Probably going to be a new STI owner
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Probably going to be a new STI owner within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; So I am very, very heavily leaning towards getting a 2010 STI, most likely a special edition. My last two ...

Probably going to be a new STI owner

So I am very, very heavily leaning towards getting a 2010 STI, most likely a special edition. My last two cars were American muscle - I had a 2005 GTO, and then a 2003 Terminator. I know what it's like to go fast in a straight line! However, owning two cars is a pain, and I want something nice and fun to drive year round in Michigan. I think a STI would be a perfect fit for me - still quick right from the shop, but can be driven in the rain and snow, and it seems to have a decent aftermarket community. My whole point of posting this is basically to ask - what will I love, and what will I hate about a STI if I get one? I really see no other competitor on the market in that price/performance range. I'm normally all about buying American, but this car looks like such a good fit for me, that I am strongly considering it. What do you guys think? I'm tired of driving old beat up Explorers, and now a (gulp) Chevy Aveo for the majority of the year, while my toy sits in the garage staring at me.

The Cobra is already sold, so there's no looking back now!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I love my wrx, I love the way it looks, drives, and how I can drive it in pretty much any weather condition... I would love to have an sti but, the wrx is good for right now... if your planning on getting a 2010 then I would wait and get the new sedan! Welcome and post some pics if/when you get it...
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #801
    The Impreza "this was repaired/replaced at what mileage" database (Please Contribute)
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/showth...57#post2688257

I Support ClubWRX
    Welcome to the Club!

Keep us posted on how your quest is going ...
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

Thanks for the info. I think I found the car I want. It's a dark gray metallic STI SE. I qualify for the supplier discount so I can get it at invoice price. Hopefully they'll swing me a fair deal on the trade in.

Good news, everyone! xxxxxxxAnub1s's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    That would be a killer deal. Welcome to the site, hope that all works out for you.
    Cody
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #727 N.E.R.D #255.255.255.0

Your nighttime volunteer of near-useless information.
    Good news, everyone!

something I think you'll learn quickly: quick in a straight line is fun, quick in a not-so-straight line is more fun, quick in a not-so-straight line on not-so-perfect road conditions is what makes a subaru a subaru

I agree. I ran a couple of auto crosses in my GTO, and that thing was just too big to throw around corners. The cobra handled a bit better, but I envision this thing to feel like it's on rails. So now the only thing I am debating is, do I go WRX limited, or the STI SE that I've been eyeballing? I'd get a few more creature comforts with the WRX limited - heated seats, nicer stereo, homelink etc. However, from what I gather, even the premium stereo leaves a bit to be desired, so if I wanted a better stereo, I could always do that aftermarket. I think the STI SE has more performance in the long run if I wanted to squeeze a little more performance out of it, so I'm still leaning that direction. Plus, I absolutely love the SE wheels. Hopefully I'll have pics to share of whichever I choose in the near future!

I did pretty much the exact same thing as you. See sig.
    2009 WRX
    2001 Audi S4 (Sold)
    2003 Sonic Blue Cobra 458rwhp/458rwtq(Sold)
    1996 Mystic Cobra 455rwhp/400rwtq (sold)
    1999 BGC T/A 377rwhp/360rwtq (sold)
    2004 Silver Cobra 600rwhp/540rwtq (sold)

Very cool! That silver terminator you had sounds like an absolute monster. So, how do you like the switch to a subie? You went down the same path that I did, so I'd be interested in hearing what you love about going to the WRX, and anything you may be a little disappointed in as well.

Quote Originally Posted by hegleran View Post
    Very cool! That silver terminator you had sounds like an absolute monster. So, how do you like the switch to a subie? You went down the same path that I did, so I'd be interested in hearing what you love about going to the WRX, and anything you may be a little disappointed in as well.
    Honestly, i do not regret it one bit. It's a fun all year round car. Granted, it doesn't have that raw, balls to the wall feel/sound and straight line. But for what it is and the turns etc, it is awesome!! I love it.

Plus it drives through the snow really really good.
    2009 WRX
    2001 Audi S4 (Sold)
    2003 Sonic Blue Cobra 458rwhp/458rwtq(Sold)
    1996 Mystic Cobra 455rwhp/400rwtq (sold)
    1999 BGC T/A 377rwhp/360rwtq (sold)
    2004 Silver Cobra 600rwhp/540rwtq (sold)

I agree. I ran a couple of auto crosses in my GTO, and that thing was just too big to throw around corners. The cobra handled a bit better, but I envision this thing to feel like it's on rails. So now the only thing I am debating is, do I go WRX limited, or the STI SE that I've been eyeballing? I'd get a few more creature comforts with the WRX limited - heated seats, nicer stereo, homelink etc. However, from what I gather, even the premium stereo leaves a bit to be desired, so if I wanted a better stereo, I could always do that aftermarket. I think the STI SE has more performance in the long run if I wanted to squeeze a little more performance out of it, so I'm still leaning that direction. Plus, I absolutely love the SE wheels. Hopefully I'll have pics to share of whichever I choose in the near future!
    I would get the STi if you're looking for something that feels like it's on rails.

I'd get a few more creature comforts with the WRX limited - heated seats, nicer stereo, homelink etc.
    Just remember - most of this stuff is replacable - you can add heated seats, the stereo, even the premium one, will suck, etc.

See, to me, the point of the WRX or the STI is to get a car that's not "cheap", but puts all the expense into performance, rather than creature comforts. It just seems silly to me to dilute that...

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.