Whats up guys, Just got my 2010 WRX Limited! =D NEED ADVICE FOR STEREO!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Whats up guys, Just got my 2010 WRX Limited! =D NEED ADVICE FOR STEREO! within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Well I had him on hold for over a month getting the finances all worked out but he's completely paid ...

Whats up guys, Just got my 2010 WRX Limited! =D NEED ADVICE FOR STEREO!

Well I had him on hold for over a month getting the finances all worked out but he's completely paid off and all mine now! Plus while he was sitting on the lot I had them add some goodies. SPT Cat Back, SPT Boost Guage, Sport grille (hated the stache), and the footwell kit. I hated the shifter knob so I threw a Momo Sphere on and I am much happier shifting. This car is the first AWD I've ever driven and my last car was a GTi so I'm still adjusting but I'm blown away by how powerful this thing is. I'm driving around and just in 2 weeks I've had it so many subaru's have been honking its gotten me to do it now. Seems like only good people in the subie "club". Glad to be a new member!

I just honestly cant stand the stereo, especially since all my previous cars have all had pretty amazing systems. I'm set on getting the Pioneer AVH-P3200DVD. I've read a lot about this so far and I've read the speakers in the limited or premium package are good, so I'm curious if I should replace them or just keep them? If so, with what? I also want an amp and sub. So any suggestions on models or brands would be great!

And here are the pictures of my WRX in front of Miller Park.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Welcome =)

I would move over to interior mods for stuff like this for future reference - it'll get more attention. This forum is more for just introducing yourself and asking real basic questions.

I don't know what comes with the limited package, but you can always replace the head unit and then later on replace the speakers and get the amps going. I wouldn't count on running the stock speakers with any external amps, I doubt they would handle it, but then again I am not familiar with the package. It depends on what kind of speakers they put in it. I'd say throw the head unit in for now, can always replace the other stuff later.

Small steps are better with car audio anyhow. This will make noise/ground issues easier to diagnose if you take it slow. Many times you do the entire setup at once, and it becomes hard to fix any crackle or noise. This way you can make sure your head unit is installed properly and go from there.

Start checking ebay or shopping around for good speakers/amps... if you are like me you'll never be happy with the car stereo until it is perfect
    Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex
    He was throwing balloons filled with sulfuric acid and shrapnel at the swat team. They finally had to take him down with rubber bullets.
    2011 STi Build Log
    -Part 1 - Reading, Data Logging, and Analyzing Data
    -Part 2 - Turbocharger 101 & Basic Boost Control
    -Part 3 - EcuFlash, Experimental Defintions, and a Drive By Wire Intro

yeah i kinda mixed in a whats up with some questions about the stereo. I'll just repost in the interior section. Thanks a lot for your help though.

Nice ride! Congrats

As for the audio, I've a large soft spot for pioneer head units. Of all the different brands I've had over the years the pioneer's always had the best functionality and reliability over the others. I currently have a avic F700BT in my wrx.. however may one day snap up one of these

http://signature.crutchfield.com/s_1...tp=20212&avf=N

or this one

http://signature.crutchfield.com/s_1...tp=20212&avf=N

or if the prices dont get more reasonable I may just build myself a carputer. with mini ITX widely available and getting quicker.. along with DIN slot sized cases and variable soft shut down power supplies.. possibilities are endless. Only limiting factor is the budget.
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    My name is Shawn, I'm a Devout Practicalist and I'm addicted to flat4's
    This page has had 1,666 visits
    SUCH IS MANGO!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ill_Mil View Post
    Well I had him on hold for over a month getting the finances all worked out but he's completely paid off and all mine now! Plus while he was sitting on the lot I had them add some goodies. SPT Cat Back, SPT Boost Guage, Sport grille (hated the stache), and the footwell kit. I hated the shifter knob so I threw a Momo Sphere on and I am much happier shifting. This car is the first AWD I've ever driven and my last car was a GTi so I'm still adjusting but I'm blown away by how powerful this thing is. I'm driving around and just in 2 weeks I've had it so many subaru's have been honking its gotten me to do it now. Seems like only good people in the subie "club". Glad to be a new member!

I just honestly cant stand the stereo, especially since all my previous cars have all had pretty amazing systems. I'm set on getting the Pioneer AVH-P3200DVD. I've read a lot about this so far and I've read the speakers in the limited or premium package are good, so I'm curious if I should replace them or just keep them? If so, with what? I also want an amp and sub. So any suggestions on models or brands would be great!

And here are the pictures of my WRX in front of Miller Park.

Banned
    Congrats !
    I just changed out the HU in my 2010 Limited . I put in an AVIC-U310BT. Looks awesome. A tight fit though. Not much room behind radio. I think it's the best deal out there (if you can live without DVD video). It has built in GPS and bluetooth. Amazon had it for $259. (the price has gone up slightly). I also added a pioneer 10 inch sub with amp. Sounds much better.

