What's up...eh!

This is a discussion on What's up...eh! within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; How's it going all! Proud new owner of an 02 wrx here. After a lengthy search I finally decided on ...

What's up...eh!

How's it going all! Proud new owner of an 02 wrx here. After a lengthy search I finally decided on one about a month ago. 124000km (yes I'm Canadian), little to no rust and completely stock apart from a short throw.
    I've been creeping this forum as well as NASIOC since I got the car. Seems the more I look the more I'm confused with which route to take with modifying. I THINK I've got it narrowed down now....but am looking for opions before I go ahead with anything. if you plan on posting a "welcome" and have some extra time, i'd love to hear your opinion but by no means want to start a debate of any kind.

Anyways, like I said I'm from canada and this wrx will be seeing snow (and has for the last 8 years) so I don't need anything TOO fast or flashy. I was thinking...as I have little knowledge with cars, that the cobb accessport might be the way to go. Maybe run it stage 1 for a bit then get the cobb intake and tbe and go stage 2. I just think the cobb exhaust sounds nice/not to loud...not because cobb says to pair them with the ap. Then maybe (much) later on get a different turbo and protune? For the time being I would like to make it a little faster and actually have that boxer sound...safely.

Also I have a set of 04 sti brembos (calipers, pads and rotors) in my closet...due to having 16" rims and no adapter kit or over sized e-brake shoes. And I also have the chance to get an sti intercooler for 100$, but heard it's a waste with stock turbo...

SO! am I on the right track? close even? different brands? sell the brakes? buy the IC? etc.

Sorry for the mad long annoying...1st post. But summer is here, and I don't think i'll be figuring out a good route on my own any time soon. Would be a major help, plus it would be nice to get some opinions from people who don't stand to make any money off me.

anyways...

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Welcome!!

You sound like you're doing the research... just keep sifting around and you'll figure out what you'd like!

Put questions out there in separate threads.. for instance the exhaust and intercooler questions in the "Engine Modifications" threads... That'll get you more opinions to your questions. Very few members read the new member's sections!
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

Ya i've been reading up on what I can. This post was more of a last resort, as with my lack of modding and tuning, it's easy for me to find out whats available through the forums but it's hard to figure out, as a whole, what works. I just thought if I explained my situation and plans maybe someone one would be like "that's what i'm running, I recommend the setup, just remember new injectors and gut the stock uppipe" or "u'r a fool, just get a downpipe and tune for 1/3 the price"...whatever helps. lol

I thought it was a simple setup other people might be using...or keeping away from for whatever reasons.

We'll see, but your probably right, I'll end up having to break this mess down. haha

I Support ClubWRX
    for an 02... the setup that most will tell you to get:

Engine?
    Up pipe
    Turbo Back Exhaust
    Tune (whether accessport or protune is up to you)

suspension?
    sways / endlinks
    springs

brakes?
    pads
    lines
    fluid
    Kevin
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ

If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

thank you. probably saved me a weeks worth of searching if not more. and I just sold my old car and was planning on doing some needed repairs on the wrx really soon.

As I need to do my back brakes anyways...maybe sell the brembos and just get better pads/lines.

As my back struts are apparently weak and sagging....get stiffer springs at the same time as I replace those.

Then I guess the ap, mainly due to simplicity and extra features. Ex: boost guage...as I don't have one and it would be nice to know I'm at least pushing stock psi. lol

thanks again

I Support ClubWRX
    sure! with springs and struts get multiple opinions
    Kevin
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ

First mod - don't drive too much longer without a catless uppipe - I'd get one, not just dig out the cat.

You sound like you actually should be content with that power - from there, you should decide if you want stage2 (it might be fun anyway ).

HIGHLY recommended: those brakes you have, some good winter tires for winter (summers for summer), and fix up your suspension - that'll give you way more handling then you could possibly need

@poly - After some more reading, and seeing pics of catted up pipes gone bad...i'll take your advice with that. definitely.

As for power satisfaction, I used to ride a gsxr. Maybe I explained badly but the mods I was interested in are more because of price issues lol. I know it's hard to touch the acceleration, cornering, etc of a sport bike. But the closer I could come, the happier i'd be. =)

And the brakes...Sure I got them for dirt cheap (whole set for 250CAD ), but they still need either the 600$ proper rear rotors, or I think 300 it was for over sized shoes (so the e-brake works). Then have the same problems when they need replacing. Then of course finding 17" rims to fit...just to probably brake on a pothole next winter. And in quebec, we need winter tires...not all seasons. I'm figuring it'll be about another $2000+ just to have 17's and gold brembos. I might hold on to them in case, but I think a slighty stiffer suspension with swaybars and a set of good pads would do me just fine.

Thank you for the reply...it's all helping me out.

I Support ClubWRX
    Welcome to the Club, eh!
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

woohoo you're only a couple hours away from me! I miss winter though way too hot over here yuck

anyways theres lots of ways to go about modding these cars... i dont like doing stuff without seeing results so I went the pretty typical route...

up pipe, turbo back exhaust, accessport (which I will be selling very soon in case you're interested), rims with good tires and tomorrow I'm putting sti pink springs with agx struts on!
    very soon I'll be getting 22mm swaybars with good links and a pro tune to go along with a bunch of intake piping I'm also replacing

and being that this is my dd i wont be doing much more than that... which means in 2 years I'll be bored of this car and will upgrade it to something newer and start modding all over again lol

my buddy went a very different route with just a catback, good suspension, and lots of poly urethane bushings... very different than the norm but hes happy...

as for your brembos you got a ridiculous deal on them so I'd keep them until you can afford to put them on or sell them for what they're worth... thats a great deal on the sti intercooler too but it has to be custom tuned for so I'd skip out on it cause its not needed anyways until the turbo is upgraded

but thats just my opinion let me know if you ever come down to ottawa

-Alex
    LIVE LOUD, ROCK HARD!!@

2003 WRX wagon 16g + 6 speed

@alex - keep me informed about the ap (i will pm you my number if I can figure out how), definitely interested. I understand they sort of become "outdated" but at least for me, while i'm slowly getting to stage 2, should come in handy.

Thanks for commenting on the IC, I basically heard the same thing. Just wasn't sure if it would come in handy at stage 2 with the extra few psi. But if there's no OTS map on the ap and it's going to cost me to get it tuned, and the only benefit would be sti badge....then no thanks. haha

brembos were from a friend who thought they would fit his skyline. They were sitting in his closet for like a year now and he was dying to get rid of them. for that price they can sit in my closet, at least until I can afford to put them on or sell for fair price. They are on kijiji ottawa and montreal incase anyone knows anyone.

Nice to see some "locals" on here...bout an hour and a half apart. I actually found my wrx in ottawa.

yeah definitely nice to see neighbors!

you ever go on montreal subaru club? or ncsc?

-Alex
    LIVE LOUD, ROCK HARD!!@

2003 WRX wagon 16g + 6 speed