This is a discussion on Hello you wonderful people! within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hey guys, I've just joined the forum in fond anticipation of the Impreza ( WRX or STI ) that I ...
I've just joined the forum in fond anticipation of the Impreza (WRX or STI) that I intend to buy over the coming weeks.
I'm looking at the saloon ...maybe a 2005 make. Any pointers on tell-tale signs of wear & tear that I should be looking at ?
apologies if there's a thread on this already.
Welcome to ClubWRX!
Please read the stickies (FAQs) in the car purchasing forum, lots of great information there.
Why is everyone so against purchasing a modified WRX or STI.
OK, the mods could have been done by an unqualified person, and a modded car could mean it has been driven hard, but it seems a rume of thumb on this fourm to "stay away" from even looking.
I drive a modded car that is beautifully maintained, should no one look at buying it?
Welcome aboard. Good luck in your hunting!
02 MBP Stg 2 Bugeye
Bugeye Mafia #107
WRB '02 Stage 2+ WRX - SOLD (and dearly missed)
07 OBP WRX (Wife's) SOLD
thanks for that hearty welcome guys!
I had my first test drive in a WRX (2005 - 43,000 miles on the clock) today...and was it an experience or what!! what a car !!!!
it was also my first time on a turbo...so the kick-in-the-pants was amazing. Can't believe this had just 220 horses. The ride was a lil bumpy as expected (but who cares) and the steering seemed a little jumpy... it was wet and i was doing about 110.
1. is it normal for the steering to be a lil wobbly at high speed corners? or was it just a case of bad wheel balancing ?
2. I was trying to see if the car would just take off in 3rd gear and rode the clutch a few times on 3rd gear at about 3,500 rpm. its started to burn and smell a bit within those 10 mins. is this normal?
3. i'm trying out a 2005 WRX - STI (300 bhp) next week. Is that really a 'special edition' as the dealer claims to be?
i'm hooked big time... couldn't have asked for a better transition from a m'cycle to cars
1. The steering should never feel wobbly. Unless it's so wet the tire is not making proper contact with the ground.
Make sure the tires are in good shape (check for uneven wear), and that they are balanced. It may need to be aligned. It may have a bent rim. It may have a bent suspension component due to hitting a curb or the like.
2. When you say take off in third gear, do you mean from a stop? Taking off from a stop in First gear is best, Second gear in a pinch, third gear never.
3. I'm not familiar with the UK market Imprezas to know what ones are special edition. The all of the 2004-05 WRX STI in the US market make 300hp, and have a 2.5L engine. I think the UK STI of that year may retain the 2.0L EJ207 from the JDM market.