Test driving a 06 WRX
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Test driving a 06 WRX within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I'm planning on test driving a 06 WRX this weekend and i'm just wondering if there is anything i should ...

Test driving a 06 WRX

I'm planning on test driving a 06 WRX this weekend and i'm just wondering if there is anything i should be on the look out as far as the car itself. It has 41k miles on it and from the pictures i've seen, it has NOT been modded.

Now, a few questions.

Is there anything that can potentially wear out at 40k miles that i should check out? I'm just looking for any possible issues with the car that i should check out and see if it has them.

I'm not sure what is standard and what is extra on the 06 WRX, but here's a listing of the features: Air Conditioning, Alarm System, Alloy Wheels, AM/FM, Anti-Lock Brakes, Automatic Climate Control, Bucket Seats, CD, Driver Airbag, Fog Lights, Heated Seats, Keyless Entry, Leather Seats, Power Locks, Power Mirrors, Power Seats, Power Steering, Rear Air, Rear Airbags, Side Airbags, Sun Roof, Tilt Wheel, Traction Control.

Lastly, the dealer is saying that the car is in near perfect condition (don't they always) but what would be the going price for a car with the miles it has on it and the equipment?

Thanks to whomever answers my questions.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Welcome...
    As with any performance car look for any aftermarket parts, under the hood for things that might've been moded and return to stock, check the heatshields, look at the downpipe, aftermarket exhaust, and just normal things that look like a younger driver owned it.
    Everything should be in working order with only 40K on it, have a mechanic look at it.

Also look in the forums area for the link to the used wrx/sti buying threads.
    I'm asumming that it is a wrx limited (due to the leather and heated seats) so it should retail from 15-20k I bought my 06 wrx for 15995 about 5 months ago and I love it to death!!!
    Anywho welcome again and enjoy your new car as well as the club!!!
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #801
    The Impreza "this was repaired/replaced at what mileage" database (Please Contribute)
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/showth...57#post2688257

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    get a compression and/or a leakdown test before purchasing. it will be worth the money in the long run
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

Quote Originally Posted by zax View Post
    get a compression and/or a leakdown test before purchasing. it will be worth the money in the long run
    i figured if i liked it and i plan on getting it, a compression test would be on my list before i sign any papers. what does the avg compression run on the wrx?

This is my thoughts from previous car purchases (not really specific to a WRX):

Check that if rolling along in 1st and gently pressing on the brakes that the car will stall and not slip the clutch.

Slam on the brakes from 50'ish and check there's no obvious pull to one side, and that the anti-lock works.

Check out the mpg rating while driving and make sure it makes sense. I'm not 100% sure, but easy cruising should be around 28'ish mpg?

zax
    Quote Originally Posted by Mechoption View Post
    Check out the mpg rating while driving and make sure it makes sense. I'm not 100% sure, but easy cruising should be around 28'ish mpg?
    I'd say no more than 24 mpg on a stock 2.5L setup on the highway. Although lately I have seen 28 mpg on the highway with my 2.0L

Facebook me here

I have an 06 and get between 23-25 mpg, and when I got a compression test it was 150 psi exactly on all 4 cylinders.

Sunroof and leather? Sounds like a limited, hope nothings wrong with it so you can grab it up!
    2006 WRB WRX Sedan @ Stage 2

www.grahamsnodgrass.com

zax
    Quote Originally Posted by Graham46 View Post
    and when I got a compression test it was 150 psi exactly on all 4 cylinders.
    When I change my spark plugs out next week I think I'm also going to perform a compression test (I have the tool)... I have a feeling I won't be so lucky.

Facebook me here

Quote Originally Posted by zax View Post
    When I change my spark plugs out next week I think I'm also going to perform a compression test (I have the tool)... I have a feeling I won't be so lucky.
    I paid more than I wanted to for my car, and it was just a TR, but Ive since realized I was very lucky, the car is in perfect condition and never had a single mod done to it.. just a clutch replaced at some point. I still get pissed when I read about people paying so little for the same year as me and it being a limited though, but such is life
    2006 WRB WRX Sedan @ Stage 2

www.grahamsnodgrass.com

Boost???

