how to get 300hp in simple terms? - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 43

This is a discussion on how to get 300hp in simple terms? within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by zax + new transmission, new block, and new rods & pistons when you fry all of those ...

  1. #16
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    21
    Quote Originally Posted by zax View Post
    + new transmission, new block, and new rods & pistons when you fry all of those components
    I'm not sure how a VF series turbo or even a baby **** 16g will blow his motor. It's all in the tune.

  2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements
     

  3. #17
    Registered User Merk247's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    catskill ny
    Posts
    192
    maybe not right away.he prob has the non ra gear witdh too..only a matter of time till ..buying an sti really is the quickest way but im in the same boat not being able to afford on comfortably.you can get to 300 but what do u want to sacrifice reliability is the first to go
    If you have everything under control you're going too slow.
    Bugeye Mafia #218 XPT gm bcs stage 2
    my mods
    HIGH MILEAGE CLUB
    ASE CERTIFIED MASTER TECH.

  4. #18
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    20
    I can see the top mount sti holding ya back .. and that the fmic is the way to go ... is there really a big difference between the FMICs ? like him buying the perring or something for 1500 vs buying the injen one for 1200?

  5. #19
    Registered User wrxlaunch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    DC,MD,VA
    Posts
    262
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamalgq View Post
    I can see the top mount sti holding ya back .. and that the fmic is the way to go ... is there really a big difference between the FMICs ? like him buying the perring or something for 1500 vs buying the injen one for 1200?
    only the STi TMIC will hold you back, aftermarket ones such as Turbo XS, Perrin... are WAAAAAAAAAAYYY better choices for cooling, they are just EXPENSIVE and for a few more $$ you cld get a FMIC. Either or is a good choice, just not a STi on a 2L for 300whp and i say 2L cuz a friend of mine has a 2.5Lwrx with STi TMIC and vf34 and made 306 and still going strong.
    VF-43 Bugeye: OPEN SOURCE tune... 121xxx miles

    13.1@105... Lazy launch 1.9 60'
    285whp and 300WTQ.

  6. #20
    Registered User wrxlaunch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    DC,MD,VA
    Posts
    262
    Quote Originally Posted by Merk247 View Post
    maybe not right away.he prob has the non ra gear witdh too..only a matter of time till ..buying an sti really is the quickest way but im in the same boat not being able to afford on comfortably.you can get to 300 but what do u want to sacrifice reliability is the first to go
    you can get 300whp reliably its the fact that once you get 300whp you start to drive like a maniac. you just have to take your time and shift then nail the throttle.
    VF-43 Bugeye: OPEN SOURCE tune... 121xxx miles

    13.1@105... Lazy launch 1.9 60'
    285whp and 300WTQ.

  7. #21
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    21
    I'm not sure where you're getting your facts from but an STi TMIC is not going to hold you back from 300hp. I personally know someone who is running a VF39 on E85, on an 06 STi, making 360ish hp. While this is not a 2.0, it still doesn't make a difference. He also made an 11 second pass on that setup. So I'm not sure how an STi TMIC wouldn't be sufficient for your goals.

    Also, I don't know who would want to spend 1200+ on a front mount when you can buy kits off of eBay for 300-400 shipped. A little modification may be require but I'd rather do that then spend 3x as much.

  8. #22
    Master Baiter EJ257's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    On a stream bank somewhere
    Posts
    19,642
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by 99STM
    I'm not sure where you're getting your facts from but an STi TMIC is not going to hold you back from 300hp. I personally know someone who is running a VF39 on E85, on an 06 STi, making 360ish hp. While this is not a 2.0, it still doesn't make a difference. He also made an 11 second pass on that setup. So I'm not sure how an STi TMIC wouldn't be sufficient for your goals.
    A quality TMIC will allow for a safer, more powerful tune.

    Quote Originally Posted by 99STM
    Also, I don't know who would want to spend 1200+ on a front mount when you can buy kits off of eBay for 300-400 shipped. A little modification may be require but I'd rather do that then spend 3x as much.
    Because the core is garbage? The company that supplies all the eBay FMICs essentially purchased a TurboXS FMIC kit and ripped the design off while cutting every possible corner they could to keep the price down. There isn't a $700 price difference strictly because TurboXS is greedy.

    Besides, if everyone bought parts from companies that ripped off the R&D of companies like TurboXS, what incentive would there be for TurboXS to continue releasing quality parts? While it's good for the consumer to have price wars for comparable parts, the knockoff companies do nothing but hurt the community as a whole.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

    Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

    "Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

    UNYSOC

  9. #23
    Good news, everyone! xxxxxxxAnub1s's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Eh, whaaaaa?
    Posts
    3,855
    I Support ClubWRX
    Agreed with EJ257 on all accounts.

    The STi TMIC is not going to hold you back from a 300hp goal at all. When you step things up to a higher power goal and a much bigger turbo, then you can see about a bigger TMIC with a smaller pressure drop, but you don't have to switch to an FMIC at that point either.
    Cody
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #727 N.E.R.D #255.255.255.0

    Your nighttime volunteer of near-useless information.
    Good news, everyone!

  10. #24
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    21
    Quote Originally Posted by Anub1s View Post
    Agreed with EJ257 on all accounts.

