auto vs stick
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on auto vs stick within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; whatsup, im looking into getting a 02 wrx soon, i would like to get an automatic because i dont want ...

auto vs stick

whatsup, im looking into getting a 02 wrx soon, i would like to get an automatic because i dont want a manual, but everybody thinks that automatic turbo cars are a joke, lol should i still get an automatic wrx? i know its not faster then a manual wrx but i dont really care i just like wrx's? tips on what to do? also ide like everybody who answers me on this post to tell me if your suby is auto or manual, thanks
    Last edited by SubyDoWrx; 05-16-2010 at 08:21 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Do you know how to drive a stick? If not, you should learn. It's a lot more fun than automatic especially if you are getting a sporty car with a turbo. After awhile, driving a car with a manual transmission becomes second nature and unless you have a long stop and go traffic commute to work then the fun you'll have with a stick outweighs the boringness of an automatic.

If you can't tell, I have a stick.

i dont know how to drive a manual, its just i dont think i would like it after a while, and i would get very annoyed trying to get use to it in traffic as you said, And i dont have a problem with my automatic car i have now, i just dont know if automatic is the way to go with turbo cars?

get a manual and learn.... Subaru's automatics take forever to downshift so it will lag out a lot... especially with the 2.0L, it wont really come alive till after 4krpm's!!! trust me if you buy an auto you'll be praying down the road that you had a manual!!!
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #801
    The Impreza "this was repaired/replaced at what mileage" database (Please Contribute)
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/showth...57#post2688257

I don't know too much about automatic WRXs; I'm new to the WRX as well and I was unaware that they were even made. The only turbo's automatic car I've been in is an 5 cylinder volvo station wagon and when the turbo kicked in that thing would move!

I'm not sure of the disadvantages of automatic turbo's cars but I would think that transmission maintenance costs would be cheaper on a car with a manual transmission.

Welcome and good luck with purchasing the new ride!
    Last edited by Les Bill; 05-16-2010 at 09:17 PM.

Automatics are just boring, and obnoxious with the constant shifting. A manual transmission will make you feel more connected to the driving experience.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by SubyDoWrx
    everybody thinks that automatic turbo cars are a joke
    Is "everybody" paying for your car? If not, then what do you care? Get the vehicle you're most comfortable with.

The automatic will not feel as sporty or as crisp, but that can be cleaned up with modifications just like the 5MT versions.

Because of the nature of the vehicle, an automatic will be tougher to find, and tougher to sell once you're done with it (most people would prefer a manual in a sporty car).
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

i have an automatic wrx by choice and am very pleased with it. i thought they would be very fast stock but was a little disapointed. soon after i purchased a downpipe and uppipe and what a difference it made on the auto. it's extremely quick when u mod em properly. boost now kicks in rather quickly and also has very little lag. i also drive to and from work 60 miles a day so that was another reason i went the auto route.

Hey man- stick all the way. I bought my 2010 WRX about a month and a half ago. Great choice. It was also my first stick. I knew the basics of driving a stick before but everything clicked when I actually had to drive on it every day. I also drive 45-1 hour in traffic to and from work everyday. The enjoyment you get from driving it severely out weights the traffic.

I Support ClubWRX
    I prefer a manual transmission but I have male genitalia.. so if you don't then you may prefer an automatic.

I'm just kidding. Pick what you like.
    -The J
    New Members, CLICK & BOOKMARK these links:

"Driving most supercars is like trying to manhandle a cow up a back staircase. . . This is like smearing honey into Keira Knightly" -JC

The WRX comes in an automatic ?

lol, just got a manual 2010 WRX (automatic isn't an option in Canada, except for the base Impreza) and am loving it. Before that I drove a manual 83Hp car, and even though it was severely laking in power, the manual was still a fun part of driving.

If you enjoy driving, then you'll enjoy a manual, it makes for a much fuller and more challenging driving experience, then a 'point-and-shoot' automatic ever will. Plus the manual is better on gas and always shifts exactly when you want it to

I love a stick because u feel more of the ride to me and you are in more control. Here is the bad part, some auto's now get better mpg because of the extra gears like the 6 and 7 speed auto's or CVT. VW says that there auto 6 speed is even faster then a stick 6. But I will always buy a stick I think I have had 3 with a stick now.
    Current Vehicles:
    2009 WRX 5-Door Premium
    2007 Harley-Davidson Heritage
    2007 Suzuki GS500F (Wifes)
    2006 Triumph Thruxton 900
    1998 Forester S (Wifes)
    1976 Ford F-150 (project)

I Support ClubWRX
    I don't buy automatics...

But, you aren't buying my car. Buy what you want!
    Dirty Jersey
    Part-Time Grammar Nazi
    RIP- '02 PSM Wagon
    08 Candy White MK5 GTI 6spd

Moderator:Tri-State and Transmission & AWD forums

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Mechoption View Post
    The WRX comes in an automatic ?

lol, just got a manual 2010 WRX (automatic isn't an option in Canada, except for the base Impreza) and am loving it. Before that I drove a manual 83Hp car, and even though it was severely laking in power, the manual was still a fun part of driving.
    The automatic in 2008+ imprezas are only offered in the 2.5GT sedan, true, not the WRX. The OP is referring to a 2002 WRX, which was offered with the 4EAT.

OP, you won't get the same driving experience with a 4EAT as you would with the 5MT. Your mod paths will be limited as well. However, it is your choice, do what feels most comfortable.
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

my vote's manual, but it seems like 99% of the vote here would be either all out manual, or preference of manual and they'll tell you to do what you want

trust me you want a manual. Torque converters are A. a waste of time B. more weight on your car C. ANOTHER thing that breaks/needs replacing D. trust me you want a manual.
    Northern Lights Customs

'Helpin' the hood, one can of spraypaint at a time

Bugeye mafia #321!
    XPT Stage II

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast