New to forum. Cobb Stage 1. Honest impressions

This is a discussion on New to forum. Cobb Stage 1. Honest impressions within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hi All. I'm new to this forum and have recently upgraded my ECM to Cobb Stage 1 93/MT. Of those ...

New to forum. Cobb Stage 1. Honest impressions

Hi All. I'm new to this forum and have recently upgraded my ECM to Cobb Stage 1 93/MT. Of those who have made this change, what were your initial impressions? I ask because being a convert from the Audi/VW world, and having made Stage 1 type ECM upgrades with various vehicles there, I had found the changes to be profound, not only in performance enhancements but in the subtleties of the vehicle's driving "personality". Now, bear in mind I have been driving the current WRX for 40K miles and a year and a half unmodified. I accept that due to a WRX's inherent aggressive personality versus it's Teutonic counterparts anything but rather radical changes would seen quite subtle. The fact is that the Cobb Stage 1 93/MT map feels very subtle to me. Did I set my expectations too high or have I misconceived them? Give me your opinions.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Peachypumpkincheeks

Upgrade to Stage II! Then you'll really notice a difference!

Also, other factors may have led to a lackluster Stage I upgrade. Did you install a catless uppipe? Any other mods on the car (performance or otherwise)?
    Heather | 2002 WRX | Stage 2
    ScoobyDMCtt | Official Bodyguard #2 for the Bugeye Mafia
    TastesLikeAwesome | @Subiestar

Banned
    I Support ClubWRX
    Stage 1 was never meant to make a big difference in power. All it does is smooth the power band and add a few hp.

I just installed the stage 1 93 map also. I guess I wasn’t expecting much when I put the map on. The overall power of the car did not seem to increase a whole lot but the power band seems a lot smoother now.

Actually the only way I know I made power is I raced my friend a few times and he cant pull away from me anymore.
    Blobeye Syndicate # 111
    2005 WRX OBP 5MT.....Invidia cb, Helix dp, Cobb Ap stg. 2, Intake silencer delete

Don't get me wrong. And I should have said this in my initial post. The drivability is now much smoother. It's like someone softened it up and spread it on a piece of toast! This makes me wonder if imbedded in the software are some drivetrain adjustments: Clutch setting, diff., etc. My point was more to the slap in your face power gains. I've seen 16% gain numbers thrown around and that makes one think "this should get my attention". I'm a bit conservative, and this is my daily driver. Stage II doesn't seem like a realistic option to me. As ironies would have it, my reason for a Stage 1 upgrade was to get past the "conservative" factory settings and open the car up a little bit.

on the contrary stage 2 is perfect for the daily driver! much much better low end response/torque make it more driveable at lower rpms... lots less lag and the top end is much better too

overall the car is much funner and better to drive in the city and highway

if noise is of a concern then just get the downpipe/uppipe and keep the stock catback you may loose maybe 5hp? not enough to even notice and it will still sound stock or get a quiet aftermarket exhaust like the borla hush the cobb the maddad whisper or the invidia q300 to name a few

-Alex
    LIVE LOUD, ROCK HARD!!@

2003 WRX wagon 16g + 6 speed

Stage 2

Your biggest gain / cheapest $$ is stage 2. Lots of vendors sell both exhaust and dp's combo's ( tsudo / invidia / erz / perrin ) only differance is the $$$. Heres where alot of my personal friends tossed thier cobb's and went to open source / dyno. Cobb's stage 2 only computes for a catted DP. So if your trying to squeeze every ounce of power out of it, you will want to get a catless dp ( not to mention catless / non resonated exhaust ) which will have to be tuned. If your lucky enough and find some one who knows wtf there doing with romraid, that would be the cheapest route. Dyno's average 500$ per tune in America. ( comparing prices from 3 states ( OH / SC / FL ). I personally had invidia's n1 racing exhaust put on b4 the catless dp. Awesome sound, but no differance. Didnt even map it. Why would i? Had the catless dp installed and open source tuned. Took a couple of hours. And alas holy ****, i see significant change which brings a smile to my face, and at the same time easy to drive around town. Hope this helps bro.

I got my pro tune for $350 in Boca Ratone Fl. It was awesome, stage two at 308HP, 21 peak psi. I am very happy about it.
    STIzzy!

O.K. So now you fellas have got me scratching my chin and thinking: "Hmm, that might not be such a bad idea". I'll do the research and get back with you on what I decide. Thanks for the feedback.

do you have to do engine mods for the stage 2 tune to work

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by unrulyaardvark View Post
    do you have to do engine mods for the stage 2 tune to work
    just a turbo back exhaust... and that's ALL you should have
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

Quote Originally Posted by Sinister View Post
    just a turbo back exhaust... and that's ALL you should have
    uppipe for the catted years, too...