Variety of questions. 06/07 WRX. Including Maintenance/Cobb AP
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Variety of questions. 06/07 WRX. Including Maintenance/Cobb AP within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; What kind of maintenance should be done at 30k miles? I want to get Cobb AP, and run stage 1 ...

Variety of questions. 06/07 WRX. Including Maintenance/Cobb AP

What kind of maintenance should be done at 30k miles?

I want to get Cobb AP, and run stage 1 while under warranty. Can I do this without getting caught if the engine goes?

What types of things should I consider getting before Cobb AP? 1 step colder plugs?

When I finally decide to go stage 2 besides TBE, what other mods would be a good idea?

Who are the main vendors also? Like the biggest, with the best variety of parts?
    Last edited by Boxing Fan; 05-24-2010 at 07:33 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Boxing Fan
    What kind of maintenance should be done at 30k miles?
    You can see the maintenance schedule here:
    https://www.subaru.com/my-subaru/mai...edule2006.html

I want to get Cobb AP, and run stage 1 while under warranty. Can I do this without getting caught if the engine goes?
    That's not how a warranty works. A warranty is a contract between a car manufacturer and the consumer that their product will work as advertised for a length of time. If you modify the vehicle beyond OEM specs, any warranty claim stemming from that modification can, and will, be denied, especially with something like a blown motor. They know if the car has been reflashed, and will deny the claim on the spot.

If you can't afford to fix whatever breaks, you can't afford to modify your vehicle and should leave it stock.

What types of things should I consider getting before Cobb AP? 1 step colder plugs?
    If you're going the route of the AP, read the map notes for your specific vehicle. Buy parts in accordance with that.

Also, consult the ProTUNER of your choice and discuss your modification path with them, and take their advice.

When I finally decide to go stage 2 besides TBE, what other mods would be a good idea?
    No one can answer that question. You didn't list a budget, any kind of goal, etc.

Who are the main vendors also? Like the biggest, with the best variety of parts?
    There are a ton of awesome vendors available. Some specialize in particular aspects of the vehicle, some are more broad. Without any guidance from you about your goals for the car, no one can answer this question.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post
    You can see the maintenance schedule here:
    https://www.subaru.com/my-subaru/mai...edule2006.html

That's not how a warranty works. A warranty is a contract between a car manufacturer and the consumer that their product will work as advertised for a length of time. If you modify the vehicle beyond OEM specs, any warranty claim stemming from that modification can, and will, be denied, especially with something like a blown motor. They know if the car has been reflashed, and will deny the claim on the spot.

If you can't afford to fix whatever breaks, you can't afford to modify your vehicle and should leave it stock.

If you're going the route of the AP, read the map notes for your specific vehicle. Buy parts in accordance with that.

Also, consult the ProTUNER of your choice and discuss your modification path with them, and take their advice.

No one can answer that question. You didn't list a budget, any kind of goal, etc.

There are a ton of awesome vendors available. Some specialize in particular aspects of the vehicle, some are more broad. Without any guidance from you about your goals for the car, no one can answer this question.
    First of all thanks for the answers.

I was under the assumption you can reflash it back to stock specs if something were to happen. Would they still be able to tell? It's also not a factory warranty. It's a 3rd part drivetrain warranty through a pre-owned dealer.

I meant more of what are other stage 2 items? Is that just TBE and AP?

What I mean by biggest Vendor. Usually there's a couple of leading vendors for each car. The more mainstream bigger vendors that sell anythign you could think of.

I want to keep it relatively stock until I finish college in a few years. Then I plan on building to I can't build no more. I will look up all that in due time, and do my research though.

I think I just need to do some more research. If you could lead me to any good performance articles/guides, and anything else relevant that would be great.
    Last edited by Boxing Fan; 05-24-2010 at 08:57 PM.

I Support ClubWRX
    I was under the assumption you can reflash it back to stock specs if something were to happen. Would they still be able to tell? It's also not a factory warranty. It's a 3rd part drivetrain warranty through a pre-owned dealer.
    Subaru has the ability to tell if the car has any non-factory reflashes. It's not a far stretch to believe that the place you bought your car from wouldn't send your car to a Subaru dealership to check things out if your motor went.

I meant more of what are other stage 2 items? Is that just TBE and AP?
    On the 2.5L, "StageII" usually refers to a TBE and proper recalibration of the ECU (whether it be via Cobb AP, OpenECU, UTEC, Ecutek, etc.). If you're going to be using a basemap like the AP provides, the map notes will tell you explicitly what modifications should be run on the map.

What I mean by biggest Vendor. Usually there's a couple of leading vendors for each car. The more mainstream bigger vendors that sell anythign you could think of.
    I am fully aware of what you meant. Depending on what aspect of your car you're looking for, my recommendation on vendors will vary. I am extremely picky when it comes to who I give my money to; customer service is far more important than price to me.

Engine: most any vendor should be fine. The vendor I've used is no longer in business. I haven't dropped any money into the engine since he stopped, so I'm back to square one finding a vendor I like.

Suspension: Racecomp Engineering / GTWorx or Turn-in Concepts

Driveline: Turn-in Concepts

Brakes: every mod has come from a different place

I think I just need to do some more research. If you could lead me to any good performance articles/guides, and anything else relevant that would be great.
    There are stickies at the top of each forum which provide useful information.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.