2010 WRX STI Se - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on 2010 WRX STI Se within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Lovin the SE, and welcome to the club!...

Lovin the SE, and welcome to the club!
    Hawk-eye Alliance #156

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Nice car!

Under the assumption that the engineering is similar between years, I would say swapping to the automatic climate control will be very difficult. There's a lot of wiring, electric switching, and other stuff to do.

Those of us with manual controls seem to like enough to not make it worthwhile.
    06 GTO M6 Quicksilver, SLP 455 Bobcat, LS7 Clutch w/ SS line (RPM tune:373rwhp/373rwtq)
    07 WRX TR M5 Garnet Red Pearl w/ Straight PPGs and Cusco front LSD (Agile tune:307whp/343wtq)

Quote Originally Posted by Pavia View Post
    Nice car!

Under the assumption that the engineering is similar between years, I would say swapping to the automatic climate control will be very difficult. There's a lot of wiring, electric switching, and other stuff to do.

Those of us with manual controls seem to like enough to not make it worthwhile.
    The AC in the car rocks. No questions about that. Just would like the climate contol unit, not a big deal but if it was an easy plug in I would do it..

Quote Originally Posted by filezz View Post
    The AC in the car rocks. No questions about that. Just would like the climate contol unit, not a big deal but if it was an easy plug in I would do it..
    It's not plug and play. You have cable controls versus putting in electrical controls.

Here's a good link that describes some of it. Granted, it's for an earlier model, but I don't think the design is much different.

http://images.nasioc.com/forums/show...e+control+swap

I am in the middle of doing this right now. Well I am actually doing a full harness merge, and motor swap, but the climate control stuff is a bit part of it. In fact I just got done putting the heater box together a few hours ago.

I have only seen one thread about doing this that had any useful info in it. One guy actually pieced all the parts together and did the climate control swap by itself. It is sort of common for people do do with a full STi swap, but they usually buy a whole wrecked car and just swap everything.

You do not need a whole new center console. As far as console parts go you just need the 04 STi auto climate control unit and the faceplate for it to replace your climate control unit. This unit has the brains in it that runs the system.

There is a good bit more that you need, though. The heater boxes from auto to manual are the same, but the auto unit has 4 small motors with little arms attached to them that screw onto the side of it, that yours doesn't have. The thermistor sensor in the A/C evaporator is different and is needed. The blower fan housing, fan, and fan resistor box are different also. There is a small corrugated plastic hose and white plastic flange that attach to the heater box as well that sucks a small amount of air through the interior temp sensor in the control unit that is need. You best bet here is to just get a full STi 04-07 heater box and fan housing used.

Then you need the sun load sensor that goes on top of the dash board. You will need to drill a hole to mount this. The ambient temperature sensor clips into a little tab on the radiator support just inside the lower grill. You'll need it also.

Now, if it this doesn't sound bad enough, there is the wiring. Your car doesn't have the wiring for any of this. To wire it all up manually is nearly impossible. You really need a full 04-07 STi bulk head harness to pull all of the wiring out of. If you are still serious about doing this I have an 04 STi bulk head harness laying around that is damaged. I could pull it apart, take out the climate control stuff, label all the plugs, and sell it to you, but you'd still have to run some wires up to the front of the car for the ambient temp sensor, up to the dash for the sun load sensor, de-pin your manual control unit plug and insert the pins into the new plugs.
    06 GTO M6 Quicksilver, SLP 455 Bobcat, LS7 Clutch w/ SS line (RPM tune:373rwhp/373rwtq)
    07 WRX TR M5 Garnet Red Pearl w/ Straight PPGs and Cusco front LSD (Agile tune:307whp/343wtq)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.