should i buy a wrx or sti?
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on should i buy a wrx or sti? within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; hey ive been reading these forums for a while now and i still cant decide if i should go with ...

should i buy a wrx or sti?

hey ive been reading these forums for a while now and i still cant decide if i should go with a wrx or a sti!

I am hesitant to buy a wrx because ive heard a lot of people say there trannys are very weak and tend to break. Do you guys think the tranny would hold up if i never launch it and have less than 300whp?

or... should i save up for another WHOLE year and buy a sti?

p.s would i be able to reach 300whp in the wrx without buying a bigger turbo?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by scooby90 View Post
    hey ive been reading these forums for a while now and i still cant decide if i should go with a wrx or a sti!
    Drive both before deciding.

Do you guys think the tranny would hold up if i never launch it and have less than 300whp?
    Potentially.

or... should i save up for another WHOLE year and buy a sti?
    Maybe. There's certainly nothing wrong with saving or waiting. By then you may want another car anyway.

p.s would i be able to reach 300whp in the wrx without buying a bigger turbo?
    No.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I think if you can comfortably afford an sti in a year you should just wait out. if you buy a wrx you might regret it later on. I'm getting a wrx but that's only because I wouldnt be able to afford an sti while Im still in school. with that said Im very excited for it because its the best thing I could in my price range imo.

but if I could afford an sti a year from now I would just wait. youll appreciate it that much more. do you need a car asap or do you have a DD that could hold up another year?

Question

Whats a good after market turbo? Exhaust? and controller?
    also does anyone live around dallas or frisco area i have a stock 2005 WRX need advice and help

seems pretty irrelevant to the OPs post. why not just start a new thread?

I think the WRX is a better "daily driver" but that is just me.

My 04' stage 2 provides plenty of power without sacrificing the vehicle's reliability.

Well you can buy an 06 and up wrx and buy a down pipe with a tune and you'll be around 250whp and later get a vf39 kit online I've seen them for 500 with turbo, tmic, and piping... then all you'll need is a tune for it and you'll be around 300ish whp... next year upgrade your clutch and don't beat the **** out of it and you'll be straight....

The STI is a better platform but, your still gonna have to put some work into it to get 300whp. It will cost you probally double on insurence and your payment will be higher...

So Imo you should get the WRX and upgrade it as you go then if your still itching for the STI then buy 1 as a reward for getting through school...
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #801
    The Impreza "this was repaired/replaced at what mileage" database (Please Contribute)
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/showth...57#post2688257

thx everyone for the replies. im thinking a 2006 wrx would be my best bet.

would a stage 2 setup require a tranny upgrage? if not then i will be happy with just that

and.. would anyone recommend the Cobb stage 2 kit?

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by scooby90 View Post
    would a stage 2 setup require a tranny upgrage?
    Not until or unless the gearbox fails.

would anyone recommend the Cobb stage 2 kit?
    Cobb certainly would. There are less expensive solutions out there though. Since you don't have the car yet, I'd not worry. Things change.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

With a Stage 2 map your tranny should be fine as long as your not beating it to death, and if you upgrade your clutch it will save some ware on your tranny...

as for the cobb stage 2 upgrade you can do a full vf39 upgrade for cheaper...
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #801
    The Impreza "this was repaired/replaced at what mileage" database (Please Contribute)

Captain James of the SS Impreza has gone down with the ship Drews's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    Cobb certainly would. There are less expensive solutions out there though. Since you don't have the car yet, I'd not worry. Things change.
    +1

You'd be better off getting a different aftermarket exhaust for half the price and getting a pro-tune. You'd get similar, if not better numbers, from a cobb setup.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #Eleventy,000,000,000|N.E.R.D. Member 20,000
    Stable: 2014 Hyundai Veloster Turbo (Matte Grey), 06 LGT, 03 WRX, 98 RS, 00 OBS

Resident Clubdub Debbie Downer. I'd love your ideas if you kept them to yourself. Subarus suck, get a new wife.

Never argue with idiots. They'll drag you to their level and beat you with experience.

Captain James of the SS Impreza has gone down with the ship Drews's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by 06scoobyrex View Post
    With a Stage 2 map your tranny should be fine as long as your not beating it to death, and if you upgrade your clutch it will save some ware on your tranny...
    Well the first part of this statement is true across the board. But if you beat on any transmission it's going to break. Even a PPG
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #Eleventy,000,000,000|N.E.R.D. Member 20,000
    Stable: 2014 Hyundai Veloster Turbo (Matte Grey), 06 LGT, 03 WRX, 98 RS, 00 OBS

Resident Clubdub Debbie Downer. I'd love your ideas if you kept them to yourself. Subarus suck, get a new wife.

Never argue with idiots. They'll drag you to their level and beat you with experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Drews View Post
    Well the first part of this statement is true across the board. But if you beat on any transmission it's going to break. Even a PPG
    That's to be expected from any transmission.... they don't make an indestructable transmission if they did id buy 1 at any cost...
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #801

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.