    The STi TMIC is not going to hold you back from a 300hp goal at all. When you step things up to a higher power goal and a much bigger turbo, then you can see about a bigger TMIC with a smaller pressure drop, but you don't have to switch to an FMIC at that point either.
    ^^^
    Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post
    A quality TMIC will allow for a safer, more powerful tune.



    Because the core is garbage? The company that supplies all the eBay FMICs essentially purchased a TurboXS FMIC kit and ripped the design off while cutting every possible corner they could to keep the price down. There isn't a $700 price difference strictly because TurboXS is greedy.

    Besides, if everyone bought parts from companies that ripped off the R&D of companies like TurboXS, what incentive would there be for TurboXS to continue releasing quality parts? While it's good for the consumer to have price wars for comparable parts, the knockoff companies do nothing but hurt the community as a whole.
    I agree with the TMIC statement, I bigger one would be awesome to have but, not a necessity.

    I realize that TurboXS and all of those companies put lots of time/money into making a quality product that satisfies customers but, not everyone can afford them. And a lot of the GC guys that have swaps run eBay kits with no issues at all besides the extremely horrible couplers that blow off with hardly any boost.

  11. #25
    Master Baiter EJ257's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    On a stream bank somewhere
    Posts
    19,642
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by 99STM
    I agree with the TMIC statement, I bigger one would be awesome to have but, not a necessity.

    I realize that TurboXS and all of those companies put lots of time/money into making a quality product that satisfies customers but, not everyone can afford them. And a lot of the GC guys that have swaps run eBay kits with no issues at all besides the extremely horrible couplers that blow off with hardly any boost.
    For the cost of one of the eBay FMIC kits, you can purchase a used TurboXS, Perrin, APS, or Spearco TMIC (I've seen each of these in the $400 or less price range).

    I'm from the school of "do it once, do it right". If you can only afford cheap parts, then you can't really afford to modify your car. Don't consider me being "elitist" with that comment, but if you can't afford a quality part, can you afford to fix the motor/transmission if it blows?
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

    Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

    "Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

    UNYSOC

  12. #26
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    21
    Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post
    For the cost of one of the eBay FMIC kits, you can purchase a used TurboXS, Perrin, APS, or Spearco TMIC (I've seen each of these in the $400 or less price range).

    I'm from the school of "do it once, do it right". If you can only afford cheap parts, then you can't really afford to modify your car. Don't consider me being "elitist" with that comment, but if you can't afford a quality part, can you afford to fix the motor/transmission if it blows?
    I have personally never seen any of the top brand FMIC's go for that cheap but, then again I also have only owned a WRX for a month. I had a 99 L that was just stock so I never looked either but, if that is the case I would do that.

    I agree 100% that you do it right the first time but, when you can find something cheaper that is sufficient and isn't name brand, I really don't see why you should spend the extra money. I'm all for spending money when you have to on certain parts but, not everything needs to be super high quality. I have to disagree with "If you can't afford quality parts, you shouldn't be modifying your car". There are plenty of cars that are more than enjoyable that don't have gobs of money thrown at them, and the owners aren't collecting 3-digit salaries either.

    OP, if you can find a cheap, used, name brand FMIC kit and a seller willing to ship such a part, I would buy it. BUT, if not an STi TMIC will work fine for your goals. You're not pushing that TMIC by any means. If you go with a 16g, I would suggest a FMIC. The FMIC kit that you buy is totally your decision but, I will say that I do not see a problem with buying one of the CXRacing kits off of eBay.

  13. #27
    Admiral Ackbar mycologist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Late Devonian
    Posts
    12,726
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by 99STM View Post
    I'm not sure where you're getting your facts from but an STi TMIC is not going to hold you back from 300hp. I personally know someone who is running a VF39 on E85, on an 06 STi, making 360ish hp. While this is not a 2.0, it still doesn't make a difference. He also made an 11 second pass on that setup. So I'm not sure how an STi TMIC wouldn't be sufficient for your goals.

    Also, I don't know who would want to spend 1200+ on a front mount when you can buy kits off of eBay for 300-400 shipped. A little modification may be require but I'd rather do that then spend 3x as much.
    E85 - weren't some people talking about running that stuff with NO intercooler?
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

  14. #28
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    21
    Quote Originally Posted by mycologist View Post
    E85 - weren't some people talking about running that stuff with NO intercooler?
    I have no idea. I don't know EVERYTHING about E85 but, I do know that it's 110 octane fuel, available at the pump for <3.00/gal.

  15. #29
    Admiral Ackbar mycologist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Late Devonian
    Posts
    12,726
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by 99STM View Post
    I have no idea. I don't know EVERYTHING about E85 but, I do know that it's 110 octane fuel, available at the pump for <3.00/gal.
    It is noted for a VERY substantial cooling effect as well
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

  16. #30
    Good news, everyone! xxxxxxxAnub1s's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Eh, whaaaaa?
    Posts
    3,855
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by mycologist View Post
    E85 - weren't some people talking about running that stuff with NO intercooler?
    I'm sure some people have, but why, I have no idea. That's counterintuitive to wanting to reach maximum power output. Regardless of the cooling effect that your fuel has on the charge, you'll still want a cooler charge to start off with.
    Cody
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #727 N.E.R.D #255.255.255.0

    Your nighttime volunteer of near-useless information.
    Good news, everyone!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •