Going to buy a 2011 WRX
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Going to buy a 2011 WRX within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; So I'm pretty sure I'm going to buy a 2011 WRX when they come out in a few months. The ...

Going to buy a 2011 WRX

So I'm pretty sure I'm going to buy a 2011 WRX when they come out in a few months. The new wide-body look and the fact that I need a car that's going to make it up the mountain for snowboarding season means I need to get rid of the Camaro. It's been a good 5 years, but I want something more practical.

Anyone have experience with the different trims? I'm leaning towards the base model, since I don't really want heated seats, leather seats, sirius radio, better stereo (since I'd upgrade all of it anyway). The only things I want from the higher trims are the HID lights and moonroof, but they're dealbreakers.

I guess I just have to figure out if the moonroof and HIDs are worth $3.5k to me, but I'm leaning towards no.

I can afford the difference with no problem, but I also don't want to get a bunch of features I'm never going to use or end up replacing (like the speakers).

Any thoughts?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Even as a snowboarder you don't want heated seats? I love heated seats (we have them in our Honda) and we don't go up mountains all that frequently.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I Support ClubWRX
    Get the base model, send the 3.5k over to me if you can afford it =P...

...I'd go with the heated leather. I miss leather seats. Only good thing about fabric is girls don't complain that the leather burns their legs when they are wearing shorts, haha.

Unless you can take those heated seats on the lift I don't really see them as being all that great.

Turn your heater on and live with that. At least you won't have to get out of the car to put chains on.

I guess it could be nice to have heated seats, but I usually wear my gear to the mountain and back, so I'm usually pretty warm, but I know my gf would appreciate them.

Another quick question, though. I've read that the stock exhaust sounds like crap and that the SPT sounds pretty good. Is it a good buy from the factory, or are there better aftermarket exhausts for a similar price?

What about the factory short throw shifter? Are there better aftermarkets?

Also, how is the beam pattern on the HIDs? If they're mediocre, they may fall off my list of wants, but if they're very good, maybe it'll push me over the edge to get them.
    Last edited by mikerulzu; 05-26-2010 at 10:16 AM.

Yea if I were you id go with my gut feeling. I've got an '08 and I ride 80-100 days out of the year, snowboarding that is. So the heated seats for me are fantastic for the ride home :] But realistically speaking 3.5k for some improved headlights and a moon roof really aren't worth it in my opinion. Id put it towards a nice roof rack and a sweet stereo. Tough call! GL thought :]

Lightbulb

I'm planning to purchase a 2011, but I'm pretty sure I'm going to go with the Limited. Although I don't need HIDs & Leather, I think I have a valid argument for the extra expense(s).

Here's my argument: I plan to own the car for at least 10 years. The moonroof & the heated seats I'll use for about 1/3 of the year, each (i.e. together I'll use the moonroof & heated seats a total of appx 200 days per year). The HIDs I'll use nearly 312 days per year. If the cost of the "extras" (Limited model over base) is appx $3500, spread out over 10 years, that comes to approximately $0.68 per use, per "extra".

And heck, if it's a particularly cold winter one year, that cost per use (of the heated seats) goes down. Get it?
    2011 WRX Limited, DGM; full tint, SPT CBE/STS w/ bushings, RA flaps, Enkei PF01s, Pink SuperTones, and ClubWRX.net stickers!
    My Photostream
    about.me

I Support ClubWRX
    No, but I still like leather seats, so I support whatever logic you have

Get what you really want- 3.5K sounds like a lot but if you keep the car 4 or more years and you love it, it's worth it. I opted for the premium package- HAD to have the sunroof. And the ONE option you do want is the SPT exhaust, unless you plan to get CAT back right away. The stock exhaust does sound terrible- sounds like PUT- PUT at idle. I took it off and bolted on a Magnaflow at 2K miles, that's how bad it was.

Just went and test drove the WRX. LOVED it! It is a little slow compared to my Camaro, but it's still quick enough for my purposes.

It looks like the winter package that defrosts the windshield wipers comes on the premium & up only, along with the heated seats, so I'm leaning much more towards that now. And at that point, it's only another $1k for the HIDs and leather seats, so I might just opt for the limited, but I really like the blue, which can't be had in the limited. WTF?! This should be such an easy decision!

2011 wrx

I am looking to buy the 2011 WRX as well and have decided to buy the base model myself. Researched it and decided.

sunroof - had them in most of my vehicle and use it like never.

leather and heated seats -- pretty much going for racing seats so I will spend my money there.

Stereo is a total redo so factory radios are not high on my list.

Oh and can't wait to drive my new toy. I am hearing July or August for the 11s to hit showrooms....

Quote Originally Posted by mikerulzu View Post
    So I'm pretty sure I'm going to buy a 2011 WRX when they come out in a few months. The new wide-body look and the fact that I need a car that's going to make it up the mountain for snowboarding season means I need to get rid of the Camaro. It's been a good 5 years, but I want something more practical.

Anyone have experience with the different trims? I'm leaning towards the base model, since I don't really want heated seats, leather seats, sirius radio, better stereo (since I'd upgrade all of it anyway). The only things I want from the higher trims are the HID lights and moonroof, but they're dealbreakers.

I guess I just have to figure out if the moonroof and HIDs are worth $3.5k to me, but I'm leaning towards no.

I can afford the difference with no problem, but I also don't want to get a bunch of features I'm never going to use or end up replacing (like the speakers).

Any thoughts?
    at least in the 2010 i found the 'unheated' seats to be just fine this past winter in ohio. Never noticed them feeling cold. if anything this car will try to roast you unless you keep the climate control dialed down a good bit..

stereo = very crappy for people who like good sound. the speakers are insanely horrible. I can't really comment on the headunit as I replaced that before the speakers.

new headunit + 4 new speakers + some dyanamat or equivalent in the doors = amazing sound. i spent about $900 this past month on it.

I've never had a car with a moonroof so I can't comment on how useful that would be.

instead of spending $3500 on the factory upgrades you can easily get a very nice sounding audio system + aftermarket exhaust and have cash in your pocket.

Sounds like you already know exactly what you want and have good reasons for it. I say go for it.
    -Chris

Quote Originally Posted by mikerulzu View Post

Any thoughts?
    2009 WRX - South Denver, CO

I just got an insurance quote, and it looks like it'll go up about 50% from my '02 Camaro Z28. Never thought I'd be paying more than I do on a v8 sports car.

Hello,
    I am new to the forum and am looking at the 2011 WRX..
    Do any of you know what the price tag on it is going to be ?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast