BMW 335i soon to be WRX Premium 5-door - Page 3
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

This is a discussion on BMW 335i soon to be WRX Premium 5-door within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; hp for all factory cars is rated at the crank. in regards to the push on the 2010 models.. sways ...

hp for all factory cars is rated at the crank.

in regards to the push on the 2010 models.. sways and links will take out a good majority of it (did in my case anyway) .. it'll never be quite like a rwd car handling wise though. It may better suit your driving style or may disagree with you. Only way to tell is to drive one. If you dig it enough to grab it, change the sways and you'll have a really sweet driver feel along with taking the push out.

From the research I've been doing on the 09+ (not alot of data yet on 2010 but the 09 is virtually identical) .. with just a stage 1 tune they gain something like 30 hp and 40lb/ft tq. Stage II puts it over 300hp @ crank and closer to factory crank numbers at the wheels.

Be advised though, any ecm changes toss your driveline warranty out the window.. but all oem's are like that. If you're comfy with that Idea, tune to hearts content. From what I've read and heard, the access port unit can "un-marry" itself after returning to a factory tune. This might be useful in getting around the warranty catch if something does go wrong.

The newer 5mt is supposed to be stronger than the older versions. I'm not sure on this (not willing to use my own as a test mule ) .. but haven't heard of anyone breaking a 08+ 5mt yet. All depends on the driver and how graceful power delivery and shifting is.

so far from my 2010 and 17K mi of seat time.. as well as having driven quite a variety of bimmers in the past, you'll be quite pleased with the subaru. Its snotty enough to be alot of fun, utilitarian enough to be useful and well I love the hatch so I think it looks wicked too.

Also not going to chew your wallet quite as bad as the "Bavarian Money Waster"
    Last edited by mangostick; 05-29-2010 at 04:28 PM.
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    My name is Shawn, I'm a Devout Practicalist and I'm addicted to flat4's
    This page has had 1,666 visits
    SUCH IS MANGO!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by hisdigness View Post
    Its already a beast, but also quite expensive. Does the custom tuning help with the low end torque at all?
    Welcome. I went from 06 STi to a 07 335i, and I can honestly say in terms of power, handling, the WRX will be the best bang for your buck. With a TBE and Tune you will make great power, and if you can find the right tuner he will tune you to your needs (low end tq) If you have any detailed questions PM me.
    2012 Lightning Red WRX
    Sold: 2006 Sti
    Sold: 07 335i coupe Monaco Blue

The WRX Premium has heated seats, heated windshield wiper areas, and heated side mirrors I believe whereas the STI doesn't.

The WRX is plenty of car for most people. Although I'd like and STI, I don't need and STI. And I don't want to do w/o heated seats.
    -Chris
    2009 WRX - South Denver, CO

Quote Originally Posted by mangostick View Post
    hp for all factory cars is rated at the crank.

in regards to the push on the 2010 models.. sways and links will take out a good majority of it (did in my case anyway) .. it'll never be quite like a rwd car handling wise though. It may better suit your driving style or may disagree with you. Only way to tell is to drive one. If you dig it enough to grab it, change the sways and you'll have a really sweat driver feel along with taking the push out.

From the research I've been doing on the 09+ (not alot of data yet on 2010 but the 09 is virtually identical) .. with just a stage 1 tune they gain something like 30 hp and 40lb/ft tq. Stage II puts it over 300hp @ crank and closer to factory crank numbers at the wheels.

Be advised though, any ecm changes toss your driveline warranty out the window.. but all oem's are like that. If you're comfy with that Idea, tune to hearts content. From what I've read and heard, the access port unit can "un-marry" itself after returning to a factory tune. This might be useful in getting around the warranty catch if something does go wrong.

The newer 5mt is supposed to be stronger than the older versions. I'm not sure on this (not willing to use my own as a test mule ) .. but haven't heard of anyone breaking a 08+ 5mt yet. All depends on the driver and how graceful power delivery and shifting is.

so far from my 2010 and 17K mi of seat time.. as well as having driven quite a variety of bimmers in the past, you'll be quite pleased with the subaru. Its snotty enough to be alot of fun, utilitarian enough to be useful and well I love the hatch so I think it looks wicked too.

Also not going to chew your wallet quite as bad as the "Bavarian Money Waster"
    very informative thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by CobbNation View Post
    Welcome. I went from 06 STi to a 07 335i, and I can honestly say in terms of power, handling, the WRX will be the best bang for your buck. With a TBE and Tune you will make great power, and if you can find the right tuner he will tune you to your needs (low end tq) If you have any detailed questions PM me.
    Great, thanks and good to know.

Thanks everyone for being so informative and supportive. Its a nice change from the e90forums. lol. Over there if I even mention another car company everyone loses it! Thanks for not doing that here and honestly answering all of my questions!

I Support ClubWRX
    Its already a beast, but also quite expensive. Does the custom tuning help with the low end torque at all?
    Yes, a lot. A custom tune safely extracts all the power an engine has to offer. The 2.5 liter engine has a lot of low end potential.

With a modified stock turbo and custom tune even my 2.0 liter makes serious low end grunt. I ran an off the shelf map for a few years before I finally got a custom tune. I should have done so much sooner. Off the shelf is a term to describe a generic map (tune) provided by a device like Cobb's accessport.
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

Quote Originally Posted by 04.SPT.WRX View Post
    Yes, a lot. A custom tune safely extracts all the power an engine has to offer. The 2.5 liter engine has a lot of low end potential.

With a modified stock turbo and custom tune even my 2.0 liter makes serious low end grunt. I ran an off the shelf map for a few years before I finally got a custom tune. I should have done so much sooner. Off the shelf is a term to describe a generic map (tune) provided by a device like Cobb's accessport.
    Ok. Now when you say custom. Do you do it yourself or take it somewhere and have someone customize it for you?

I Support ClubWRX
    Ok. Now when you say custom. Do you do it yourself or take it somewhere and have someone customize it for you?
    Either. There is open source tuning you can do yourself with free software (ROM Raider) and a Tatrix cable, or find a shop in your area who does tuning. I opted for a professional tune using Cobb's proprietary software. http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/tuning...ml#post2608800

I have a friend who does open source tuning and think I may try it myself ... with some guidance to start.

Another great link for a new WRX owner: http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=533787

NASIOC is a much larger forum that is like a big noisy city compared to our friendlier community here. Flaming is a regular way of life over there but is a great source of information.
    Last edited by Sasquatch; 05-29-2010 at 05:29 PM.
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    Mods & Pics

Either. There is open source tuning you can do yourself with free software (ROM Raider) and a Tatrix cable, or find a shop in your area who does tuning. I opted for a professional tune using Cobb's proprietary software. http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/tuning...ml#post2608800

I have a friend who does open source tuning and think I may try it myself ... with some guidance to start.

Another great link for a new WRX owner: http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=533787

NASIOC is a much larger forum that is like a big noisy city compared to our friendlier community here. Flaming is a regular way of life over there but is a great source of information.
    Great ty again.

I Support ClubWRX
    You have a lot of options ... take some time, read though as much as you can and decide what is best for you and the type of driving you anticipate. Most of all, keep it fun.
    Mods & Pics

You have a lot of options ... take some time, read though as much as you can and decide what is best for you and the type of driving you anticipate. Most of all, keep it fun.
    Will do. I have plenty of time so I will take your advice and do just that, research!

I Support ClubWRX
    Aside from a dealer installed SPT suspension package I did most of my modding a little at a time. I think I was able to better evaluate what each addition did.

SOA no longer offers that package. Good thing, the struts were absolute crap.
    Mods & Pics

Aside from a dealer installed SPT suspension package I did most of my modding a little at a time. I think I was able to better evaluate what each addition did.

SOA no longer offers that package. Good thing, the struts were absolute crap.
    Is it possible to do the struts by myself?

I Support ClubWRX
    Is it possible to do the struts by myself?
    Depends on your mechanical ability - it is not difficult. From 2008 on, there are only struts up front; the rear uses a double wishbone setup.

This old article (wow still online!) is what got me to go with the SPT suspension setup. While better than stock, the rear struts did not last long. Turns out the STi v.7 & 8 rear struts were prone to failure. I went through three sets until I'd had enough and installed the pricey Ohlins struts.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/tests/co...n/blue-streaks
    Last edited by Sasquatch; 05-29-2010 at 07:10 PM.
    Mods & Pics

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.