how to get 300hp in simple terms? - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

This is a discussion on how to get 300hp in simple terms? within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by 99STM I have to disagree with "If you can't afford quality parts, you shouldn't be modifying your ...

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by 99STM
    I have to disagree with "If you can't afford quality parts, you shouldn't be modifying your car". There are plenty of cars that are more than enjoyable that don't have gobs of money thrown at them, and the owners aren't collecting 3-digit salaries either.
    I clarified my statement at the end - if you can only afford the cheapest parts, you can't afford to fix problems that ultimately come about when you modify the vehicle.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post
    I clarified my statement at the end - if you can only afford the cheapest parts, you can't afford to fix problems that ultimately come about when you modify the vehicle.
    So are you trying to tell me that having an eBay FMIC is going to blow a motor?

Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by 99STM View Post
    So are you trying to tell me that having an eBay FMIC is going to blow a motor?
    No. He is saying that if you modify your car to get 300whp you are more likely to blow something up than if you are at stock 170whp. So if your budget isn't above ebay parts for the build you are unlikely to be prepared for something to go wrong. Makes sense to me
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

Quote Originally Posted by mycologist View Post
    No. He is saying that if you modify your car to get 300whp you are more likely to blow something up than if you are at stock 170whp. So if your budget isn't above ebay parts for the build you are unlikely to be prepared for something to go wrong. Makes sense to me
    Does anyone REALLY have the money to fix blown motors/tranny's? Regardless of the quality of parts they buy.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by 99STM
    Does anyone REALLY have the money to fix blown motors/tranny's? Regardless of the quality of parts they buy.
    Yes, people who are responsible about modifying do. Would they rather spend the money elsewhere? Probably, but that's not the point.

UNYSOC

Quote Originally Posted by Anub1s View Post
    Agreed with EJ257 on all accounts.

The STi TMIC is not going to hold you back from a 300hp goal at all. When you step things up to a higher power goal and a much bigger turbo, then you can see about a bigger TMIC with a smaller pressure drop, but you don't have to switch to an FMIC at that point either.
    i currently have a VF-43, STi TMIC, Turbo XS Up+ TBE, 975cc injectors and fuel pump. installing OEM plugs and new fuel filter for tune on 6/5/10... We shall see. My tuner says i wont see 300whp but i will see 295whp at most.

anyone have input on that?

BTW getting front mount and E85,100oct and 93oct tune later this year, MAYBE a turbo... thats why i chose modded blues
    VF-43 Bugeye: OPEN SOURCE tune... 121xxx miles

13.1@105... Lazy launch 1.9 60'
    285whp and 300WTQ.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by wrxlaunch View Post
    i currently have a VF-43, STi TMIC, Turbo XS Up+ TBE, 975cc injectors and fuel pump. installing OEM plugs and new fuel filter for tune on 6/5/10... We shall see. My tuner says i wont see 300whp but i will see 295whp at most.

Ask the tuner what the typical margin of error is for the dyno you are using. I'd not worry about 5 hp no matter how it's measured though.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by 99STM View Post
    Yes. I do...

Lead Wrench @ WTF Tuning, LLC

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by wrxlaunch
    My tuner says i wont see 300whp but i will see 295whp at most.

End-result dyno numbers mean nothing.

One of the guys who run the CNY site with me has a built block, headwork, and ATP 3076 that "only" puts down 335whp.

Area under the curve, trap speed, and delta power (this requires a baseline of your car) are the only things that matter. My dyno #s are nothing to get too excited about, but I really like my powerband.
    Last edited by EJ257; 05-26-2010 at 04:54 AM.

UNYSOC

How come nobody ever wants 300 lbs/tq? why is it always about the HP?

just sayin....
    Bugeye Mafia Member #177
    New England F4
    VF43'd by Wicked Innovation

Facebook

We do, we just know that if we have 300whp torque ,numbers are similar or right around the corner... And as I said earlier... Have near future plans for E85
    VF-43 Bugeye: OPEN SOURCE tune... 121xxx miles

13.1@105... Lazy launch 1.9 60'
    285whp and 300WTQ.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by teddyb View Post
    I'm new to the Subaru scene and just got a 02 wrx. I was wondering what are some ways to get my car to 300hp that can be done quick and easy?
    on an 02 you'll blow the transmission at 300whp/300wtq. unless you know how to drive the car. If you just got the car... slowly do upgrades so you can feel how the car responds.
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

correct me if i'm wrong or is the sti intercooler's core virtually the same as the wrx core, save for a larger fin area surface?

I'm carefully putting together a reliable EVO III big 16 or equiv. turbo build and I was reading about the jump to an STi intercooler isn't justifiable and to go with a turboXs TMIC or equiv as their cores are significantly better.

Lemme know cause the STi intercooler purchase seems 'ehh', why not shell out the extra dough for a better core?
    Northern Lights Customs

'Helpin' the hood, one can of spraypaint at a time

Bugeye mafia #321!
    XPT Stage II

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123