newbie with a good start and a big 16 g question
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on newbie with a good start and a big 16 g question within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; hey guys ... so im new to the board and this may be post #1 here ... so I got ...

newbie with a good start and a big 16 g question

hey guys ... so im new to the board and this may be post #1 here ... so I got my new ride
    02' wrx black wingless
    cobb downpipe
    perrin cat back sport
    perrin short shifter
    cobb intake
    blitz timer

not a bad start i'd have to say .. i love the ride but its not as fast as my last 1.8t i had suped up.. so im thinking about grabbing a big 16g , pink injectors, walbro and a cobb flash..

My problem is I see the big 16g all over the price range from 299 to 779 .. all pics look identical .. and so do descriptions

ie.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/02-06...Q5fAccessories

and

http://www.godspeednet.com/servlet/t...5-TURBO/Detail

and

http://www.cxracing.com/mm5/merchant...e=TRB-TD05-WRX

are these really all the same or am i missing something??
    thanks guys.. looking forward to many a posts

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

or if you have any other suggestions I am open to suggestions... thanks again

Banned
    I Support ClubWRX
    Every last one of those is junk. eBay is a terrible place to buy turbos if you don't know exactly what to get. Those look the same because they are.

Another point of matter is you're not even tuned for the mods you have. If you did, you would likely be faster than your 1.8T.

I was thinking that it wasn't even tuned yet ... this is how i just bought the car fyi ....

Don't want anyone thinking I just threw this together...

so perhaps first step is to buy a cobb program ?? any thoughts??

also where would you suggest a big 16g from when I get to that point?

I appreciate the advice thanks

Banned
    I Support ClubWRX
    Well, most of the known vendors skip over the Big 16G and go straight to the EVOIII.

Also, I really would suggest a tune for your current setup before deciding to spend even more. A stage 2 (your mods + up-pipe and tune) a WRX is a mid-low 13 second capable car with a good driver. There are multiple engine management choices to pick from other than Cobb's. UTEC, OpenSource, and AP are the primary (and IMHO best) options. Each has distinct advantages. Add in the up-pipe and your turbo will spool much quicker and you'll gain a small amount of power. As for your intake, if you don't have the airbox with it, I suggest buying one. MODE makes one.

Another concern for your wanting to upgrade your turbo is the lack of supporting suspension and brake mods (you probably already have pads down). You would have also needed an intercooler.
    Last edited by brfatal; 05-21-2010 at 11:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by brfatal View Post
    Well, most of the known vendors skip over the Big 16G and go straight to the EVOIII.

Also, I really would suggest a tune for your current setup before deciding to spend even more. A stage 2 (your mods + up-pipe and tune) a WRX is a mid-low 13 second capable car with a good driver. There are multiple engine management choices to pick from other than Cobb's. UTEC, OpenSource, and AP are the primary (and IMHO best) options. Each has distinct advantages. Add in the up-pipe and your turbo will spool much quicker and you'll gain a small amount of power. As for your intake, if you don't have the airbox with it, I suggest buying one. MODE makes one.

Another concern for your wanting to upgrade your turbo is the lack of supporting suspension and brake mods (you probably already have pads down). You would have also needed an intercooler.

ok ill have to take some serious time in seeing which program to start going with ...

ok, uptake makes sense ... good call

my cobb intake is just the short ram with there cone ... no box

and I never thought of the evo turbo...hhmmm that could be even better

I have the subaru performance front , rear strut and sway bars i forgot to mention .. Def need suspension

brakes... i was looking into crossdrilledd and slotted all around ... but then I realized I could throw the sti brembo setup on there and I have been looking around for that as well

thanks for taking the time to run thru this with me ... im looking to really open this baby up

how much power can the stock block and head hold before I have to start getting really into internals?

what vendor / sites do you suggest to do business with for the turbo?
    Last edited by Jamalgq; 05-21-2010 at 11:57 PM.

Banned
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamalgq View Post
    ok ill have to take some serious time in seeing which program to start going with ...

ok, uptake makes sense ... good call

my cobb intake is just the short ram with there cone ... no box

and I never thought of the evo turbo...hhmmm that could be even better

I have the subaru performance front , rear strut and sway bars i forgot to mention .. Def need suspension

brakes... i was looking into crossdrilledd and slotted all around ... but then I realized I could throw the sti brembo setup on there and I have been looking around for that as well

thanks for taking the time to run thru this with me ... im looking to really open this baby up

how much power can the stock block and head hold before I have to start getting really into internals?

what vendor / sites do you suggest to do business with for the turbo?
    Well, it's not a turbo off an EVO (won't fit, Subaru turbos have unique fitment), it's the trim name.

