passenger side - to what you're referring is the hood scoop - takes in air and pushes it through the intercooler.

You have a couple of options regarding your hood scoop.

#1: paint it yourself. You can buy the official paint online, and it's just a simple, three-part spray paint job - the hardest part is taking off the old paint, which should be free (but not necessarily easy - ask someone who knows bodywork).

#2: buy an unpainted scoop, paint it yourself or get the guy to paint it - will be easier, and probably cheaper because it requires no paint removal.

#3: buy a painted scoop. Harder to find and more expensive, but nice, easy solution.

Looks like you'll probably find a solution with some searching for around $250 (painting yourself - a LOT cheaper. Ask around to see if you want to try it - again, not a bodywork expert )

Plus, solutions 2 and 3 give you the chance to get more airflow and a better look with the jdm sti scoop - a bit more aggressive looking.

Anyway, good luck fixing this - those little things can be the most annoying!
    My big thread: The Used WRX Buying Checklist - Please Contribute!

My current car: 2002 WRB WRX Wagon.
    Mods: GM BCS, Carberry SD rom, uppipe, AEM UEGO, Klunk Killer, F+R shifter bushings, head unit