Go with the Pioneer AVH-P3200BT for sure. I just installed mine last weekend and I love it. Couldn't have really asked for more features out of a head unit. I will eventually get the Navi add-on but it's not needed for now. Good luck and have fun. BTW that Parking Break Bypass is a pain in the ass. Ground it to a toggle switch and then all you have to do is leave the switch in the on position and then everytime you start the car toggle it off and back on so that the video will work all the time. Otherwise just ground it to the parking break if you don't care about playing videos while driving.
    Bugeye Mafia Member #318.
    2003 WRB WRX w/Gold Rota SDR 17x7

could build a relay latch to do the toggling for you if you really wanted to. It'd drive me nuts having to flip a switch all the time... let alone the OCD comments my friends would make ... or that they already make now just more often lol
    Last edited by mangostick; 06-03-2010 at 06:55 PM.
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    SUCH IS MANGO!

Quote Originally Posted by loren83 View Post
    Go with the Pioneer AVH-P3200BT for sure. I just installed mine last weekend and I love it. Couldn't have really asked for more features out of a head unit. I will eventually get the Navi add-on but it's not needed for now. Good luck and have fun. BTW that Parking Break Bypass is a pain in the ass. Ground it to a toggle switch and then all you have to do is leave the switch in the on position and then everytime you start the car toggle it off and back on so that the video will work all the time. Otherwise just ground it to the parking break if you don't care about playing videos while driving.
    I put in that headunit as well a couple of weeks ago in my '10 and it is really nice.. main difference between this and the 3200dvd model is you apparently lose the rear USB port, but you gain really nice bluetooth capability.

at least the speakers in the entry level stock unit are COMPETE CRAP. I put in some alpine sps-600 6.5" and they sound wonderful.

Yeah I went with a pioneer also. AVH-P4200DVD. They are nice units. I would rather have the DVD than NAV. I know where im going 99.99% of the time so NAV is a waste. The dvd I have hooked up so it plays while im driving. Mostly for the passenger! Most shops will do it but its illegal. Just like everthing else. Tint, loud exhaust, ect. They are supposed to only play with the parking brake applied. But yes. The stock unit is a piece of shizzz. Its made by clarion just to let you guys know. Might want to stay away from another clarion DD unit. Oh, also you can change the background to any color under the sun to match your interior.
    '09 Sti

I found the factory speakers in my base to be fine.. just added some blaupunct tweets I had layin around (in factory location via dealer bought tweet panels) ..

huge improvement in staging and imaging. I found the factory speakers to be more tolerant of head unit power vs needing an amp to sound right. Bass response is decent for most music. I have my low freq cutoff set at 63Hz .. no 6.5" speaker is going to go lower than that accurately in a auto or door mount scenario.

There are a crap tonne of dd decks out there, search around and find the deals. Seems pioneer wins it with this crowd though
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    SUCH IS MANGO!

Quote Originally Posted by Nigel79 View Post
    Yeah I went with a pioneer also. AVH-P4200DVD. They are nice units. I would rather have the DVD than NAV. I know where im going 99.99% of the time so NAV is a waste. The dvd I have hooked up so it plays while im driving. Mostly for the passenger! Most shops will do it but its illegal. Just like everthing else. Tint, loud exhaust, ect. They are supposed to only play with the parking brake applied. But yes. The stock unit is a piece of shizzz. Its made by clarion just to let you guys know. Might want to stay away from another clarion DD unit. Oh, also you can change the background to any color under the sun to match your interior.
    You can also load images to an SD card and set them as the wallpaper. I have a carbon fiber wallpaper with a Subaru logo in the middle. I will say that it's a pain in the a** to get them the right resolution though.

Quote Originally Posted by loren83 View Post
    You can also load images to an SD card and set them as the wallpaper. I have a carbon fiber wallpaper with a Subaru logo in the middle. I will say that it's a pain in the a** to get them the right resolution though.
    Any advice on how to do this? I uploaded a pic once and holy crap it looked ugly...

I found this and it could be useful info. Haven't had a chance to try this method myself. Luckily the image I found ended up fitting right between the top and bottom rows of icons so it looks great. Give this a shot and see if it works for you.

http://avic411.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=23329

having avic feeds helps.. you can download it free from the pioneer website. I've got a brushed alum background with WRX script in it. Everyone that doesn't know the wiser assumes its a factory radio lol

I'm a member over on avic411.. HUGE amounts of info over there. Highly recommend giving that site a look if you have deeper questions.
    Last edited by mangostick; 06-04-2010 at 04:57 AM.
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    SUCH IS MANGO!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.