I own a 2008 WRX sedan. I always start off by saying I bought it for fun and I don't know much about these cars. Everybody I talk to always talks to me about turbo boost... when I'm running boost and when I'm not... what the heck does it all mean? I know it has everything to do with my turbocharger and I know how a turbo works, but I have no idea what boost means or how it works. Thanks.
    Oh yeah and another question not related to the last... why does my 2008 wrx suck when compared to the earlier models as far as performance??? Drove a 2007 wrx TR the other day with no mods and I WISH my car ran that fast and 'peppy'. Mine feels like an old station wagon in comparison. I know there is nothing wrong with my car I... I only have 20K on it so far and I always get my maintenance done at the dealership and they always do a check and everything is still in "new" condition according to the techs.
    Is there a difference in performance b/t the 2008 wagon and 2008 sedan wrx?
    Thanks everybody!

I Support ClubWRX
    Welcome to the club. Head to the new members section and introduce yourself there, also a good place to ask these questions

Quote Originally Posted by jakemk7 View Post
    I own a 2008 WRX sedan. I always start off by saying I bought it for fun and I don't know much about these cars. Everybody I talk to always talks to me about turbo boost... when I'm running boost and when I'm not... what the heck does it all mean? I know it has everything to do with my turbocharger and I know how a turbo works, but I have no idea what boost means or how it works. Thanks.
    Oh yeah and another question not related to the last... why does my 2008 wrx suck when compared to the earlier models as far as performance??? Drove a 2007 wrx TR the other day with no mods and I WISH my car ran that fast and 'peppy'. Mine feels like an old station wagon in comparison. I know there is nothing wrong with my car I... I only have 20K on it so far and I always get my maintenance done at the dealership and they always do a check and everything is still in "new" condition according to the techs.
    Is there a difference in performance b/t the 2008 wagon and 2008 sedan wrx?
    Thanks everybody!

Lead Wrench @ WTF Tuning, LLC

Quote Originally Posted by marik View Post
    I'm planning on test driving a 06 WRX this weekend and i'm just wondering if there is anything i should be on the look out as far as the car itself. It has 41k miles on it and from the pictures i've seen, it has NOT been modded.

Now, a few questions.

Is there anything that can potentially wear out at 40k miles that i should check out? I'm just looking for any possible issues with the car that i should check out and see if it has them.

I'm not sure what is standard and what is extra on the 06 WRX, but here's a listing of the features: Air Conditioning, Alarm System, Alloy Wheels, AM/FM, Anti-Lock Brakes, Automatic Climate Control, Bucket Seats, CD, Driver Airbag, Fog Lights, Heated Seats, Keyless Entry, Leather Seats, Power Locks, Power Mirrors, Power Seats, Power Steering, Rear Air, Rear Airbags, Side Airbags, Sun Roof, Tilt Wheel, Traction Control.

Lastly, the dealer is saying that the car is in near perfect condition (don't they always) but what would be the going price for a car with the miles it has on it and the equipment?

Thanks to whomever answers my questions.
    Dealers always say their cars are in perfect or near perfect condition. Yes. You'll have to judge the car for your self
    Please check out the Stickies (FAQ's) in this part of the forum.
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/car-purchasing-forum/

zax
    Quote Originally Posted by jeremy96gase View Post
    Dealers always say their cars are in perfect or near perfect condition
    they wouldn't make much money if they didn't.

lol can you imagine? "This car is great. One of a kind. In perfect condition! well, except for the severe rod-knock, the flywheel needs resurfacing, the synchros are shredded, and the brake pads haven't been replaced in 200,000 miles and the calipers have scraped clean through the rotors. Except for those minor things, the car is perfect and you should pay blue book value anyway!"

Facebook me here

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.