The airbox will keep your intake air temperatures low, as all you're doing right now is sucking in hot engine bay air. The box will keep that hot air out of where the intake draws from. Similar to a cold air intake.

For suspension, get a front sway bar and some good (that means research first) springs.

Brakes, don't get drilled rotors. Most manufactures just drill solid rotors and this can cause cracks after you subject them to stress. Unless you're looking at the high dollar ones where the holes are cast (I wouldn't, it's unnecessary) then look at blank, slotted, dimpled, or whatever else type you please. As for STI Brembos, only the fronts are direct swap. This is a problem though that a lot of Impreza owners make. The WRX's brake balance is already poor, putting Brembos up front will only increase an already bad front bias. If you're on a budget, keep your front brakes stock and look into going H6 rears. If you have a little money, look into Subaru 4/2 pots (what older STIs and '06-'07 WRXs use).

I would be hesitant to run up higher than 320 whp on a stock block. Though, one factor to look at is the mileage on your motor, which can reduce that number.

Sounds like I have a good amount to research... much appreciated

My goal is to shoot around the 275 to 300 whp ( no more than 300 whp ) .. I think that power range will keep me smiling for quite sometime and I won't get bored with the car

ill post up in a few days what i find and what i am thinking of going over ,, maybe you could throw your 2cents in if you have a chance

Sounds like I have a good amount to research... much appreciated
    Keep in mind that it will never end.

Also, Blouch and maybe Slowboy are the only real vendors still selling the evoIII-16G turbo. All other vendors either went belly up or moved on to the next "big thing" turbo to try to increase their sales.

Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/tuning...ne-management/

Start with the opensource sticky, datalogging sticky, and note there is a sticky for Testes' rather potent stage II map just below it (must be logged).
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

I'm wondering now ... I bought this car from a collector of sti's basically ... bad news is he left for school and cant answer my questions... the car runs amazing ... with the mods on it .. i see now that it is pretty much good to go for a stage 2 from cobb... and since it has the cobb intake on it im pondering if the ecu could already have been reprogrammed for the cobb stage 2 ... is there a way Ill be able to tell this ?

Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    I'm wondering now ... I bought this car from a collector of sti's basically ... bad news is he left for school and cant answer my questions... the car runs amazing ... with the mods on it .. i see now that it is pretty much good to go for a stage 2 from cobb... and since it has the cobb intake on it im pondering if the ecu could already have been reprogrammed for the cobb stage 2 ... is there a way Ill be able to tell this ?
    If it was tuned with an AP he should have given it to you because it is married to the car and won't work for anything else.

There is a reasonable chance it is tuned with some other means though. Do you have a boost gauge? Otherwise you need the cable in the link I posted to tell.
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

Quote Originally Posted by mycologist View Post
    If it was tuned with an AP he should have given it to you because it is married to the car and won't work for anything else.

There is a reasonable chance it is tuned with some other means though. Do you have a boost gauge? Otherwise you need the cable in the link I posted to tell.
    Sadly there are no gauges .. Im looking into an a pillar right now ... so I'm ok assuming that with the boost gauge I will be able to tell as the boost would be higher ??

sounds like such a simple question but I always tiptoe around things that are new to me before I dive right in..

I already planned on getting gauges this week or so , and is there anything else I should look for in my gauge setup?

Banned
    I Support ClubWRX
    Sadly there are no gauges .. Im looking into an a pillar right now ... so I'm ok assuming that with the boost gauge I will be able to tell as the boost would be higher ??

sounds like such a simple question but I always tiptoe around things that are new to me before I dive right in..

I already planned on getting gauges this week or so , and is there anything else I should look for in my gauge setup?
    EGT (exhaust gas temperature) and a wideband AFR (air/fuel ratio) Those are your best bets for tuning.

so im ordering a boost gauge , eft gauge and a wideband gauge... I see there are three pillar and 4 pillar gauge pods ... is there another gauge anyone suggests or should I just get the 3 pillar one??

also have already ordered .. injen fmic , uppipe and perrin pulley ... figure ill wait to put these in til my gauges come in and then throw it all in at the same time and take it right over and have it tuned ..

any thoughts about doing this guys??

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.