Subaru WRX Forum banner

*My Aspen White '04 WRX*

5K views 37 replies 10 participants last post by  WRXshun 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello Everyone. Just thought I'd make a thread about my WRX. I bought this car about 7 months ago, so it isn't very new to me. I'm always on this website and just today I finally decided that I'd make a user name and start posting some things. Just to start off I'd like to say what a great site, with a ton of knowledgeable people on here. It's always nice to be able to surf through the forums for whatever it is you're looking for and have a ton of answers to basically anything you need to know. Moving on...I purchased my WRX about 7 months ago, having done a lot of research on Subaru's I decided this is what I wanted and came across this beauty, with only 59,000 miles. So far, I don't have a whole lot of engine mods done, but I plan on doing a fine list of things. Really was hoping to buy an STi, but only being 18 years old and having only 1 job, it would be kinda hard to pay for the car and the insurance, this being a little bit cheaper was easier with the money I had saved and the insurance wasn't as big of a deal, but I am extremely happy with what I have. Hope you enjoy :)

List of Mods so far:
-Prodrive P1's
-Tein Basic Coilovers
-Perrin Front/Rear Sway Bars
-Perrin Front/Rear Strut Bars
-STi exhaust (going to get rid of it once I get more in depth, just got a good deal and it's better than the stock one)
-K&N intake (cheesy, I know, but it will definitely be changed out when I have money for the real parts)
-Cusco Catch Can
-Hella Supertone Horns
-Subaru 4-pot brake upgrade w/ slotted rotors
-Added a 10in. Sub
-Turbo Timer
-Tints, red lug nuts, shift knob, de-badged and a few other things to make it look cosmetically better.

Here are some pictures, let me know what you think:

(YES, I know my license plate number is in the picture)

I also went through the underneath and tidied up everything with some paint, turned out very well!

See less See more
#10 ·
+1 on going wingless. :thumbup: That thing is clean and i'm loving the white. Lose the turbo timer though, it's not doing anything for you. Sell it and put it towards a cat-less up pipe. Definitely the next thing you should swap out.

Oh MAJOR EDIT. That is NOT where the jack stands go. You are going to see some bending the second the pressure comes out of your floor jack.

#16 ·
I had an ap on my 07 sti but have since road tuned it after modifying in my opinion beyond the aps limit. If you want stage 2 and no better I would go with an ap. Even an ap at stage 2 isn't amazing. The downside with the protune is after every modification you need another tune.

#18 ·
Yeah, understood. And it's not like I'm going insane with upgrades, just little things here and there. I think the AP would be suitable for where I'm headed with it. Plans for the future right now are, UP, DP, TBE, wanna do a different turbo setup when I have enough money, injectors, fuel pump, get a big TMIC of some sort spearrco maybe? I don't know about an FMIC because of the ****ty winters in Chicago, but well see...that's where I'm headed really, slow and steady...along with more cosmetic upgrades also.

#19 ·
Invidia makes perfectly good up pipes. And although you will see more power with both pipes installed, a tune is only really needed once you have a cat-less downpipe. I would order that up-pipe right now and install it. Then as soon as you have the funds get a down pipe and tuning software. Unless you are planning some seriously expensive upgrades really soon that AP is going to more than meet your needs. Plus anyone going more than stage 2 or 2.5 without a full suspension overhaul is :screwy:

#21 ·
Yeah, I think the AP would be suitable, for sure. It's just saving the money for it that will take a little while. I think I'm going to order the Up-pipe tomorrow morning and install it when I have time with my Dad. Those "future" plans I speak of wouldn't be for a looooooong time anyways.

#28 ·
How about you buy a Tactrix cable, then download RomRaider and ECUflash. If you're looking for a stage 2 map, I have one I could email you and you could flash it to your car. I know about 15 people with this map that are very happy with it. It also includes a Launch Control set at 3750 if I remember correctly.
I personally can't see how AP's still sell besides the fact that some tuners require them to do pro tunes. That's a lot of money to spend on something that can be done for wayyyy less and be just as efficient.

#32 ·
Im a little late, but welcome to the club! Your car looks very sharp already, and Im glad you already have some ideas of what you want to do with it. How have the mods youve had for the 7 months already been working out for you? And how in the hell is the bottom of your car so clean?! Haha. Also, is it just me or are only your rear windows tinted? What would be the reason for doing this, since Im considering a tint--I thought people just did the 100% of the glass on the car. Enjoy the forum, I know I have been.

Im sure you know a great deal more than me, but just letting you know for comparison, I have similiar plans and here is the order I intend to do them in (as of now, Im completely stock)

-first thing people kept telling me was get your tuning options figured out first, since any mods that dont require a tune wouldnt really be making significant difference. So, considering I need a newb/idiot proof tuning method, I was gonna buy the access port first (which you can install the stage 1 map on with stock parts while you wait to acquire more stuff)
-next thing for me would be the cobb tbe which includes the DP, and once thats installed I will go to stage 2
-only after these things are done will I start to focus on cosmetic stuff, which wont even be that much, probably just tinted windows, and if work is going really well, new wheels. I dunno about this category, I dont think I will mind if my car looks pretty much the same on the outside as long as its a bit louder and can rip up the road more than a stock one.

Anyway, enough about me, just letting you know the order I had spent a lot of time considering/reading about. Have a good one and keep us posted!

#33 · (Edited)
Great post, thanks a lot man. As for the tinted windows it was kinda more for a look rather than keeping the sun out of the car. Plus I'm not really a fan of driving with 5% tints in the front at night, lol, it's just too dark. Not saying that I have to do 5% on the fronts, but you know what I'm saying. As for the mods I already have I'd have to say my favorite one would have to be the Tein Basic Coilovers. They're not the premium ones that Tein makes, but they're definitely better than stock. You can do a whole lot of adjusting on ride height, which just made my car look 10 times better.

Plans as of right now...
-Look for an AP or maybe do some more research on the tactrix cable, I kinda liked that idea.
-Up-pipe, Down-pipe, Rest of the exhaust (Stage 2 it) And I've always liked Invidia for some reason, so I'd probably go with their product, maybe not for the rest of the exhaust after the DP, but definitely the UP and DP. Any thoughts on that?
-Then once I have more money go deeper into the world of modding and actually start aiming for some numbers. Hopefully try and get her to 300awhp, with a long list of mods. I'd be super happy with that, but that won't be for awhile!

#35 ·
Thank you! I tried to clean it up the best I could and I think that's as good as it's going to get. Update: Just ordered my Up-pipe and brand new gaskets! Going to order the Down-pipe this weekend hopefully, hold out on the installation and then once I get the AP, I'm going to install everything and flash stage 2!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.