New to the subie horse power Q...
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on New to the subie horse power Q... within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; What's up people I'm new to the subie game. Have had a few fast turbo, supercharged and nitrous hondas. I ...

Thumbs up New to the subie horse power Q...

What's up people I'm new to the subie game. Have had a few fast turbo, supercharged and nitrous hondas. I now drive a 90 s13 240sx with a sr20det with a bigger topmount turbo every thing else is stock as far as the engine goes I made 303 to the wheels with 275 torque. I was thinking about selling to buy a wrx can't afford a sti but I love how the subies look and always wanted one. So my question is how much horse power can a stock block non sti motor hold if any one can answer that would be great

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Sammich Makin' Pwincess wrxtreme06's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    there's really no magic number. every car/tune/driver/etc is different.

also- most of the time you need to worry more about your tranny/clutch than anything else.

on the 2.5 models (06+) i'd say you can "comfortably" get away with 300ish- WHP (depending on your driving.. if you race/launch/beat up the car you're not going to get very far!)

desiree
    your friendly, neighborhood subaru girl
    abbigale : 06 impreza wrx tr: cobb stage II
    hawkeye alliance #11:11//
    wingl3ss @ll!ance #17 // lvl 80 N.E.R.D.

Quote Originally Posted by wrxtreme06 View Post
    there's really no magic number. every car/tune/driver/etc is different.

also- most of the time you need to worry more about your tranny/clutch than anything else.

on the 2.5 models (06+) i'd say you can "comfortably" get away with 300ish- WHP (depending on your driving.. if you race/launch/beat up the car you're not going to get very far!)
    Yeah, what she said

I've never owned a Honda, but I sold my modded 02 WRX to get a more powerful Mazdaspeed3. Less than 2 years later I got rid of the MS3 to get another WRX because they are that enjoyable.
    02 MBP Stg 2 Bugeye
    Bugeye Mafia #107

WRB '02 Stage 2+ WRX - SOLD (and dearly missed)

07 OBP WRX (Wife's) SOLD

Welcome. Good luck hunting
    Hawkeye Alliance#208
    "Time to stab out" - Andy Clair

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Boostedkilla187 View Post
    What's up people I'm new to the subie game. Have had a few fast turbo, supercharged and nitrous hondas. I now drive a 90 s13 240sx with a sr20det with a bigger topmount turbo every thing else is stock as far as the engine goes I made 303 to the wheels with 275 torque. I was thinking about selling to buy a wrx can't afford a sti but I love how the subies look and always wanted one. So my question is how much horse power can a stock block non sti motor hold if any one can answer that would be great
    Welcome. There was a post on NASIOC a couple years back, some crazy asses tried to push the limit of a stock LGT open deck block (EJ20 variation of some sort). They were trying to disprove the rumor that the open-deck design was subject to cylinder deformation with high boost pressure applications. Long story short, they threw 40 PSI into the cylinders (with upgraded forged internals) for 15,000 miles, pulled the block apart and measured the cylindricity of the cylinder walls and reported that there was no deformation beyond some tolerance value. Supposedly, the cylinder sleeves are strong enough to hold a tremendous amount of boost without deformation. I don't know how accurate this information is, but it was interesting nonetheless.

I suppose you are wondering how this is applicable to you. Well you could potentially pick up a 2.0L WRX, upgrade the internals (forged pistons, rods, crank) for a small price, especially if you can do the labor yourself, and the motor itself could theoretically sustain very high boost levels. Though typically enthusiasts at this point like to replace the block with an EJ255 for the more favorable torque characteristics of a 2.5L engine (the 2.0L heads are a direct bolt-on to the 2.5L block). The 2006+ WRX share the same 2.5L semi-closed block as the STi, so there is no need for a swap with these blocks.

Either way, like the little lady pointed out, you'll quickly run into the transmission issue -- the stock WRX transmission reportedly will reliably hold approx. 300 ft-lbs of torque before you start taking your chances (just ask Ray ). The WRX is no STi, but it is a very capable machine and there are a lot of mod paths out there for you to choose ;-)
    Last edited by zax; 05-05-2010 at 10:17 PM.
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

Quote Originally Posted by momo02WRX View Post
    Yeah, what she said

I've never owned a Honda, but I sold my modded 02 WRX to get a more powerful Mazdaspeed3. Less than 2 years later I got rid of the MS3 to get another WRX because they are that enjoyable.
    You would be a great person to ask about both the Speed and WRX then?

I am looking at both, still might be about a year out from making a purchase, so 2011 model year, more than likely. Give me your pros and cons of the two?

Thanks.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.