New owner of 2010 wrx, recommended upgrades? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on New owner of 2010 wrx, recommended upgrades? within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; yeah i was thinking about going with a turbo back exhaust right away. If i'm going to do anything with ...

yeah i was thinking about going with a turbo back exhaust right away. If i'm going to do anything with the exhaust i want to do it right the first time. I'm still under warranty tho, so I need to talk to the dealership service center to see what I am allowed to do.

As with the sway bars, how hard are they to install? I noticed when i hit 110mph the other day it seemed like i was losing a lot of stability. It wasn't the straightest road but when i hit a little bump it was enough that i had to correct the steering.

So far i'm ordering rally armor flaps and the weather mats someone recommended here on the forums.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I have rubber floor mats; I will never go back to carpet ever again.
    2009 WRX - South Denver, CO

turbo back exhaust will require a tune. No way around that.

Sway bars will help with stability, but really if you're planning on ballistic runs down bumpy roads you're going to need alot more than factory suspension.

Depending on you dealer, the service department may point you to spt parts or nothing at all.

Usually a cbe (cat back exhaust) is ok spt or not .. but anything that changes or eliminates emissions controls will cause issues with warranty coverage and will also require a re-tune.
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    My name is Shawn, I'm a Devout Practicalist and I'm addicted to flat4's
    This page has had 1,666 visits
    SUCH IS MANGO!

Quote Originally Posted by mangostick View Post
    turbo back exhaust will require a tune. No way around that.

Sway bars will help with stability, but really if you're planning on ballistic runs down bumpy roads you're going to need alot more than factory suspension.

Depending on you dealer, the service department may point you to spt parts or nothing at all.

Usually a cbe (cat back exhaust) is ok spt or not .. but anything that changes or eliminates emissions controls will cause issues with warranty coverage and will also require a re-tune.
    thanks for the info. looks like a catback exhaust may have to suffice for now. I was planning on getting an accessport if i i went beyond a catback, just have to do some more reading and planning.

If anybody can answer, where can i find a good deal to purchase an spt catback. Also what kind of intake should i purchase while still staying under warranty?

Just ordered rally armor flaps and weathertech floor mats though!

No need to go with an intake yet, the factory one flows pretty well. There aren't any that will allow your warranty to remain intact anyway since spt doesn't offer one and all aftermarket units require a tune.
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    SUCH IS MANGO!

For the catback I recommend trying to get one used. Check the classified on these forums. I got one in great shape for a fare price on a local forum.

Quote Originally Posted by matty dread View Post
    I did these things first in this order:

Tint rear and rear side windows.

Install Pioneer Z110BT head unit.

Weather Tec floor mats.

Rally Armor Mud Flaps.

I already had the rubber trunk mat, but if you don't have one of those get one.

Next up is probably perrin shifter bushings....already have a short throw shifter.
    a cheaper option for headunit would be avh-3200BT. I got it a couple of weeks ago and really enjoy it. can be had for $360 on amazon. doesn't have navigation, but does bluetooth nicely, has 4v pre-outs and plays movies.

Also.. replace the speakers, they are complete crap. could be a better choice before replacing headunit if money is tight.. not sure.

i got rubber floormats as a $60 option at purchase. I've found them to be pretty nice, they seem solid and of high quality.

I'd have to agree with the system, although its really not priority right now. I'm gonna shop for the spt catback.

Would it be a good idea to get an accessport or a chip to get a better map for my car? Also, would that violate my warranty? Thanks.

first upgrade i did to my 08 was a TSX retrofit. Once you go HID (a good setup, not something standard on a benz or bmw[garbage]), you never go back to halogens.

hmm.. so

HONDA (who makes the tsx) produces and/or uses better optics than the german makes?

(face palm) .. sure, and I'm a billionaire gigolo writing this from my private yacht in the caymans.

Your major manufacturers of oem hid optics are
    hella
    phillips
    Sylvania / Osram

so, regardless of the oem you're going to get one of those three. TSX projectors are physically easier to mount and thats why used for conversion more often than others. The optics are no better or worse than the others.

to the op, leave the headlights alone for now they work just fine. Maybe a matter of personal preference for some but in literal terms.. hid's are nice but not needed.

You'll get more bang for buck out of sways/links, shifter bushings, sticky tires, lighter wheels and a good performance alignment.

ANY tuning will void the warranty (if caught and I'm sure if its a driveline failure they'll check) .. intakes dont do much and cbe's just change the sound. The ap is a good Idea if you must tune since it can be "un-married" and the ecu brought back to factory tune. Only hitch is the cost, but you get what you pay for. Many run them and are very happy with them.
    Last edited by mangostick; 05-31-2010 at 05:50 PM.
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    SUCH IS MANGO!

Quote Originally Posted by mangostick View Post
    hmm.. so

HONDA (who makes the tsx) produces and/or uses better optics than the german makes?

(face palm) .. sure, and I'm a billionaire gigolo writing this from my private yacht in the caymans.

Your major manufacturers of oem hid optics are
    hella
    phillips
    Sylvania / Osram

so, regardless of the oem you're going to get one of those three. TSX projectors are physically easier to mount and thats why used for conversion more often than others. The optics are no better or worse than the others.

to the op, leave the headlights alone for now they work just fine. Maybe a matter of personal preference for some but in literal terms.. hid's are nice but not needed.

You'll get more bang for buck out of sways/links, shifter bushings, sticky tires, lighter wheels and a good performance alignment.

ANY tuning will void the warranty (if caught and I'm sure if its a driveline failure they'll check) .. intakes dont do much and cbe's just change the sound. The ap is a good Idea if you must tune since it can be "un-married" and the ecu brought back to factory tune. Only hitch is the cost, but you get what you pay for. Many run them and are very happy with them.
    Compare side by side any HID system out there, TSX, S2000, and Infinity FX have the best projectors out there. A little research and first hand experience goes a long way. German HID projectors are pure junk. Audi's is the only "okay" one.
    Last edited by ScubieSubie; 05-31-2010 at 10:31 PM.

Well, appears you did not do the research you claim to have done. By EYE you cannot measure performance of one optic to another.. unfortunately our human limitations don't allow us to do so. Sorry It takes some really expensive and complicated equipment to properly measure the effectiveness of a optical system.

the companies I listed DO in FACT manufacture the REFLECTORS AND OPTICS (not just the bulbs) used for hid purposes as well as other projection uses
    ex. theater and presentation projectors and even the lasers used in Disk drives and cd players.

HELLA as a matter of fact DEVELOPED the projector headlight for auto use in the early 1900s. See below.

Hella introduced ellipsoidal optics for acetylene headlamps in 1911, but following the electrification of vehicle lighting, this optical technique wasn't used for many decades. The first modern polyellipsoidal (projector) automotive lamp was the Super-Lite, an auxiliary headlamp produced in a joint venture between Chrysler Corporation and Sylvania and optionally installed in 1969 and 1970 full-size Dodge automobiles. It used an 85 watt transverse-filament tungsten-halogen bulb and was intended as a mid-beam, to extend the reach of the low beams during turnpike travel when low beams alone were inadequate but high beams would produce excessive glare.[21]

Projector main headlamps first appeared in 1981 on the Audi Quartz, the Quattro-based concept car designed by Pininfarina for Geneva Auto Salon.[citation needed] Developed more or less simultaneously in Germany by Hella and Bosch and in France by Cibiť, the projector low beam permitted accurate beam focus and a much smaller-diameter optical package, though a much deeper one, for any given beam output. The version of the 1986 BMW 7 Series sold outside North America was the first volume-production auto to use polyellipsoidal low beam headlamps.
    Later OSRAM bought Sylvania along with their patents on the hid reflectors and bulbs they had developed. I know for fact that Hella produces hid projector OPTICS as well because you can buy them directly from hella. Right around $550 each depending on the dia/mount style chosen.

Not slammin ya, just sayin... car forums and magazines aren't good research sources. You should have dug a little deeper before making a statement.

My apologies to the OP for the derailing the thread.
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    SUCH IS MANGO!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12