Pushing it safely
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Pushing it safely within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I have a 04 wagon, Stage 2 (91 octane MAP) and the following question... I have read a few posts ...

Pushing it safely

I have a 04 wagon, Stage 2 (91 octane MAP) and the following question...

I have read a few posts about launching and what to do off the line when you want to push your WRX but not break it, however I am curious what people recommend to get off the line quickly with minimal impact on the transmission and clutch.

In other words, whats a safe RPM to rev to while easing the clutch out off the line.

Thanks!
    Last edited by Damon V; 05-04-2010 at 10:18 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    The best thing to do is to not launch. Ever.

Here's the warranty with all my advice: If it breaks your car, you get to fix it and front the entire bill...

A relatively innocuous way of getting the car going fast on tarmac is to do exactly what you'd do for a casual start, but much more quickly. This isn't as silly as it may sound. It's also hard to explain. Instead of letting revs climb to a high point and then engaging the clutch abruptly, try getting the revs just a bit higher than a normal start, and building expertise in engaging the clutch both very quickly and with precise control. Once it catches, then start standing on the throttle.

Just before your shifts, start easing off the throttle and grab a gear, but don't slam them in, that gets expensive.

None of this will produce zero wear on your car. However, if my wording is comprehensible (and it's been dodgy in the past) it is more likely you will be paying for a clutch than a gearbox.

EDIT: Do you ride a bike? If you have life insurance, using the meanest two stroke you can get your hands on to learn launch timing would give an analogous experience. Too much clutch and throttle together hurts, too little throttle or too much clutch too soon bogs and smells, but just right and you're moving briskly.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Thank you for the reply.

It seems like that "sweet spot" lies in engaging the clutch just as the RPM's are building around 3,000-3,500 and then pushing the pedal at a quickened pace once engaged.

I Support ClubWRX
    Basically. Don't let it bog, but also don't let the driveline judder either. This is easier said than done in these terms and it involves synchronizing your left and right feet -- and luck sometimes. The tough part is that mistakes cost money.
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Vez
    Outstanding explanation; that gave me things to work on to improve my driving. Thank you.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #081
    I'm the only person born a Pirate and trained as a Ninja; I sometimes don't get along with myself..
    2007 UGM WRX STI Ltd. #081/800

I Support ClubWRX
    You're welcome guys but please be careful, as I said this stuff isn't cheap if the luck runs out. I don't do this (that does beg the question "then how do you know?!..." but a gentleman never tells!).

SD GR,

Your input is appreciated.

You talk a lot about the consequences of not timing the shift sequence properly in terms of costly damage.

Just curious as to what type of damage you are referring to.

I understand the WRX has a rev limiter that will not allow the vehicle to go beyond a preset limit to project the engine. by the way, does changing the MAP eliminate this?

Anyway, I assume you are referring to damage to the clutch and transmission and I assume you would need hit it pretty hard to do damage to either (in an 04')

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    try getting the revs just a bit higher than a normal start, and building expertise in engaging the clutch both very quickly and with precise control. Once it catches, then start standing on the throttle.
    If I do a normal start, and then once the clutch is fully engaged 'stand on it' I'm assuming that should be relatively easy on the transmission/clutch? Then if I double-de-clutch I should be able to 'slam' it into gear and then stand on it again (avoiding using the clutch for a stab of acceleration during the shift).

I realize this won't win me any races, but it should allow quick (by my standards) acceleration without overly stressing the transmission?

Quote Originally Posted by Damon V View Post
    SD GR,

Your input is appreciated.

You talk a lot about the consequences of not timing the shift sequence properly in terms of costly damage.

Just curious as to what type of damage you are referring to.

I understand the WRX has a rev limiter that will not allow the vehicle to go beyond a preset limit to project the engine. by the way, does changing the MAP eliminate this?

Anyway, I assume you are referring to damage to the clutch and transmission and I assume you would need hit it pretty hard to do damage to either (in an 04')

Thanks!
    The 5 speed transmissions in wrx's are known to be (rather)weak. and although launching could give you a decent advantage in a race, it could also give you a big dis-advantage in your wallet.
    bugeye maffia member #304 l http://www.flickr.com/photos/joe_fonseca/

Plus I bet there is fatigue on the metal parts.

It won't fail the first time, but each hard take-off brings it one step closer to failure.
    -Chris
    2009 WRX - South Denver, CO

Will it do the same damage if I am in 3rd gear and red line it before shirting into 4th or is the damage more done when the car is getting off the line?

Thanks!

Will it do the same damage if I am in 3rd gear and red line it before shirting into 4th or is the damage more done when the car is getting off the line?

Thanks!
    When you're coming off the line.
    2009 WRX - South Denver, CO

Thank you...I appreciate everyone's time in responding here.

My new rule of thumb will be....

Easy off the line and practice, practice, practice my shifts!

Cheers.

Thank you...I appreciate everyone's time in responding here.

My new rule of thumb will be....

Easy off the line and practice, practice, practice my shifts!

Cheers.
    no need to slam gears, remember that. i cant tell you how many people tell me how crazy it is my tranny is still good after 126k miles(knock on wood). then i find out from other people they used to launch the car and slam gears all the time. treat it good and it will treat you good in return
    bugeye maffia member #304 l http://www.flickr.com/photos/joe_fonseca/

I wonder if a short throw shifter is actually more gentle on the tranny since the shorter throw slows the momentum?

Might be a good reason to get that new Mode i have been looking at!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast