Noob.. 02-04 WRX Daily Driver..?
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Noob.. 02-04 WRX Daily Driver..? within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; New to the world of Subaru and WRX's.. but I've always admired, and looks to be a fun ride. I ...

Question Noob.. 02-04 WRX Daily Driver..?

New to the world of Subaru and WRX's.. but I've always admired, and looks to be a fun ride.

I am looking for a second vehicle, under 10K to use as a daily driver. I drive 55 miles each way every day (around 120 total when i go to the gym, which is 4 days a week). Currently driving an 08 Jeep Commander Hemi, and it's killing my wallet. I recently "traded" rides with my wife, and driving her 2.5 MKV Jetta, but she'll want it back any day now.. She hates the Jeep.

Anyway, WRX is one of the rides on my radar. Looking to spend 10K or under, and i'll be buying through auction. I'm looking for something fun to drive..

Few questions.

#1. How reliable are the 02-04's, assuming stock, buying used with ~100K miles on them? I've read the high mileage threads as i've been lurking for a few days.. Looks promising.

#2. What kind of mileage is everyone getting at highway speeds day-in and day-out? In my Jeep I drive at 74.. in the MKV, I drive at 78.

#3. What kinds of things should I look for in a WRX that would tip me off as one that needs to be avoided or not purchased?

Thanks for the help. I'm sure i'll come up with more..

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

hello and welcome to the club...
    Click on the forums button up top and there should be a link for used wrx/sti buying guides that will give you the most thorough answer for any questions you might have...

I have an 06 and i get about 19mpg with my 2.5L, for under 10k you'll probably find an 02-04 for that price and will be the 2.0L motor so I'm sure you'll get around 23-26mpg out of it...
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #801
    The Impreza "this was repaired/replaced at what mileage" database (Please Contribute)
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/showth...57#post2688257

I Support ClubWRX
    Welcome to the forum.

A well-maintained, stock WRX will be a reliable car...though with 100K on the clock the odds of having to replace a turbocharger at some point are beginning to grow.

Mileage, in my experience, is very dependent upon driving style with these cars. There are people here with Heavy Foot Disease that get 18mpg in a stock 2.0 liter (2002-2005 model years), and then there are old fogeys like me that get 25'ish mpg reliably out of a modified 2.5 liter. If you can keep your foot out of it from stoplight to stoplight, you're basically dealing with a low-compression 4-cylinder, so there's a possibility of getting decent mileage. Having said that, if mileage is the number one goal, you're better off with a Civic/Corolla. AWD Subies are not ideal.

You will want to seek out an unmolested WRX (heat shields in place, and no other signs of tampering under the hood) owned by a grownup since it was new.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    Welcome to the forum.

A well-maintained, stock WRX will be a reliable car...though with 100K on the clock the odds of having to replace a turbocharger at some point are beginning to grow.

Mileage, in my experience, is very dependent upon driving style with these cars. There are people here with Heavy Foot Disease that get 18mpg in a stock 2.0 liter (2002-2005 model years), and then there are old fogeys like me that get 25'ish mpg reliably out of a modified 2.5 liter. If you can keep your foot out of it from stoplight to stoplight, you're basically dealing with a low-compression 4-cylinder, so there's a possibility of getting decent mileage. Having said that, if mileage is the number one goal, you're better off with a Civic/Corolla. AWD Subies are not ideal.

You will want to seek out an unmolested WRX (heat shields in place, and no other signs of tampering under the hood) owned by a grownup since it was new.
    Great info, thank you.. Mileage isn't #1 goal, but its a goal nonetheless.. That being said, anything is better then the 14mpg i'm getting with the Jeep, with its 20gal tank and having to refill every 2 days.

Stupid question. Any way to determine quality of the turbo on a used wrx (length of life) or signs of abuse or needing to be replaced? I'm assuming not, but figured i'd ask the question. And what is the estimated cost to replace, and (opportunity for upgrade?) and level of difficulty for DIY...

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.