New Owner

This is a discussion on New Owner within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; hello to all of my fellow Subaru owners. I just bought my first Subaru it is a 08 WRX, it ...

New Owner

hello to all of my fellow Subaru owners. I just bought my first Subaru it is a 08 WRX, it is a Automatic which most of you will ask why. My answer is because of my injuries i recieved in Iraq does not allow me to operate a Manual it puts too much stress on my back and legs which were injured. it has 2.5L H4, and is Ralley Blue. I have always loved the WRX and grew up around Ralley car Racing ive met Ken block who has disowned us by going to a Ford Fiesta, Dave Mirra, Travis Pastrada for some. But I would like to know what are some basic upgrades you would recomend for me as a beganiner WRX owner? I do not want to stary to far from the factory parts untill i pay it off here in the next year, so i am looking for advice on what kind of upgrades you would recomend to me?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Fireman29 View Post
    hello to all of my fellow Subaru owners. I just bought my first Subaru it is a 08 WRX, it is a Automatic which most of you will ask why. My answer is because of my injuries i recieved in Iraq does not allow me to operate a Manual it puts too much stress on my back and legs which were injured. it has 2.5L H4, and is Ralley Blue. I have always loved the WRX and grew up around Ralley car Racing ive met Ken block who has disowned us by going to a Ford Fiesta, Dave Mirra, Travis Pastrada for some. But I would like to know what are some basic upgrades you would recomend for me as a beganiner WRX owner? I do not want to stary to far from the factory parts untill i pay it off here in the next year, so i am looking for advice on what kind of upgrades you would recomend to me?
    Welcome! And thank you for your service to this country Do a quick search for good upgrade paths, most people will agree that Engine Management and Swaybars are the best first step, and to stay away from intakes and BOVs, but the choice is ultimately yours.
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

thank you

hey thanks i just dont want to get all crazy at first especially when i honestly don't know much about the Autmatic trans. but i do hope that I can eventually boost the Horse power and do a few other mods wihtout having to drop a ton into the Automatic trans not really sure of the differances between the auto and man trans on these cars. But if i was able to drive a Manual Physicall y i would have gotten one with it.. kinda sucks but i gotta watck my injuries, and Thank you I would give anything in a heart beat to be back in Uniform and back over there fighting for my country I loved what i did and I love the Freedom that we have here. i will look into those mods for my first ones thank you, also what does putting a differant exahaust on do for your car besides the sound?

zax
    I'm not too familiar with the 4EAT, but I've heard that it's a pretty decent tranny as far as autos go. Unfortunately it may be tough finding maps for EM that support an auto tranny, someone probably has one tuned one with Open Source.

The catback exhaust will give you sound, but minimal horsepower gain. You can go with the turboback exhaust (Stage 2 power upgrade) but you will need a tune.

Facebook me here

thanks Zax

thanks and I figured it was gonna be a little tuffer going into a WRX with a Automatic but i have to drive what i am physically able too ya know. I know that no matter what Tranny i have auot or man I will have fun in this thing, I have always dreamed of owning one but with the Multiple Deployments in the last 5 years it never made since for me to buy anything because i was never gonna be here to enloy it but now i am a free man.hahahaha but ok I guess a exahaust is something i want you know to add a little better sound to it, I can here the BOV it has in it and it does sound cool and all but not really wanting to put a differant one in, doesnt make any sense to me. I have another ? it has the Stock Brake set up on it, what would you recomend if i decided to get an upgraded brake set? i dont want a $5,000 brake kit but i would like a bigger brake kit on it. what do you recomend i should look at?

welcome to the club
    Hawkeye Alliance#208
    "Time to stab out" - Andy Clair

I Support ClubWRX
    Greetings and welcome the Club!
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

Welcome. I was regular Army 92-95 and I love my 4eat.

Welcome! Sorry to hear about your injuries, with any luck they'll get all better . Hopefully Armin / Verdugo will chime in here or you can contact him about the best available upgrades for engine management when using a 4EAT (I believe that's what he has on his bugeye).
    Float like a butterfly and sting like when I pee

Welcome to the club and congrats on the new car.
    02 MBP Stg 2 Bugeye
    Bugeye Mafia #107

WRB '02 Stage 2+ WRX - SOLD (and dearly missed)

07 OBP WRX (Wife's) SOLD

zax
    it has the Stock Brake set up on it, what would you recomend if i decided to get an upgraded brake set? i dont want a $5,000 brake kit but i would like a bigger brake kit on it. what do you recomend i should look at?
    well I've heard that the best first upgrade for the brake system is to get high BP brake fluid, stainless steel brake lines, and high quality pads. The WRX bakes are notorious for brake fade under constant usage, so increasing the thermal efficiency of the brakes will theoretically reduce the brake fade (I think this is Stage 1 brake work). The other option is to go Stage 2, which includes high-BP brake fluid, SS brake lines, brake pads, and drilled/slotted rotors but uses the stock calipers, so the rotors are the same dimensions as stock. Apart from that, you could perform a dual master cylinder conversion or invest in a master cylinder brace, but the next step up is probably just shelling out the $ for Brembos.

Here's a pretty cool/cheap alternative: I have heard the secret floating around that you can swap out the rear brakes from a 99-01 (I think?) Legacy Outback and gain a small size increase on the rotors without spending too much money. You might want to check on that though. EDIT: I forgot you had an 08, so I don't know if this trick will work...

Inevitably someone will chime in here with much better alternatives so that we can both learn something . For the time being, check out this thread:

Drilled/Slotted Rotorsl
    Last edited by zax; 04-28-2010 at 01:11 PM.

Facebook me here

Thanks everyone

i will def check into those Zax and I was talking to a few people and they were saying the 08 WRX had problems can anyone tell which problems if any this car would have?

zax
    i will def check into those Zax and I was talking to a few people and they were saying the 08 WRX had problems can anyone tell which problems if any this car would have?
    Besides the obvious ringland seal problems and weak transmissions shared by all WRX, I don't know too much about the '08 sorry... it's sort of the odd one out of the WRX family. Someone else is going to have to take the thread from here

Facebook me here