Hey what should i do?
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Hey what should i do? within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; i just bought a 2003 wrx and im wondering what i should do to it to make it sound better ...

Hey what should i do?

i just bought a 2003 wrx and im wondering what i should do to it
    to make it sound better and handle better and a bit faster.

and i dont want it to sound the the crappy civics with oversized exhaust pipes

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Start with the part of the car that touches the ground and work inwards and up until you're happy with the result.

Keep in mind that there is little, if any, reason to increase power, as the car already makes adequate power. Those who do not believe me might be well served to consider how many bends they take with their foot off the throttle, and how soon they do lift off. The dynamics are slowing the car, not the motor.

See the link in my signature for a post with info articles.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Depending on your overall goal for the car - sound, handling and power will VARY.
    I <3 SASHA.M

Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    Start with the part of the car that touches the ground and work inwards and up until you're happy with the result.

Keep in mind that there is little, if any, reason to increase power, as the car already makes adequate power. Those who do not believe me might be well served to consider how many bends they take with their foot off the throttle, and how soon they do lift off. The dynamics are slowing the car, not the motor.

See the link in my signature for a post with info articles.
    I would kinda have to disagree haha. I've had my bugeye for about a month and it doesn't feel fast to me very much anymore. It's completely stock.

I Support ClubWRX
    Try braking later and then accelerating sooner and I think you'll see what I mean.
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

yeah the engine is perfectly adequate but what about intake and exhaust or a short throw shifter

I Support ClubWRX
    For your model an exhaust can be fitted without the need to remap the ECU; however, you will see the most output increase with a remap.

Look for threads describing the up pipe catalytic converter as that's the place most people start.

The shifter bushings will be an improvement regardless of the shifter throw length. If you can drive a car with a shifter fitted, try it and see what you think.

An intake is not necessary and not what I'd be considering at this point.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by unrulyaardvark View Post
    and i dont want it to sound the the crappy civics with oversized exhaust pipes
    It won't... there's a difference between a 2.0L boxer engine, and a 1.6L or 1.8L inline four.
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

i am new to this so whats remapping the ecu is that like cobb stage 1 or 2 tuning

I Support ClubWRX
    You should spend some time reading some stickies, or if you want it all in one place:

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=533787

or

http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/2135638-post2.html

Sound wise, you won't sound like a civic as long as you don't replace your headers. If you replace your headers with equal (I'm pretty sure, could be unequal) length headers, you'll get that classic 4banger/weedwhacker sound. Add a fart can and ya got yourself a torquey honda, haha.

...I'd look into turbo back exhausts and maybe an up pipe while you are at it. Cat-back will get ya sound but nothing performance wise.

Keep in mind, a lot of mods with these cars don't get you much if anything at the wheels without a proper tune. Cobb stage 1 is pretty much just factory with a smoother power band. Stage 2 is a turbo back exhaust I'm pretty sure. There are alternatives to Cobb... if you are tight on the buck might want to look into open source. Just check out the engine management forum stickies for it. Remapping the ECU refers to a tune, so yes cobb stage 1/2 or whatnot is a type of tune.

This stuff is really expensive to play with. I'd spend a long time doing some reading before ya cough up your credit card number. For plug and play reasons, I'd look into fixing the exhaust up, getting a decent tune, and then going more into suspension and handling modifications =)

I Support ClubWRX
    If you've listened to a subaru with an equal length header... it still doesn't sound like a civic. more like an old dsm IMO.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCqvN...eature=related

here's a before and after:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OrLas...eature=related
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.