About to buy! Some questions.
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on About to buy! Some questions. within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I'm planning to buy a 2005 Subaru Impreza WRX Wagon (YEEAAAAH!) 5-speed with 65,000 miles. It has an aftermarket catback ...

About to buy! Some questions.

I'm planning to buy a 2005 Subaru Impreza WRX Wagon (YEEAAAAH!) 5-speed with 65,000 miles. It has an aftermarket catback exhaust (which is louder than I'd like) and 17" aftermarket wheels (looks good, though). It's had one owner: a guy in his 30's who thought it would be cool to go back to the "boy racer" scene. Then he decided on something more practical: An Acura MDX.

Anyway... I'm curious as to how expensive repairs are on these cars. I've found stage 1 performance clutches on various sites for around $500. How many hours of labor do they charge since it's an AWD system? Also... reliability! I currently own a 2002 VW Passat which has caused me problems since day one. Had it for a year and just now getting rid of it. I don't need another car I'm going to drop $2,000 in repairs in the first few months. I'd like to wait at least two years before something major.

I don't like to drive hard, but will play occasionally and if provoked hard enough, play hard. I shift low (no higher than 2,500 RPM for daily driving) and 90% of my driving is setting the cruise control at 65 MPH just to give you an idea of my driving habits.

So... yeah. All information will be HIGHLY appreciated. I'm looking to get 250K out of this car by the time I'm done (and that's not a big deal since it's all highway).

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I've had my 02 wrx wagon just over six months. I havent had any trouble with it yet.
    only problem that just came up last week is I need a headlight harness which is 707.00
    Plugs cost 224.00 at dealer, I have learned to do them myself since then.

Only downside to mine is the closest Subaru dealer is almost two hours away. SO when I had something break ( my own doing) I had to wait weeks for parts to ship to them(subaru) and then have them ship it to my house.

Youll enjoy the wrx
    2002 WRX wagon STG2

They're asking $13,995 for it. NADA said around $13,200 for clean retail. The only issue I felt when test driving it was a little shudder in the brakes. Perhaps I can get them to knock a few hundred off to compensate for the upcoming repair.

When I had the problem it was due to worn out rotors

13 sounds good for it

it'd try to deal and maybe you can get for 12-12.5

I honestly don't know how much I paid for my wrx but I think it was around 11k I needed a car that day and didn't ask for price.
    2002 WRX wagon STG2

It's a small-time car lot. They're not too happy about negotiations. I'd be lucky to knock off some for the future brake repair. I had to hit the brakes fairly firmly when I test drove it and I felt that familiar shudder...

What does a good set of rotors cost for a Subie these days? I'd like to upgrade the stopping power a little since the car didn't brake as stiff as I would have liked.

I bought mine off a small lot. Make sure to run a car fax. The place I went to didn't do them so I pulled my phone out and ran iPhone app and checked the vin on the spot. There are some small lots that install killswitchs. If you moss one payment they lock the car down. I don't know if it's a shady dealer your looking at but just be careful.

I just googles cross drilled rotors for 05 wrx. 263.00
    2002 WRX wagon STG2

Not too bad. I figure I could probably do the installation myself.

Also... I know there's a huge topic on blowoff valves, but in short: Harmful or not? I read they could throw the CEL or cause extra fuel to be deposited into your muffler/exhaust line, but then I read, "No problems here!" I mean... you just have to love that P-TSH! sound.

Quote Originally Posted by SPDSKTR View Post

Also... I know there's a huge topic on blowoff valves, but in short: Harmful or not? I read they could throw the CEL or cause extra fuel to be deposited into your muffler/exhaust line, but then I read, "No problems here!" I mean... you just have to love that P-TSH! sound.
    First go here make an account on nasioc.com
    http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=34

here is the pros/cons to BOV's
    http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show....php?t=1602235

If you really want a bov ill sell you my Turbo XS bov only few hundred miles on it.
    2002 WRX wagon STG2

I need to get the car first! But how much?

I need to get the car first! But how much?
    PM me an offer

Did you read the entire FAQ on nasioc?

If this is your first subaru id read all the stickys on the forums.
    These cars are way different then the f-bodies that I am used to. I am still learning, there are many other people on here and nasioc that are much more knowledgable than I am.
    2002 WRX wagon STG2

Banned
    I Support ClubWRX

Problems, not if it's adjusted properly. Maybe premature spark plug replacement but that's it. If it's not adjusted right, yes it will cause problems. But there are many reasons to not bother wasting your money on that junk. Aftermarket valves require setup and maintenance while the stock one does not. Also, loud VTA BoVs are extremely obnoxious and generally universally frowned upon by experienced people in the automotive world as nothing but a "hey look at me!" mod.

Also, the reason for the recirculation of air back into the intake in the 1st place is to help keep the turbo spinning in between shifts...
    Last edited by brfatal; 05-19-2010 at 10:34 AM.

Yeah... I've decided against it. It's just extra money I could spend on something else... like a CAR PAYMENT.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.