BMW 335i soon to be WRX Premium 5-door - Page 4
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

This is a discussion on BMW 335i soon to be WRX Premium 5-door within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I still say stick with the 335i. Your car is spooling up at about 1800 RPM's and a well tuned, ...

I still say stick with the 335i. Your car is spooling up at about 1800 RPM's and a well tuned, well modded WRX will maybe start spooling at about 2500 RPM. If you are able to work on your own car then it might be worth your time to get a WRX, but like most BMW owners I know they have no mechanic abilities.

I don't know how much you owe on that 335i but do the math and think twice. I love my Subaru and you might love Subaru as well but it is like going backwards. If the math works out in the WRX favor do it but mod wisely and don't think it is easy. Better just hire a real pro and get it tuned right. Modding a WRX is not that hard if you know what you are doing, but you need to have tools and some experience turning a wrench.

This is just my humble opinion and don't want to scare you away. Just think about it long and hard which I am sure you will.
    Life is like riding a bicycle in order to keep your balance you must keep moving.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by oguitar View Post
    I still say stick with the 335i. Your car is spooling up at about 1800 RPM's and a well tuned, well modded WRX will maybe start spooling at about 2500 RPM. If you are able to work on your own car then it might be worth your time to get a WRX, but like most BMW owners I know they have no mechanic abilities.

I don't know how much you owe on that 335i but do the math and think twice. I love my Subaru and you might love Subaru as well but it is like going backwards. If the math works out in the WRX favor do it but mod wisely and don't think it is easy. Better just hire a real pro and get it tuned right. Modding a WRX is not that hard if you know what you are doing, but you need to have tools and some experience turning a wrench.

This is just my humble opinion and don't want to scare you away. Just think about it long and hard which I am sure you will.
    Thank you for you honest insight.

to the op...

I personally find 2nd gear to be the most practical "fun gear". This is due to the fact that it redlines at around 63 mph, so you can run it all the way out without breaking the law too much.. (or not at all on a 65mph+ interstate).. plus being in first gear.. hovering at 3krpm and then gunning.. giddy up thats quite the push back.

Quote Originally Posted by Leeeeeeeeee View Post
    Hey, I couldn't help but notice this thread...I actually created my account for these forums just to post a reply =P

I myself own a 2008 WRX and it is AWESOME. I've driven it for the past year after having moved on from my previous car (a 2001 Nissan Maxima). I haven't put any mods on my car, but it still feels like a beast. It sticks to the road on every curve and it's ability to accelerate is just amazing.

My 2008 WRX has about 224 hp and 226 lb-ft of torque, but the 2009 and (I think) 2010 models have 265 hp with 244 lb-ft of torque. I have heard rumors that the advertised 265 hp of the newer WRX models is the WHP, as opposed to the horsepower that is advertised for most other cars (including the 2008 WRX) in which the BHP is advertised instead. I don't know how valid this is. Could anyone confirm this?

Anyways, I highly recommend the WRX, as it is a very fun car to drive. I've never driven the STI, but I'm sure it only gets better!

By the way...the 3rd gear is killer!!!

so the 335 went back to BMW in July. Finally got around to ordering a new 2011 WRX 5-door base.

Glad I waited too, got 300 over invoice, which I feel is a steal.

Apparently the 2011 get new bushings (have no idea what this is lol), new 6 speaker sound system, bluetooth music stream + phone, usb interface, new body design, quad exhaust, wider body/wheels. ALL THIS ON THE BASE MODEL. I laughed when she asked me if I wanted anything else. I couldn't think of any other options.

Anyway, the car gets here end of aug or mid sept. I will post pics and stuff when it arrives.

Once again thanks for all your support and answers to my silly questions

btw what are bushings, what do they do?

I Support ClubWRX
    bushings are basically rubber/polyurethane squishy parts for lack of a better term. They are used in the drive line and shifter to prevent full noise and vibration from the road hitting you. Some of them are soft from subaru, and you can just replace them with polyurethane ones to suit your preference.

Please post up with your comparison of the two. A used 335xi is in my list of considerations post school, and am still leaning towards a new STi but we will see. I want to feel the road for a while, and drive a new car for once.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex
    He was throwing balloons filled with sulfuric acid and shrapnel at the swat team. They finally had to take him down with rubber bullets.
    2011 STi Build Log
    -Part 1 - Reading, Data Logging, and Analyzing Data
    -Part 2 - Turbocharger 101 & Basic Boost Control
    -Part 3 - EcuFlash, Experimental Defintions, and a Drive By Wire Intro

Quote Originally Posted by Heide264 View Post
    bushings are basically rubber/polyurethane squishy parts for lack of a better term. They are used in the drive line and shifter to prevent full noise and vibration from the road hitting you. Some of them are soft from subaru, and you can just replace them with polyurethane ones to suit your preference.

Please post up with your comparison of the two. A used 335xi is in my list of considerations post school, and am still leaning towards a new STi but we will see. I want to feel the road for a while, and drive a new car for once.
    Oh cool thanks. I guess they also stiffened the suspension somehow to reduce body roll. I will post a comparison as soon as I get some drive time in.

Quote Originally Posted by hisdigness View Post
    Its already a beast, but also quite expensive. Does the custom tuning help with the low end torque at all?
    dude google burger motorsports jb3 tune for the 335i..... its like 400 dollars and instant like 70 hp to the wheels.

Quote Originally Posted by Heide264 View Post

335's have problems with the injectors and the fuel pumps. bad problems, like new fuel pumps every 10000 miles.

I just left a 135i for a STi thats still on order, and although i love the low end power and how it pulled (had JB3 tune on it), but it wasnt very reliable and the parts might seem top notch but BMW has some serius quality issues they have to adress...

I had my car a year and a half and i had to warranty

Fuel Pump Changed (notorious failures on 135's and 335's)

Brake Light (3 times broke off)

Tail Lights (one went our due to defective seal)

Complete Dash (Molded leather started to bubble and creace marks on air bag)

Stereo (Display would erase when car was hot inside)

I hope Subaru has better quality, and at least here in Mexico they have a longer warranty period...
    Last edited by Luis Franco; 11-24-2010 at 09:12 PM.

I Support ClubWRX
    Yeah, if I went with a 335 Id get the x and make sure it was a certified preowned with that 6yr warranty. Going to try to find one to test drive at least.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex
    He was throwing balloons filled with sulfuric acid and shrapnel at the swat team. They finally had to take him down with rubber bullets.
    2011 STi Build Log
    -Part 1 - Reading, Data Logging, and Analyzing Data
    -Part 2 - Turbocharger 101 & Basic Boost Control
    -Part 3 - EcuFlash, Experimental Defintions, and a Drive By Wire Intro

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234