*My Aspen White '04 WRX* - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on *My Aspen White '04 WRX* within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I had an ap on my 07 sti but have since road tuned it after modifying in my opinion beyond ...

I Support ClubWRX
    I had an ap on my 07 sti but have since road tuned it after modifying in my opinion beyond the aps limit. If you want stage 2 and no better I would go with an ap. Even an ap at stage 2 isn't amazing. The downside with the protune is after every modification you need another tune.

Lead Wrench @ WTF Tuning, LLC

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by CmrnDrgn View Post
    phew hahah. 220... Get an up pipe! You're not going to want a tune until you have one anyhow, getting one won't require a tune, aaand it will save your turbo now, and even more so once you're tuned...
    Yeah, just thrown under there so I could snap a few pictures. I was thinking of going with an Invidia Up-pipe for like $140 or something on rallysport, any thoughts on that? I'm not a newb, I'm just trying to get some opinions on things. Where to start and what not...Kinda wanna do the Invidia Up-pipe and Down-pipe at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by LPPTundWRX View Post
    I had an ap on my 07 sti but have since road tuned it after modifying in my opinion beyond the aps limit. If you want stage 2 and no better I would go with an ap. Even an ap at stage 2 isn't amazing. The downside with the protune is after every modification you need another tune.
    Yeah, understood. And it's not like I'm going insane with upgrades, just little things here and there. I think the AP would be suitable for where I'm headed with it. Plans for the future right now are, UP, DP, TBE, wanna do a different turbo setup when I have enough money, injectors, fuel pump, get a big TMIC of some sort spearrco maybe? I don't know about an FMIC because of the ****ty winters in Chicago, but well see...that's where I'm headed really, slow and steady...along with more cosmetic upgrades also.

Invidia makes perfectly good up pipes. And although you will see more power with both pipes installed, a tune is only really needed once you have a cat-less downpipe. I would order that up-pipe right now and install it. Then as soon as you have the funds get a down pipe and tuning software. Unless you are planning some seriously expensive upgrades really soon that AP is going to more than meet your needs. Plus anyone going more than stage 2 or 2.5 without a full suspension overhaul is
    Blobeye Syndicate #888

Quote Originally Posted by WRXshun View Post
    Yeah, understood. And it's not like I'm going insane with upgrades, just little things here and there. I think the AP would be suitable for where I'm headed with it. Plans for the future right now are, UP, DP, TBE, wanna do a different turbo setup when I have enough money, injectors, fuel pump, get a big TMIC of some sort spearrco maybe? I don't know about an FMIC because of the ****ty winters in Chicago, but well see...that's where I'm headed really, slow and steady...along with more cosmetic upgrades also.
    UP and DP = TBE
    Blobeye Syndicate #888

Invidia makes perfectly good up pipes. And although you will see more power with both pipes installed, a tune is only really needed once you have a cat-less downpipe. I would order that up-pipe right now and install it. Then as soon as you have the funds get a down pipe and tuning software. Unless you are planning some seriously expensive upgrades really soon that AP is going to more than meet your needs. Plus anyone going more than stage 2 or 2.5 without a full suspension overhaul is
    Yeah, I think the AP would be suitable, for sure. It's just saving the money for it that will take a little while. I think I'm going to order the Up-pipe tomorrow morning and install it when I have time with my Dad. Those "future" plans I speak of wouldn't be for a looooooong time anyways.

UP and DP = TBE
    Actually, no it doesn't.
    Uppipe is pre-turbo, no part of the Turbo Back Exhaust

TBE = Downpipe, Midpipe, and Axle back.
    As shown in this thread.
    Exhaust FAQ

Yeah, I think the AP would be suitable, for sure. It's just saving the money for it that will take a little while. I think I'm going to order the Up-pipe tomorrow morning and install it when I have time with my Dad. Those "future" plans I speak of wouldn't be for a looooooong time anyways.
    Legit! I'm getting all excited just reading about your plans, reminds me of what I have in mind for this summer . Tips for stage 2: Search around online for used unmated APs. I paid 140 for mine... Also for the up pipe install spray PB blaster ALL OVER the down pipe heatshield and passenger side engine manifold heat shield. They are both held on by tons of rusted little fun bolts and your fingers will be loving you because of it.
    Blobeye Syndicate #888

Quote Originally Posted by jeremy96gase View Post
    Actually, no it doesn't.
    Uppipe is pre-turbo, no part of the Turbo Back Exhaust

TBE = Downpipe, Midpipe, and Axle back.
    As shown in this thread.
    Exhaust FAQ
    Ah yes, guess that should say UP+DP= stage 2. But DP is the only thing needed for a turbo back exhaust... The rest is merely resonated or not resonated.
    Blobeye Syndicate #888

I Support ClubWRX
    On an 04 a tune is needed for an intake. Sorry.. It also is not really necessary since the stock is good for more horses than your stock block is really going to go.

Lead Wrench @ WTF Tuning, LLC

Legit! I'm getting all excited just reading about your plans, reminds me of what I have in mind for this summer . Tips for stage 2: Search around online for used unmated APs. I paid 140 for mine... Also for the up pipe install spray PB blaster ALL OVER the down pipe heatshield and passenger side engine manifold heat shield. They are both held on by tons of rusted little fun bolts and your fingers will be loving you because of it.
    Thanks for the pointers! I'm glad I went ahead and posted about my car, having others opinions and ideas is awesome. I'm super excited to let the modding begin! I wish you the best of luck with your plans. Where did you find an AP for that cheap, if I can find one that cheap I'd order that before the UP and then get the UP in like 2 weeks or something.

On an 04 a tune is needed for an intake. Sorry.. It also is not really necessary since the stock is good for more horses than your stock block is really going to go.
    +1 lose intake, gain downpipe. Happiness and tire wear will ensue.
    Blobeye Syndicate #888

How about you buy a Tactrix cable, then download RomRaider and ECUflash. If you're looking for a stage 2 map, I have one I could email you and you could flash it to your car. I know about 15 people with this map that are very happy with it. It also includes a Launch Control set at 3750 if I remember correctly.
    I personally can't see how AP's still sell besides the fact that some tuners require them to do pro tunes. That's a lot of money to spend on something that can be done for wayyyy less and be just as efficient.

Thanks for the pointers! I'm glad I went ahead and posted about my car, having others opinions and ideas is awesome. I'm super excited to let the modding begin! I wish you the best of luck with your plans. Where did you find an AP for that cheap, if I can find one that cheap I'd order that before the UP and then get the UP in like 2 weeks or something.
    Got really lucky and found a 1st generation Cobb one in the for sale forum for my specific year. Some are year specific and some aren't. Look around on ebay, here, and nasioc. You may not find one for that cheap, but you will definitely save a boatload of money.
    Last edited by CmrnDrgn; 05-25-2010 at 10:49 PM.
    Blobeye Syndicate #888

Yeah, I know I need a tune. When I bought the car it had the intake on it (why I called K&N somewhat cheesy, just my opinion). I'll hopefully have an AP soon enough and actually make it useful.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast