When buying a 2002...

This is a discussion on When buying a 2002... within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I'm thinking of buying a 2002 WRX sedan, manual with 94,000 miles (152,000 km as I'm in Canada.) No mods. ...

Question When buying a 2002...

I'm thinking of buying a 2002 WRX sedan, manual with 94,000 miles (152,000 km as I'm in Canada.) No mods. Is there any common problems or other things that I should look for before I agree on a price? He was asking $14,000 and is down at $12,500 because the clutch may or may not be on it's way out.

About how much may it be to replace a head gasket? It isn't leaking yet, but I hear that is also a problem.

Has anyone actually experienced or seen an issue because of the weaker transmission?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Tyler,

I don't know how Blue Book works with the exchange, but in the US I would expect to pay about 10-11K (MAX) for that vehicle with those miles.

$9,00-$9,500 with a slipping clutch.

The prices do seem to be quite a bit higher in Vancouver, between $12,000 and $14,000 for 2002-2003: vancouver, BC cars & trucks - all classifieds "wrx" - craigslist
    But if I went to Washington, California or the few other places that I looked on craigslist, by the time the import fees, duties, and taxes it would end up being about the same cost.

Tyler,

you have point, I forgot about the fees.

Are WRX's scarce up in Vancouver?

I would say keep looking unless you are in love with the car, then take it to a rep. shop and have it looked at. That does not seem like enough miles to have the clutch going out, he/she could have driven it really hard.

Thanks for all the replies.
    I don't know how I missed the Car Purchasing Forum, mods feel free to move this thread there.

I've had an email alert on Craigslist (in other words, checked it every day) for a WRX up to $16,000 since late December and there have been about 4 or 5 posted that are sedans, manual and unmodified. 3 of which are listed right now, so I guess nobody lists many in the Winter. All of them were listed for between $12,000 and $14,000, the highest being this one. Most between 70,000 miles and 100,000 miles.

When I took this WRX to the mechanic, the way he described the clutch was that it released high and slightly & sometimes shuddered when it was engaged. It isn't failing, but might last longer. Other than that, the car is very clean on the inside, very clean on the outside, just one small scratch and a few paint chips from rocks on the front. Surface rust on the underside. Drives very well & very smooth.

The price was high before negotiation and finding out about the clutch, but now is only about $500 higher than what I may expect to get from the other WRXes I've seen listed including Wagons and modified ones.

Any concerns with the glass tranny? I won't ever street race and don't think I'll take it to a track but may do Stage 2 or 3 type upgrades.

I'm kinda tired of waiting for a different car (have a 1990 Jeep Wrangler YJ right now) and I think I'm about to be like that guy who asks for advice on a forum and listens to none of it. Feel free to think less of me for it.

that shudder from the clutch that your are describing sounds like the known clutch shudder problem of the early wrx's... its annoying but is driveable, mine does it sometimes and sometimes not... its not bad though so I've learnt to live with it and drive around it... as for the high engagement I'd be concerned if it were a mechanical system... its hydraulic so I doubt theres any problems there since the system self adjusts so the engagement point will usually remain the same from new clutch to dead clutch ... you can adjust it somewhat though if you dont like it personally

as for value, I'm in Ottawa and got my wrx 6 months ago (03 with 95000km) for 12000$.. and thats a very good price around here... ones with almost 200000km go for close to 10000$ and there are lots of 04s with 1600000km going for 16000$+
    so 12 500 is a decent deal

as for the tranny dont launch ever and shift smoothly etc etc... and it very well may last a long time I know a couple 02s and 03s with the glass trannys running stage 1 and 2 and they have stock trannys never touched, one of them has 240000km and is even on the stock clutch if i remember correctly...
    however in the middle of 03 they switched the gears in the tranny to ones that are 1mm wider (its in the tranny code on the plate in the engine bay the last 2 digits of the upgraded gears is BA instead of AA for the weaker ones)...

hope I helped!

-Alex
    LIVE LOUD, ROCK HARD!!@

2003 WRX wagon 16g + 6 speed

They are great cars, just have it checked out by someone who knows Subaru's. I had a stage 2+ '02 from new for almost 6 years and 125k miles. (tranny was fine) I traded it in a year and a half ago and have missed it dearly. I recently purchased another 02 WRX for $6,000. It is bone stock and in great condition except I have to replace the A/C condensor, so the price you are debating seems high to me. Good luck and if you do get it, I'm sure you will enjoy it.
    02 MBP Stg 2 Bugeye
    Bugeye Mafia #107

WRB '02 Stage 2+ WRX - SOLD (and dearly missed)

07 OBP WRX (Wife's) SOLD