2001 wrx

This is a discussion on 2001 wrx within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; hey everyone, i recently bought an 2001 wrx .. dont really no quite that much about them, but after i ...

Question 2001 wrx

hey everyone,
    i recently bought an 2001 wrx .. dont really no quite that much about them, but after i bought it i went and had it mechanically checked and found out it has had "forged pistons" which cause a knocking noise in the engine?? also it has had a 2nd hand gearbox in it from a 2000 model,not sure why though, the mechanic also informed me it hasnt got a standard turbo in it but didnt tell me what size was in it just wondering how i tell what kind of turbo it is? anyone with any advice about these please let me no!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Good news, everyone! xxxxxxxAnub1s's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Welcome to the site! I gotta say something though, can't say I agree with the styling, those wheels are just awful, but that's just me.

As for your car, if you can take pictures of the engine bay (as well as close up of the turbo, especially the stampings on the front near the inlet) we can give you a good idea what's done to it, though we couldn't tell you everything. Forged pistons do make more noise than regular pistons, but based on noise alone, I wouldn't be quick to say it has forged pistons.

Better hope that if your turbo isn't stock that the car has been tuned, otherwise you're looking at a lot of potential problems down the line.

Where are you located anyways? Not the US obviously since the WRX didn't come here until 2002.
    Last edited by xxxxxxxAnub1s; 05-01-2010 at 12:32 AM.
    Cody
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #727 N.E.R.D #255.255.255.0

Your nighttime volunteer of near-useless information.
    Good news, everyone!

hi, yeah i dont really like the wheels either , plus there quite scratched up from the previous owner lol, im located in nsw aus how about you? when the mechanics went over it they said they could tell by something i forget what its called that the engine had been pulled out so thats when they would have done the pistons, but yeah it has a 2nd hand gearbox and diff in it aswell apparently, the mechanic said maybe the previous owner had raced it and blew it up :s but with the turbo i cant see anything riten on it execpt for a PT then a number 2?

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by mulishagirl1 View Post
    hi, yeah i dont really like the wheels either , plus there quite scratched up from the previous owner lol, im located in nsw aus how about you? when the mechanics went over it they said they could tell by something i forget what its called that the engine had been pulled out so thats when they would have done the pistons, but yeah it has a 2nd hand gearbox and diff in it aswell apparently, the mechanic said maybe the previous owner had raced it and blew it up :s but with the turbo i cant see anything riten on it execpt for a PT then a number 2?
    If the engine was pulled it's likely because something gave inside, so yeah that would be when the engine was pulled, though I'm not quite certain how he would tell it was pulled, oh well. If the trans was replaced, I'm almost 100% certain that that car was abused regularly, and the engine rebuild was likely a product of that as well. Which isn't exactly the best news...

As for the turbo, are you sure there isn't a number plate, even towards the bottom of the turbo? Might have a bunch of numbers on it. If not and the only thing cast into it is a PT, I'm not sure what it would be. Precision Turbo is a company that puts out turbo's, but I'm pretty sure they use Garrett and Mitsubishi turbos and I'm not sure they have they're own casted compressor housings.

Either way, that's not a Subaru turbo, so I really hope it's been tuned....
    Cody

Good news, everyone!

oh ok yeah the subaru mechanics said by the sound of it its had a rebuild, ohk yeah i been looking all over the turbo today for some numbers or something but i cant see anything really! im probly looking in the rong spot,all the mechanics said about it was it wasnt a standard one,? so if it is a turbo out of a differnt car is that a better thing in performance?

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by mulishagirl1 View Post
    oh ok yeah the subaru mechanics said by the sound of it its had a rebuild, ohk yeah i been looking all over the turbo today for some numbers or something but i cant see anything really! im probly looking in the rong spot,all the mechanics said about it was it wasnt a standard one,? so if it is a turbo out of a differnt car is that a better thing in performance?
    If it's been tuned, probably a better thing, depends on the turbo. If it's not tuned, then no, you're probably damaging your engine every time you boost, so again, I REALLY hope it's been tuned.
    Cody

Good news, everyone!

I Support ClubWRX
    Do you have and check engine lights on? Does the car run like crap? What gas are you using, brand and octane?

Lead Wrench @ WTF Tuning, LLC

nah none of that stuff happning the car runs great to me anyway lol! just we have never owned a wrx or dont no anything about them and when i brought it my dad freaked out and said i have an engine knock but it turns out to be forged pistons, im putting in the premium fuel i can get, i havent really drove the car much probly only about 10 times since im not licenced to drive a turbo.. but the fastest ive had it at is 165, but it feels kind of **** to drive it at like 50kms or 60 i think the boost may b up to high the mechanic said its running 15 i think???

I Support ClubWRX
    I'm sorry, but I can only see that car being a headache for you. I'd consult a tuner before too long if I were you. If not to get some peace of mind, to actually get what you can out of your car and the modifications it has.
    Cody

Good news, everyone!